Thank You From A New Player

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

Knight Rider
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Thank You From A New Player

Post by Knight Rider »

That's a bummer. I will stay hopeful. Do you think it can be an easy fixed?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

There was recently a big rename of all the texture files to be called ".image" so as to be agnostic of the underlying filetype (Jpeg, DDS, PNG).

I know I suggested to clear out the .vegastrike folder. But it turns out that the problem lies in the ".system" generator. There is a configuration variable with the name DefaultAtmosphereTexture with the *obvious* default of "textures/sol/earthcloudmaptrans.png" which of course happened to be one of those files we renamed.

default_atmosphere=vs_config->getVariable( "galaxy","DefaultAtmosphereTexture","sol/earthcloudmaptrans.png");

EDIT: I didn't quite read the source code closely enough, but that is a default. If you look in the planets section at the top of milky_way.xml, there is a "atmosphere" value that *looks* like a boolean, but if you change it to something other than "true" or "false" then you can change the atmosphere for a specific type of planet.

Perhaps we could add another text file in universe/atmosphere.txt... and I guess we can keep that hardcoded default in the source code for backwards compatibility in cast that txt file doesn't exist. This might not be as useful in light of the fact that each planet types can get its own atmosphere.

For now, I suppose we should either copy "earthcloudmaptrans.texture" to "earthcloudmaptrans.png", or else we should add that configuration variable to vegagstrike.config
Knight Rider
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Knight Rider »

ace123 wrote: For now, I suppose we should either copy "earthcloudmaptrans.texture" to "earthcloudmaptrans.png", or else we should add that configuration variable to vegagstrike.config
This is great news, please let me know which you find to be the better option.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There is currently no DefaultAtmosphereTexture variable in vegastrike.config and trying the copy and rename to png now.
Edit: Just tried with the copy rename and there is no effect so time to try the config variable route so ace where should this variable be place i am assuming the graphics section but some guidance is needed :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
RedEagle57
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by RedEagle57 »

I'm using Win 7.0 and could not find my saved games to delete. I found that after I used the Windows compatabilty trouble shooter, I selected to use Win XP sp. 2. I now start with no saved games and I can now find the games I save now. I hope that this will help anyone else with this problem.