light units

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
prolog
Hunter
Hunter

light units

Post by prolog »

Small feature request:

If an object is more than 60 light seconds away, change the units to light minutes.

After 60 light minutes, change to light hours.

After 24 light hours, light days.

And so on.

Wouldn't take much to implement!
Current rig: Refurbished Robin
Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

What's the point ? If you are more than 60 lightseconds away from any object , it just means you are way out of the system :P
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Isn't jupiter 500 light seconds from the sun? (Except for the 1/4 scale change or whatever the ratio is) And the moon is 1.3 light seconds away.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

The light needs roughly 8 minutes from the sun to reach earth. So, earth is more than 60 light seconds away from sun (499 light seconds on average*) and is well inside the solar system!

* speed of light: c=299792458 m/s,
average distance sun-earth: d=149.6e9 m,
travelling time of light: t = d/c = 499 s = 8.31 min
Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

But I read somewhere that VS systems were not to scale. After all , how could there be ice planets a few lightseconds away from twin stars ? :P
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

Redux:
Realism vs. Believabilty, Round 15

Believability wins by TKO, so the judges have ruled.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

*punch to the gut
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Yeah, its earth, not jupiter :-). Didn't think to calculate it out.

I don't know, I'm relatively content with the lightseconds thing.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

On the same note: Why would you need to get so far away from a planet or star in this game? Most of the items are pretty close. And even in the sol system, the planets are all lines up in order, so nothing is more than 1000 light seconds away. (At least it was last time I visited).

I guess if you constantly measured distance while traveling to the next star system, I could see it. But in that case, 1000 light seconds rougly translates to 0.00003 light years, and I could see that transition being made instead of light-minutes or light-hours or light-days.
prolog
Hunter
Hunter

Post by prolog »

My hope is that eventually, things might be to scale, in which case this could be quite useful.
Current rig: Refurbished Robin
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

If things were to scale, I'd "feel" a lot smaller approaching a mining base in a Llama, than I do in a Mule, and it would take longer to enter the gravity well of a planet and autodock than it does to do the same at the aforementioned mining base.

If things were to scale, I would not be able to fly within 435 km of one oceanic world to dock, while at another I need to get within 12,000 meters... anything that small would not have an atmosphere let alone standing oceans, and would rightfully be classified as an asteroid or comet.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

System scale is among the set of things slated for being changed (especially because it's an easy one to play around with).

I don't immediatelty see the origins of your view of the following, however:
geoscope wrote:If things were to scale, I'd "feel" a lot smaller approaching a mining base in a Llama, than I do in a Mule
namely, which of the potential relationships currently feel inaptly scaled, and why do you believe them to be so?
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

You know, I've often wondered (This might be a bit off-topic), how does the game calculate gravitational force & distance away from an object (spec distance is the only thing it affects, I think.)

Do you enter a mass, and a diameter of the planet, or have to calculate the gravitational force yourself? Or do you enter a volume and a density? Or at least point me to the file that calculates it so I can look for myself :-)
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

i think what prolog is suggesting is a basic human need.

a yardstick that one can relate to.

quick! whats the difference between 1,435,647,108 ft and 1,435,697,108 ft?

why do we have the metric system broken into 100s or 1000s ? because any number bigger than that becomes hard for the brain to handle or relate to... anyone familiar with the metric system can tell you about how long 2 cm is... or about how far away 1km is... but how far away is 1,000,002 cm? how long is .00002 km?

the point is, its really hard to relate to .00002 km if youre thinking kilometers... you have to do the conversion in your head if you want to have a handle on how big it is...

granted, space is a really hard thing for the human mind to grasp... and the velocities and distances represented in the game are by default hard for humans to understand... yardsticks help you keep your place... thats why most space sims gloss over how far or fast youre really going... 50 is creeping... 1000 is really fast... (or in hitchhikerspeak R17 is way, way faster than you should be going... :D )

and obviously, in space you have no yardsticks... is that base really small or is really far away? you dont have any mountains or trees around it to let you know...
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

