favorite traveling locations...

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

The only bears here are teddy bears. And they don't care much for humans. :lol:

Here are views of spots here in the Philippines:

lol. Will have to find others. :roll: All https led to commercial sites..
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

plueschinger wrote:Hello

@sunfire strange name for someone, who likes Alaska,
not in the summer... nothing like 24 hours of day if you like sunshine... :wink:
plueschinger wrote: I always wanted to do the Dalton highway with a bicycle, and I wanted to start from the north, but there are some problems,

1. You can't go to Pruhoe Bay without special permission, so you have to start from Deadhorse, perhaps you can do the last kilometers by feet to the arctic sea, surrounding
the prohibited area. I don't know.
You told that there are no sharks in Alaska, but for this there are running wild bears around :roll:
1. no... you dont

let me elaborate... the dalton is about 500 miles of dirt/paved road (the dirt part is sometimes better than the paved part) the whole purpose of the dalton is that it is an industrial highway... it is used to service the alaska pipeline and supply the oil industry on the north slope... dont get me wrong... i love my bikes... i dont love sharing a 2 lane dirt road with mostly tractor trailers that weigh over 80,000 lbs (the 32 wheelers and above you dont have to worry about too much.. they only go around 30 miles an hour) blind curves, rocks the size of your head being kicked up by trucks going 70mph and diving in the ditch is not really an option (you can dive... but you or your bike may not survive) and craploads of mosqetos that will drain you dry

prudhoe bay is owned by oil companies. all the land surrounding it for hundreds of sqare miles is also owned by the oil companies and youre not allowed to go off the road and on to their property... if you really want to get to the arctic ocean, you have to pay $20 for a bus ride to the water (no biking on the road)

but... if you know all these things, and you still want to do it... id say by all means! it could be pretty awesome! :) far be it from me to tell you not to do something you want to... just be well prepared... there are more bikes on that road than you might think...

bears you dont really have to worry about too much... common sense will keep you alive... dont sleep with food in your tent... dont sneak up on them... dont get in between the momma and her cubs... carry bear spray... Grizzlies (brown bears) will bluff charge (meaning they charge at you to see if you run... if you do.. they think youre prey and give chase... if you dont.. they think youre predator and leave you alone) Black bears are the ones you want to play dead around.... most bears will leave you alone anyways... if you DO carry a gun, shoot to kill... and kill quickly. there is nothing worse than a wounded bear. as far as carrying them, guns are only as safe as you are...

i like to play in the ocean and im far more worried about sharks than i am bears... bears are hard to miss... you cant see sharks... and they have no hands... they feel if youre good to eat with their mouth...

*chomp*
shark: well.. that didnt taste good...
*spit*
shark: lets find something more edible...
person: um... i think im dying... i wonder what happend to my legs?

plueschinger wrote: ...started undressing immediately...
sounds awesome..... :twisted: :D
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello

I know about the pipeline and the trucks, the Dalton highway was build because of this I think in 1974. Anyway this year is too late to plan and do a tour like this. :(

So perhaps some holidays in the sun in the Caribbean are better. :D
I heard about a very nice beach in Cuba, the Playa Larga,

But the bay has a strange name, it is called "Bay of Pigs" :roll:
Do you have any tips? Suncream I have. 8)

Regards
Plueschinger
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I heard about a very nice beach in Cuba, the Playa Larga,
Just heard, Castro's sick. Cuba might not be so safe in the near future. hope not.

Now the caribbean... ah heaven. :D

Sunfire's going to go green with longing for the sun this winter. hehe.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

plueschinger wrote:Hello

I know about the pipeline and the trucks, the Dalton highway was built because of this I think in 1974. Anyway this year is too late to plan and do a tour like this. :(
well... this year anyways... its already snowing in prudhoe (!) its freaking august! :shock: (heh... whats that saying about a cold day in august?)

oh... and i just re-read your post... um... yeah if you want to get a big pistol for bears... just go to wal-mart... as long as youre over 21 it should be no problem... they are kind of expensive tho... i saw a .50 cal 'survival' pistol there today for $1200 LOTS of knockdown power there... but again... you shoot a bear as absoloute last resort... wounded bears are about as friendly, predictable, and easy to stop as a train wreck.

Oblivion wrote:
Sunfire's going to go green with longing for the sun this winter. hehe.
ive already been very very green for a beach this summer up here... for the most part it has been raining ALL THE TIME!!! :evil: once in a great while the sun comes out and it gets warm and all i want to do is find a beach.. :)
im in a small town called talkeetna right now... its pretty awesome... and the salmon i have been catching out of the river are tasty... especially when you get them smoked... :D and especially eating them raw... yum!

much better than anchorage... was there again last night and hung out with a (unbeknownst to me when i met her) meth dealer... :shock: .... um..... interesting anyways... that place is ranking lower and lower on 'places to go' every time i go there...

oh... the original reason i quoted you oblivion... i *may* soon be in virginia running a bio-diesel operation so um... shifting gears a little... :wink:
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

@Sunfire:

I've started looking at moving someplace coastal and northern (small town, pleasant community, low cost of living etc). Either Oregon, Washington, Vancouver, Alaska, or maybe east coast Maine, Nova Scotia etc...

