BETTER CONTROL SYSTEM

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

BETTER CONTROL SYSTEM

Post by Oblivion »

And an offshoot of the SPEC inhibitor idea. This is much easier to implement. Methinks

A simple suggestion. Clicking the LMB will make your ship accelerate to reach target velocity, letting go will slowly make your ship decelerate until it reaches 0. Pressing SPACE while lock your current velocity, i.e. steady flight. Pressing SPACE again will unlock it and return your velocity to zero util you press the LMB button. Why do I think this is needed?

1.Thrusters are useless. As they are exhaustible. However I've noticed that players need to press something always to gain a sense of controlling a ship's acceleration (look at racing games, etc.)

2.This will really simplify navigation, instead of the panicky hunting for the + and - keys while flying. Current controls makes you much more susceptible to overshooting and collisions.

Nod your head if you agree. :wink:
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
lee
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by lee »

We should have a govern setting for the ASAP key, another one for +/-, and an option to set wanted speeds and limits by directly entering numbers.

Combat mode would become obsolete with that. Govern ASAP to 0 means disabling the ASAP limit.

Hm, maybe add a ´full throttle´ key for instances when you want full throttle but not to have your course adjusted automatically.

Then, I´d like to have full control of the thrusters, all directions. It´s quite some fun to turn off the comp and fly yourselfe.
Debian testing
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Then, I´d like to have full control of the thrusters, all directions. It´s quite some fun to turn off the comp and fly yourselfe
that is fun and it's just a button push in SVN

Enjoy the Choice :)
lee
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by lee »

Which button to push, and which buttons to control?
Debian testing
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

SVN also has the "entering speeds by punching in numbers" thing, though it has been recently disabled due to trouble building it on some platforms.

I hope it gets reenabled soon, because it was cool.

Basically, you enabled the console (I think I had set it to Shift-F1), type "setspeed x", enter, Shift-F1, and you now are at speed x (very important in navigational mode, where the full/+/- are just useless). I used it often to leave the slow zone: n, Shift-F1, setspeed 6000, Shift-F1, Shift-A (ASAP), A (SPEC) - wait, Shift-A, A, n, full (in combat = 1000-something). Made it pretty playable.

The "Autopilot AI" I was talking about in the other thread would do all that and more, but automagically. It would even steer you clear of trouble. If I have my way, even evading complex shapes (I have a nifty idea of how to do that, courtesy of my time planning another game I was going to do ;) ).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

lee wrote:Hm, maybe add a ´full throttle´ key for instances when you want full throttle but not to have your course adjusted automatically.
We have a full throttle key, it's [\].

@klauss: sounds cool, too bad it has been disabled.

Maybe it could be implemented in a simpler way. Something like having the player press [:] (shift-:), then typing in the number and pressing [:] again.
lee
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by lee »

Halleck wrote: We have a full throttle key, it's [\].
Does it do more than setting speed limit to max? Like engaging the afterburner to get more acceleration?
Maybe it could be implemented in a simpler way. Something like having the player press [:] (shift-:), then typing in the number and pressing [:] again.
I don´t know how it´s done because it´s disabled, but that´s the way I have in mind. I´d use the / key on the keypad to toggle numerical input though, but that´s only a matter of configuring the keyboard.
Debian testing
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

Again, the drift away... :wink:

I don't mean ASAP. I meant normal flight. A way to arbitrarily control flight speed without having to hunt the + and minus keys, which are pretty small btw.

hmmm...
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...