@jacks
I'm not really sure if it's only a matter of perspective... but when near a base, the scale of the base to the ship I flying "feels" the same, regardless of the ship.. I suppose if I used an external view I'd see a difference... but from the cockpit, it just seems a hyena ought to feel dwarfed by the base, after all it's big enough to hold dozens of ships and an entire operational facility. If I had to narrow it down, I'd say that I'm too aware of the fact that the scale between "me" and the base is the same... I don't know if that makes sense... and I'm sure that it's actually a perceptual effect.. in reality, I ought to feel the relationship of base size to myself is the same -- neither change... only the reationship of ship size to base size does.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

I know how you feel. It's VERY difficult to get a sense of size in VS. aside from the misleading cockpit sizes there is the unfriendly camera man. You knwo the one who follows you taking publicity shots. lol

I've noticed that it doesn't even swerve with the shape. The ship looks static, like it's a gun in a counter strike game. Can't the camera overshoot on the sides a bit? i mean when turning right, you should see a bit of the right side of the ship.

And one more thing... can we have a decent hud please even while in 3rd person view. I liek to see my ship, and it's annoying to have to switch between cockpit views to see wjere I'm going. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

I agree that light minutes etc. are currently not of big use since systems are shrinked and even max spec is pretty limited.

However, I implemented those distances and committed it.

You'll now see:
--meters up to distances of 20000 m
--kilometers up to distances of 299792.458 km (with decimals for <100km, without decimals >100km)
--light seconds up to distances of 120 light seconds
--light minutes up to distances of 120 light minutes
--light hours up to distances of 48 light hours
--light days up to distances of 365 light days
and for larger distances lightyears

I tested it up to light hours. It takes a while though. :)
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

I should think so.
Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

Well I thought that scale wasn't a problem in Vega Strike... but actually it can have unexpected consequences :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@Zeog:
Wouldn't that be too confusing? :wink: or does it mean that with those measurements committed, we can switch between any of them just by changing the config?

@Stakhanov:

Ga! Hey why don't we have a thread where we get to display the most amazing things (or bugs :lol: ) on Vega Strike caught with the I. This looks like one of em. Those planets should already have smacked each other flat. :?
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

Maybe... I took some funny shots recently.

The problem is that (besides the official screenshot thread) there is no forum to post them or random VS stuff. A pity considering how many subforums there are :P
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

have it on artworks thread. New Topic as ... um. Vega Strike Outs. or something. :lol: I could use a screenie of a hoffman's blob. If it exists ingame, that is.. :D

You can upload your pictures to photobucket or to some other free photo hosting sites. It would be cool. 8)
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Stakhanov
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Stakhanov »

Problem is , screenshots are sometimes too heavy for imageshack. And the zip limit here isn't any higher.

Nicest shot so far :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Do I detect a UFO out there? :)

It was hefty alright. Scale ti down to 640x480, then save it as jpegs. Then we're in business. The Vega Strike UFO Chronicles. :D
A Step Into Oblivion

To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Oblivion wrote:@Zeog:
Wouldn't that be too confusing? :wink: or does it mean that with those measurements committed, we can switch between any of them just by changing the config?
No, you cannot change them with a config file yet. They are hard coded in the source. The point where it switches to the next unit is hardcoded as well.
I don't see why it would be confusing, tough. It's acutally quite convenient. As distances to objects get larger the display now changes to the next unit of measurement if numerical values are high enough. This aides readability and prevents too large numerical values.
Quick, which one is better to read? "18 light seconds" or "5396256 kilometers"?

So, you will see distances as this (with this very notation, number of decimals and unit names)
0 meters to 20000 meters
20.00 kilometers to 100.00 kilometers
100 kilometers to 299792 kilometers
1.00 light seconds to 120.00 light seconds
2.00 light minutes to 120.00 light minutes
2.00 light hours to 48.00 light hours
2.00 light days to 365.00 light days
for larger distances lightyears are used