Problem with the UI

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
rayofash
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Problem with the UI

Post by rayofash »

I was wondering if there are plans to change the UI in the future. Traveling from place to place inside stations is often confusing and it's easy to get lost or completely miss sections of the station (I went around in circles in the first station trying to find the mission computers before I realised they were right there at the beginning).

Also, when you first launch outside the station, the nav map pops up, but the mouse doesn't work. I had to go online and read the manual to learn how to turn it off, only after closing and re-opening it does the mouse start to work.

I remember having these problems over a year ago when I first tried playing the game. Why haven't they been addressed yet?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

the big orange letters tell you how to deactivate the console--we could turn it off to begin with
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
rayofash
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by rayofash »

hellcatv wrote:the big orange letters tell you how to deactivate the console--we could turn it off to begin with
What big orange letters? All I see after launching for the first time is the nav map, everything else is covered by it, even the escape menu after pressing the escape key.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Re: Problem with the UI

Post by jackS »

rayofash wrote:I was wondering if there are plans to change the UI in the future.
Yes, but no fundamental changes are expected before 0.5.0
rayofash wrote:Traveling from place to place inside stations is often confusing and it's easy to get lost or completely miss sections of the station (I went around in circles in the first station trying to find the mission computers before I realised they were right there at the beginning).
Right-click moves between points of interest.
rayofash wrote: Also, when you first launch outside the station, the nav map pops up, but the mouse doesn't work. I had to go online and read the manual to learn how to turn it off, only after closing and re-opening it does the mouse start to work.
The bright orange letters HellcatV are referring to are the ones that say

"PRESS SHIFT-M TO TOGGLE THIS MENU"

rayofash
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by rayofash »

That's only there if you don't have a mission. I'd always go to the bar and get a mission before leaving. Thus, such a thing never came up.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

rayofash wrote:That's only there if you don't have a mission. I'd always go to the bar and get a mission before leaving. Thus, such a thing never came up.
AHA!

Well, there we go then. If the instructions don't appear in all cases, that's a bit of a problem -- thanks for finding that one.