Ideas for the HUD

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Ideas for the HUD

Post by Beowulf »

Hi,

I've made a sketch for the kind of HUD I would like to see in Vegastrike. The ideas mostly come from the F-16 Fighting Falcon's HUD. For information on the gun funnel see the Multi Command Handbook for the F-16 at http://www.f-16.net/downloads_file1.html, pages 111-115.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way, will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Good look i have a few flight combat sims about and like the Su-33's HUD layout a bit better than the F-16's but thats me :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

Could you post a screenshot of the Su-33's HUD?
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way, will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I'll dig around the CD:s to see if i can extract it as i don't have them installed ATM they are windows and i am in my fedora install.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Moe479
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Moe479 »

pretty well concept, i would take it but not without a turnindicator that helps to configure the stick and is abselutly necessary for mouseflight!
maybe u could add also some small icons for ecm on/off, jump and dock

for guns with autoaim ability we need some kind of seeker, similar to the missilelockseeker, that trys to catch the ponit of deah, both point of death and autoaim schould only be aviable if a itts capable scanner is installed.

by the way 'targeting systems' could be new class of equipment that work aside the radar by using its data to get missilelocks, the point of death and operate autoaiming guns, each in a more or less efficient way ...

for the weapons i miss some kind of grouping ability and firemodes like chain, groupchain, fire current selected weapon etc. (mechwarrior 2 and 3 was superb in this matter) plusnb weapons schould turn into a darker color when the target is out of range for them.

the hud should be supported by a basic gui that covers radar, missiongoals, weaponmanagement, target/navepoint-list and chatwindow, etc. that could be operated by mouse and keybord ... freelancer, freespace2 and eve got nice but not perfect guis, i think vegastrike can beat them in many terms!

such a windowbased gui could also be used to represent varios data like marketinformations, reputationlist and mangement for further things that make thier way in when the games grows.

well basicly all the nifty stuff that makes pilots life easier ... :D
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

pretty well concept, i would take it but not without a turnindicator that helps to configure the stick and is abselutly necessary for mouseflight!
Any suggestions on how to do this in a way that doesn't get in the way? :)
maybe u could add also some small icons for ecm on/off, jump and dock
I was only thinking about the center of the HUD here. I think these indicators are not important enough to be put in the center and should rather go somewhere to the head down instrumentation.
for guns with autoaim ability we need some kind of seeker, similar to the missilelockseeker, that trys to catch the ponit of deah, both point of death and autoaim schould only be aviable if a itts capable scanner is installed.
For autoaim the point of death should become a circle of death indicating the degree of freedom the weapons provide. If autoaimed weapons aim slowly enough a seeker like reticle would make sense, yes. :)
by the way 'targeting systems' could be new class of equipment that work aside the radar by using its data to get missilelocks, the point of death and operate autoaiming guns, each in a more or less efficient way ...

for the weapons i miss some kind of grouping ability and firemodes like chain, groupchain, fire current selected weapon etc. (mechwarrior 2 and 3 was superb in this matter) plusnb weapons schould turn into a darker color when the target is out of range for them.
Such features would be desireable. Personally I miss something similar to TIE Fighter's way of cross linking weapons:
1. fire just one weapon at a time to get a continous weapons fire
2. fire weapons in pairs
n. fire all weapons at once
the hud should be supported by a basic gui that covers radar, missiongoals, weaponmanagement, target/navepoint-list and chatwindow, etc. that could be operated by mouse and keybord ... freelancer, freespace2 and eve got nice but not perfect guis, i think vegastrike can beat them in many terms!
Hm, I'm not sure if I want to be dealing with windows and the like in a cockpit. In my opinion it's bad enough that all modern desktop environments are window based, it just slows down my workflow if I don't organize it carefully (and certainly not in the way the market leader organized his operating system...). ;-)
I think such instrumentation isn't important enough to be put in a HUD and should go to the other head down instrumentation as well.
such a windowbased gui could also be used to represent varios data like marketinformations, reputationlist and mangement for further things that make thier way in when the games grows.

well basicly all the nifty stuff that makes pilots life easier ...
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Moe479
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Moe479 »

Beowulf wrote:
Any suggestions on how to do this in a way that doesn't get in the way? :)
al little diffrent colored dot or circle that moves over the screen or within a given invisible/visible box/circle on the screen would do that well ...
Beowulf wrote:
Hm, I'm not sure if I want to be dealing with windows and the like in a cockpit. In my opinion it's bad enough that all modern desktop environments are window based, it just slows down my workflow if I don't organize it carefully (and certainly not in the way the market leader organized his operating system...). ;-)
I think such instrumentation isn't important enough to be put in a HUD and should go to the other head down instrumentation as well.
windowbased wasnt exactly the correct term, in fs2 u could move the most stuff on the screen and change its occupacy within the options of the game, since vegastrike is lacking ingameconfiguration, it would be nice to have a specail hudmode (keycombo) that swtches the hudstuff into some kind of editable 'windows' occupacy, color, move and scale might usfull options on hud objects, when it comes to things like targetlist u might need some extra buttons and keycombos for switching the subviews of the list like navpoints, missiongoals, ships, important/enemies, etc. u maybe wanna edit even the colors and keycombos for the displayed objects aswell
the crosshair and missilecone, misselseeker targetbox ... all stuff thats fixed or is alterated by the game doent have to option to move or scale them, but are just speacail a kind of a 'window' by thinking from the programmers point of view to the whole topic of a customizeabe hud.
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

Hi guys! The image in the OP is pretty awesome. I'd like to see these features added.