I'd like to help

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
daschapa
Trader
Trader

I'd like to help

Post by daschapa »

I'm not exactly a expert developer, but I'd like to participate in developing Vegastrike. I know some Python and C++, but surely it's insufficient, so if anyone wanna tell me what I have to learn, I'll learn it (thrust me, I'll learn it). Of course, my english is pathetic, so you'll need some crystal ball to guess what I'm trying to say.
Well, I'm waiting for your reply.
=======================
Das Chapa
Course to next jump point...
Engage!!!

http://banderas-en-tu-corazon.blosgpot.com
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Python. That's very useful, there's few people with python skills around here.

AFAIK, Python coding is heavily required for campaign scripting. All that is in modules/*.py, so you could take a look, but you'll quickly get lost without knowing the link to the engine.

Sadly, I don't know much about campaign coding, but some other people do. Like dandandaman, or JackS. Feel free to ask them questions, or perhaps to assign you some work if you don't have a preferance.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Hey!

Sorry, missed this in my rushed forum readings... but ya, I guess what do you want to work on? Have a project you'd like to start, continue, or help with? Have any sort of preference to teh sort of work (campaign, dataset tools, main codebase) you'd like to do?

I guess reply with any ideas you have, or ask for anything that needs doing, and we'll be able to find plenty for thee :-)

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
daschapa
Trader
Trader

Post by daschapa »

Well, I was thinking about some improvements in the controls interface, polishing rules and gameplay, and (of course) help with missions and campaings. But i'd like where i must to start reading, I'm not a good programmer, so I'd like to learn about the game implementation first.
=======================
Das Chapa
Engage!!!

dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Well, if you're up for diving into python, there is a fair bit of (old, but mostly valid) documentation for the mission system, and a little for the campaign somewhere I can dig out if you want.

With teh c++ side, unless there's some super secret document that I don't know of, I don't believe there's really much to read...

I dunno, I guess 'controls interface' is c++, but I'm not sure what you mean in regards to improving this. 'polishing rules and gameplay' I guess you have specific ideas for, but otherwise could be just about anywhere.

So ya, um, I guess I'll wikify the stuff that isn't wrt the campaign stuff and post a link. otherwise you'll just have to ask questions :-) If you can catch someone on IM it's probably easiest (mostly), but otherwise forums or dev list (you will need to be subscribed) are also good :-)

Dan
-- Pablo Picasso
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

See here for the python intro, and stuff about the mission system:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... t_Missions

And here for a very brief intro to campaigns (too brief ... i appear to have lost some of the overview i used to have).

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... _Campaigns

Dan
-- Pablo Picasso
daschapa
Trader
Trader

Post by daschapa »

dandandaman wrote:I dunno, I guess 'controls interface' is c++, but I'm not sure what you mean in regards to improving this. 'polishing rules and gameplay' I guess you have specific ideas for, but otherwise could be just about anywhere.
Well, some feature requests are focused in rules or gameplay, some days ago I was posting in a topic that deviated to "how-to-board-a-ship", so, there are some sugestions that you have not much time to implement.
I guess it will take some time before I can understand the system and its code, but with the clues you gave to me it will take a little less.
Excuse my english. Cya
=======================
Das Chapa
Engage!!!

Kavar
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Hey me too!

Post by Kavar »

I would genuinely like to help, I love what you guys have done...

I have a very broad base of programming syntax knowledge so I can pretty much dive into anything... But since you guys all have intimate knowledge that takes so much time to aquire it might make sense if you can point me towards some lose ends or other grunt work that would otherwise monopolize your time so you guys with the S|<iLLz can keep working on the magic.

let me know
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Re: Hey me too!

Post by jackS »

Kavar wrote:I would genuinely like to help, I love what you guys have done...

I have a very broad base of programming syntax knowledge so I can pretty much dive into anything... But since you guys all have intimate knowledge that takes so much time to aquire it might make sense if you can point me towards some lose ends or other grunt work that would otherwise monopolize your time so you guys with the S|<iLLz can keep working on the magic.

let me know
Just to make sure this doesn't get lost among the forum posts, I'd recommend that you fire off an e-mail to the VS mailing list.
Kavar
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Kavar »

well I feel like an r-tard... where the heck is the mailing list email?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Kavar wrote:well I feel like an r-tard... where the heck is the mailing list email?
vegastrike-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

due to spam, the members only option has been turned on, so you will need to subscribe before you can send mail to the list.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

try the sourceforge project page http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=19507 there is a link to subscribe to the various lists. 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Kavar
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Kavar »

Much Gras!
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Kavar, just making sure you are in fact the "noob on the scene". :-)

Dan
-- Pablo Picasso