Vega Strike content from another point of view

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

bobbens
Trader
Trader

Vega Strike content from another point of view

Post by bobbens »

Hello,

I've been working on a game for the past 4 years or so. It's an 2d action/rpg space game. At first it had no content, no ships no nothing, until I got the idea of using Vega Strike content (models, music, sounds...) to have things look much nicer. You guys have just such impressive models in Vega Strike.

http://code.google.com/p/naev/

Recently I released the game although it's been met with pretty much NULL enthusiasm, and thought I would let you guys know about it in case you want to see Vega Strike from another point of view. Most ship models retain their Vega Strike name, but all the factions and story are dramatically different. No sense in cloning Vega Strike. It is still interesting to try to see Goddards, Lancelots, Pacifiers, Ancestors... from a different point of view.

Thanks for the content Vega Strike, I hope some day I can contribute back some of my own stuff.

bobbens
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Re: Vega Strike content from another point of view

Post by charlieg »

Hey bobbens, sorry for not being enthusiastic in the other forum (me == freegamer). I did get it running but hadn't had a chance to play it properly. It reminds me of Solar Winds (which is a good thing!) but I didn't have time to complete the tutorial let alone play it properly so didn't think to give feedback yet.

Developing indie/foss games is at times a thankless task - you'll get little response for a long time then when it does catch on you get a lot of flack unless it's perfect. That's just something you have to live with, so make sure you work on it for your own fun/benefit more than anything else.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Nice screenshots. Some kind of strategy game, like Masters of Orion?
This is not the best place to announce games, really, as we are mostly developers around here, with too little time to look at what other
developers are doing; but best wishes go to you.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I asked him to post here simply because his game uses VS models.

It's a 2D space rpg. So in some ways it's not dissimilar in theme to VS, although of course the game dynamics are totally different and Naev is much more story-driven.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Looks cool, even though it's a straight copy of my favourite game Escape Velocity ;)

I will check it out.
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Recently I decided, it is playtime again. Since I'm on openSUSE, and it is maybe coincidence (if there is such a thing) that this game was recently added to opensuse repos, I installed it and gave it a try.

First, I was completely surprised by all the VS ships available in the game. It gave me a kind of familiar well feeling.
Besides that I must stress that NAEV is an absolutely amazing piece of work and very captivating. I played it through last weekend.
The way it plays reminds me of an old 3d space game, where graphics were not so good, but the story and wit of the game made the visual aspect very much irrelevant.

Congratulations, bobbens. You have managed to make a very very fun game!
I'm sure will come back for the next versions.

Naturally, I feel a strong call to revisit VS :)
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

And we'd very much love to have you back, old friend. Be it as a player or developer or both. :)
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Thanks, Deus Siddis.

It's good to be back. Let's see how far I get with my Llama before my fingers start itching to change this or that ... :wink:
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

The other side of it is that Vega Strike needs 2D images for interior of planets / bases / ships. Even more so when basecomputer will bew used for "walk your ship" mode.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter