HOw campaigns could be managed

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
triato
Merchant
Merchant

HOw campaigns could be managed

Post by triato »

In another forum someone pointed a way for a game to manage missions and campaigns. I think many would apply here to, so I post them here modified for vegastrike (my writing is in caps)

Modified from bryce777 on the Mount and blade forums
Neighbor of the Beast
Master Knight

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Age of Ash (development flying high! some nice skins on p.8) « Reply #337 on: January 25, 2007, 10:58:19 pm » Reply with quote

1. For every dialog, there will be at least 2 places where extra dialog options are opened up by having DIFERENT KINDS OF SHIPS OR UPGRADES. (and you will NOT be told they are 'special' dialogs) For instance, SPECIAL SCANER COULD GIVE YOU OBJECTIVES LIKE GET CLOSE TO CERTAIN SPOT AND HOLD GROUND FOR 4 MINUTES, IF INSTEAD YOU HAVE A GOOD FIGHTER YOUR PART COULD BE TO ENGAGE FIGHTERS AND PROTECT THE SCANING SHIP, ETC. YOU WOULD PLAY THE PART YOU ARE MORE CAPABLE TO ACOMPLISH.

2. Where it makes sense, alternative ways to finish quests or even circumvent quests...but not usually in any obvious way. This will be the hardest tim implement, due to coding. YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THE OPOSITE THING FROM YOUR MISSION ORDERS AND GET A NEW BRANCH OF THE STORY. fOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU ARE ORDERED TO DESTROY A SHIP, YOU COULD INSTEAD APROACH IT AND TELL THE CAPTAIN YOU WERE ORDERED TO DO SO BUT WONT DO AND FROM THERE GET NEW MISSIONS.

5. Try to avoid starting quests in obvious ways where it looks like HERE IS A QUEST, GO TO A AND DO B.

6. Have some quests go in unexpected directions or lead into more complex metaquests of some sort.

7. Every dialog will have at least one choice where you will only get one response or the other from them. Not necessarily something of consequence, just little blurbs here and there - if you replay the game you may get a somewhat different feeling of conversation overall by making slightly different choices.

And of course there could be others, if you think of something please post them.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

This is an interesting idea...

With the campaign system, I believe it would be possible to have something happen as a result of owning a certain upgrade, and bring you down a different campaign path (or even a side campaign that waits for a certain condition before it shows up).