Earth and Beyond sunset, Eve-Online sunrise!

Let the flames roll in...
Err... yeah, well I suppose you can talk about other stuff as well, maybe?

Moderator: Halleck

ezra-s
Merchant
Merchant

Earth and Beyond sunset, Eve-Online sunrise!

Post by ezra-s »

I've been an Earth and Beyond player for a few months and though it wasnt really a space sim and was more a space-rpg I really liked it. Now they are closing it in September and there arent going to be any more updates for it, so everyone is fleeing, so have I.

I found this other game, Eve-Online...

It is so cool, much more complex than EnB, and though they are pretty different it success were EnB failed or did not do so good...

main features:

Warp, it is awesome feature. the best warp ive seen so far in any space game.
Skills, I love the skills, you dont have to be playing all day to have good skills, skills train even when you are offline..
Market and Economics, Its almost like real life...
Corporations/Guilds, you need certain skills to run them and they are greatly organized, you can even declare wars on other corporations and it all affects the way you play...
The sectors or sollarsystems are organized with security levels and your actions in game decide your secturity lvl...
PvP, you can engage fighting with other players, but you have to know exactly where you are (security lvl), who you attack and be well fitted...
Huge Universe, they have it, and though having such huge universe can be a bad point they have managed to organize everything perfectly and so you can enjoy really wherever you go, and whereever you can go you can have a purpose.

Even though the interface is a bit complex so take a few hours to know most of it, the game treats newbies and not-powerusers so they are balanced in the game compared to people that spend all day..

Briefly, I am glad I found eve-online and I think this game may be a model in many things for vegastrike to become the greatest space sim ever.

Ps: I like to try space games, so far ive tried all wc series except privatter II, Freespace and Freespace II, Tie Fighter, tie fighter vs x-wing, x-wing alliance, x-wing rogue squadron (I hate it), Homeworld I & II (well not really this type I mean), etc.. Do you guys know any recent one worth trying?
Test

Post by Test »

Eve Online focuses on a stragety/perseudo rpg type game and realizing that most space mmopg especially this one are just point and click. you actually have to pay a setup fee in order to create your account.. theres a 30 day free trial but then again the fee is $14.95 a month.

there is another massivly online multiplayer game(someone else mentioned).. it was called jumpgate. i playhed this game for 3 years now. The flight engine in jumpgate is twitch based flight combat where a joystick is recommended. though the learning curve for that game is kind of hard because the flight engine relays on newtonian phsyics. the graphics looks outdated. though if your a real wing commander/XvT/freespace fan, you might want to check out this game..
ezra-s
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ezra-s »

I know EVE is point and click but the features I mentioned are cool..

About the 31 trial paying.. there is a 10 day trial for free now due to massive numers of enb players feeling to eve.
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Re: Earth and Beyond sunset, Eve-Online sunrise!

Post by Shark »

ezra-s wrote:The sectors or sollarsystems are organized with security levels and your actions in game decide your secturity lvl...
Interesting.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I picked up EVE-Online out of the bargain bin earlier in the summer, figuring I could afford a MMORPG while I was out of school. (I am also a former E&B player).

I REALLY liked a lot of EVE-Online. Beautiful artwork, nice setting, some cool features and concepts. I fell in love with character generation.

But I stopped playing after a week for three reasons:

1. The only way to get ahead, make money, help your guild was mining.
2. Mining consisted of leaving the station. clicking on an asteroid field in the 'warp to' menu, and then clicking on a rock. After 10 minutes of sitting there, you went back to the station and sold/refined your stuff. NOT FUN!
3. It was impossible to increase the font size from the horribly tiny default.
4. Interstellar travel was neat... but it seriously took 20 minutes to travel 6 or 7 jumps.

So in summation... boring to play.
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

you guys have all missed the real games. Plus you are paying, whats up with that?

If you want a nice free online game, check out Subspace/Continuum.

My fav subspace site is at http://www.subspacehq.com. Go there and get the latest version of continuum and the 0.39pre1 patch.

Then, presto. You've got a great free game. Its got a steep learning curve due to noobs generally being killed as soon as the leave 'safe', but once you played for a few days you get used to it and its all fun from there.

Personanlly my fav 'zones' are SSCX Extreme Games and T3 The Gauntlet, but trench wars and Death Star Battle are also good.

Long live continuum! =)