reflexions on cargo quantities

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
jere19
Trader
Trader

reflexions on cargo quantities

Post by jere19 »

maybe i haven't explored the right systems for trade yet, but for now most of the time i have difficulties to fill my llama with the goods i want to buy.
It worries me, especially when i see the cargo space of some merchant ships.
How is it possible to fill a mule ? :shock:

I think that production of planets, mining base and such should be more than a few dozen units (in the goods produced localy of course).
Though it would be normal to have little quantities in outpost or relay.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I believe that that problem is being addressed atm. Ship stats are being rebalanced so the cargo area being rather large might be fixed already in the development version (I personally don't know, :P )

If you would like to see the current dev version download the SVN version or get the zipped snapshot at http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=6749
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
jere19
Trader
Trader

Post by jere19 »

I am already using the svn version (of a few days ago).
I'm going to check if it has changed since. Else the question is still open.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

The current data set is being worked on and we know of these quirks. Of course you cannot fill your ship's cargo space if pretty much everything, e.g. such things as an entire factory (!), is 1 cubic meter in volume and of weight 1 ton. The current data is more like a placeholder. I have a new cargo list in the pipeline that includes some drastic changes for the number and varieties of the items. There has also been done some work to add realistic volumes and masses, which will be continued after this basic cleaning.

Besides, the quantities you can buy at the bases is not all they produce. This is just what they offer to people that drop by. The major fraction for the production is not visible to you as it goes directly to the storages and big haulers of the shipping companies.
Rabiator
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Rabiator »

In some cases, units of 1 ton are perfectly OK, but the station should have more to sell.
Think loading water on a (non-desert :wink: ) planet or ores on a mining station. Having a few thousand tons of such commodities to sell would not be exaggerated.
tuna
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by tuna »

Zeog wrote:The current data is more like a placeholder. I have a new cargo list in the pipeline that includes some drastic changes for the number and varieties of the items. There has also been done some work to add realistic volumes and masses, which will be continued after this basic cleaning.
Is there any chance to get a peek at where the progress is right now?
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Yes, I just committed the new cargo item list. As it is work in progress the ocean planets will now but for a limited time only sell every item, so we can do a little testing. The other planets however have not much to offer. If you check out the latest version from svn you may peek but you pretty much lose all your trade routes... :)
eddit
Merchant
Merchant

Post by eddit »

Zeog wrote:The current data is more like a placeholder. I have a new cargo list in the pipeline that includes some drastic changes for the number and varieties of the items. There has also been done some work to add realistic volumes and masses, which will be continued after this basic cleaning.
I'd be happy to update the wiki with any new categories and cargo items that you come up with. I did some of the initial work adding the cargo items in the wiki.

eddit
"beauty is skin deep
but samples with keratin
are just plain ugly"
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Hmm, I think it could do with imrovement, and maybye changed to cargo upgrade..?