Know any places up that way you'd recommend checking out?
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

and especially eating them raw... yum!
ugh. :?
(unbeknownst to me when i met her) meth dealer...
cities do become dirtier as they get older... excluding our cities which are dirty from day one. lol :lol:
i *may* soon be in virginia running a bio-diesel operation so um... shifting gears a little...
Does Virginia have beaches? :wink: Can't place it in my mind map. lol Shifting gears.. a little?! Man, you should ahve been born a Rom.
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

@geo:
hmm... low cost of living... um... well... i dont know if such a place exists.. ;) Haines alaska is a pretty cool small coastal town in southeastern AK... kind of rednecky but you can also go build a shack in the woods and live there (illegally of course... but noone cares :) hows that for low cost of living? the weather there isnt too bad either... i think it gets as low as -10 F in the winter (as opposed to fairbanks which gets to like -80)and they get lots of snow in the mountains because its a rainforest... ive heard much the same of skagway but havent been there... right now im in sitka AK which is on an island and it seems to rain here all the time as well... small fishing town where i just worked on a commercial fishing boat and threw out my back... :evil: (you can make lots of money in commercial fishing... liek $20,000 in a month or 3) vancouver BC is pretty awesome.. and pretty expensive.. the only city ive been in that reminded me of San Francisco... there are lots of small coastal towns in OR and WA... a non coastal town called Hood River is a really rad small town in OR... homer AK is a really awesome place too... and coastal... thats my recommendations so far...

@Oblivion: ever heard of Virginia beach? um... well i guess probably not... :wink: VA is on the east coast of the US right about in the middle... and about 5000 miles away from where i am right now...
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

update!
now im in hood river oregon and teaching windsurfing again... well... for this week anyways...
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

ho-ho

And asking Klauss about the falls, I'm thinking you plan on bisecting america - north AND south. :lol:
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

Oblivion wrote:ho-ho

And asking Klauss about the falls, I'm thinking you plan on bisecting america - north AND south. :lol:
well... i blew a head gasket in my car :cry: :cry: so now im kind of stuck in UT... if i can find a place to work on it i can fix it myself... if not it will cost me $1500 or so at a shop...

and actually... i DID plan on doing that when i headed up to AK... i was going to find a high paying job, then buy a dirt bike and head down to cape horn....
plueschinger
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by plueschinger »

Hello
Sunfire wrote:
...then buy a dirt bike and head down to cape horn....
That was what I was telling from the beginning, start in Pruhoe Bay and go south to cape horn. :wink: . O.K at this time I told just about the first part of my future travel to Fairbanks.

@Sunfire perhaps we can do it together, and the money for this travel we make with a little
documentarfilm and a webcam, so that everyone interested in the internet, who has to pay a little bit for this service, can see , where we are, like the english "Big Brother" in television.

At the moment I don't stop to go swiming, the water already has 14 degrees celsius, and I continue until a watertemperature of 10 degrees celsius, this means middle, perhaps end of october ( just to a little training for the cold part of the travel ). :roll:

Regards
plueschinger
Last edited by plueschinger on Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

plueschinger wrote:@Sunfire perhaps we can do it together, and the money for this travel we make with a little
documentarfilm and a webcam, so that everyone interested in the internet, who has to pay a little bit for this service, can see , where we are, like the english "Big Brother" in television.
I would subscribe to that! I hope I get a present for being the first paying costumer :P

And about travels; I would really like to go to Iceland. They got it all; hot water (they got geysers), cold water, volcanoes, icebergs, crazy singers (björk), mountains, and if I'm not wrong 24/7 sunlight (if It's not cloudy, that is) at the summer... I think that's pretty cool, even tho It make it hard to sleep (I was at North Cape once)
VSTrade - A Merchants Guide to Intergalactic Trading!
0.3.0.0 Stable (3 july 2008)
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@plueschinger
awesome idea. :wink: You coudl sell that to someone, y'know.

but if it were me, no thanks. I get goosebumps when I imagine myself inside Big Brother's house. Hell, no privacy?!!

... tho there's no danger of going stir-crazy with plueschinger's idea tho.

@sunfire:

good luck with the gasket and the high-paying job. :P Man! $1500!

That's 75,000 Pesos! Enough to support the average filipino for about two years!!!

@goldengnu

iceland. ya me too. They did come out as the happiest people on earth once didn't they? I like the way they've preserved their culture, the language especially. :wink: Imagine speaking the same language the vikings once did. 8)

The place I really really want to go to is umm... Ireland. tho too bad about the IRA's. So I'll probably settle with some heathlands on scotland. I'd liek to learn gaelic. it sounds cool. 8)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

At the moment the ideal travel location would be cape york Australia. It's Mostly rainforest and it's beautiful.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2