My opinion on the development delay and lack of news

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
CobramkII
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

My opinion on the development delay and lack of news

Post by CobramkII »

I work in development on very, very large projects. So I understand very well that often we do our best yet sometimes things don't go as planned.

I'm not upset that there was no new release of Vega Strike in about 8 months now. I've been in disorganized teams in FOOS projects. I understand.

BUT:

When you release anything, even something as insignificant as a screensaver, and as long as you have users, you have a responsibility to update them as to the development status of the software, even if it's free. After all, these are the guys who supported you when you started.

No time for it? Had enough of whiny users? Real life took over? Health problems? Not an issue - we UNDERSTAND. But if development is terminated, you must let us know.

Doesn't have to be a big post, a small note will suffice. Thanks in advance.

PS: I hope you're not on indefinite hiatus. Vega Strike rocks.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

They are working, slowly, towards a new release.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

New release was tagged I believe a couple days ago. Much more development is proceeding on the svn. You may want to check that out if you're looking for new development. I'm not sure what's up with the website and it's lack of development. Or the mailing list and it's complete deadness.

Basically, there are 60 developers only about a handful (5-10) currently actively developing. With a codebase as large as vegastrike, this can mean certain things get overlooked. Though, 3/4 of a year is pretty bad. Perhaps the main problem is nobody has volunteered to help in the areas that need help and the people who used to do it have different lives now.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

So the plan from what I know is to release something nearer to the end of the summer, say August.

I believe it will have rebalanced stats, maybe better campaigns and missions, multiplayer support, better binaries and stuff like that.
Probably a lot of other stuff too.