Speech Recognition for VS...

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Speech Recognition for VS...

Post by Paslowo »

I don't know if this thread about this exists or not.

But I was wondering if the speech recognition feature would be a good idea to have in vegastrike or not..

Example: you say "nearist hostile target", it will target the nearest hostile ship.

Or "launch missiles", missiles will be launched.

How hard would that have to be?
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I don't like speech recognition... it always screws up for me. Maybe if there is an open-source speech recongintion engine somebody could use it to send events to VS, but otherwise there are more important things to do.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

The best way to acheive something in any form of development is to focus on your core features and do them well before doing anything else. VS is still focusing on it's core features. To throw in half-baked speech recognition would only cause problems and waste resources that are already stretched.

Think of the key aspects to the game before pie-in-the-sky "I like" features.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

Ok then I guess that feature is a no.

Any anyways, I really don't know what the core VS features are since it's been a long time I been on these message boards..

I browsed through the wiki and don't really know if I have the correct information or not.
forlarren
Merchant
Merchant

Post by forlarren »

Well if you are playing on windows I sugest you use a 3rd party program like Shoot. It would be nice if the developers used or at least experemented with speech recognition to make it easer to intergrate it into the game.

As for OSS speech recognition the CMU Sphinx project would be a great place to start. I personally feel for any space based game speech recognition /sSpeech synthesizer would be a killer feature.

Ever sense Startrek TOS I have always wanted to talk to my computer. After playing Microsoft's Freelancer with a copy of Game Commaner, though it worked poorly, my imersion level doubled (how about that for an abitrary measurement :P).