Improve Map/Navigation Computer?

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
vegafan
Trader
Trader

Improve Map/Navigation Computer?

Post by vegafan »

Firstly: Great work, guys! Really. And don't assume comparing the length of this paragraph with that of the rest of my post yields any significant result :D

Secondly, my main gripe with VS (after switching to cvs and thereby getting properly working load/save functionality) is the Navigation Computer and/or my inability to use it. Currently, I can fly around doing missions (which guide me by telling me the next jumpgate), my Navcomp records the systems I have visited, and if I know the sector (or search a lot), I can find a system, target it, set the map to "path only" and while(not there) { look for the next system in the path, jump there }.
However, that's already straining, mostly because the Map/Navcomp is so horribly modal.
Let me elaborate:
"Nav/Info" toggles Mode 1/2.
Mode 1: "Sectors" (and nothing else in this mode) uses "Target Selected", "Ship" and "Mission" are static displays, "Nav Comp" opens a new window, and "2D/Ortho/3D" has no function.
Mode 2a: "Path On/Off/Only" has no function, "Target Selected" is used, "Up" switches to Mode 2b, "Down" would switch back to 2a, "Axis Swap" and "2D/Ortho/3D" are each tristates affecting both 2a and 2b.
Mode 2b: see 2a, but "Path On/Off/Only" now works and is another tristate.
(Plus "Ship" works as 1a and "Mission" as 1b, meaning you'll possibly have switched between 2a and 2b when you hit "Nav/Info" again)

Confusing Description? Confusing dialog! So, I plead for
1) Reduction of modes.
2) Some clear display of which of the remaining modes I'm in
3) Removal of buttons that have no (or -worse- no visible) effect when pressed. :D

My ad-hoc redesign:

Make a modeswitch bar at the top (like the cargo/upgrades/info/ships/news/missions/save on planets):
"Info": faction stats and help text
"Mission": Mission descriptions (it would be nice if they were more verbose as well, like the comm talk sent to you when you launch; at least include payment :)
"Systems" (or keep "Sectors"): list of sectors with systems, like now
"Local": Mode 2a, i.e. system view
"Galaxy" or "Jumps": Mode 2b, i.e. jump topology view
"Route" (or keep "Nav Comp"): setting up of permanent routes.
["Quit/Load": guess what. Then do away with the Esc-Q thing and bind this dialog to Esc. Would place the help text a bit less intrusive than shoving it into user's faces while retaining it easily available. Unless there's a gameplay reason to force people to eject if they want to load, that is.]

"Systems", "Local", "Galaxy" all have on the right side of the screen the "Target selected" button [or better: areas reading "Current: Yzzellty", "Target: Yylletyzz", "Selected: Ytellyzzz" and a clickable arrow or something pointing from "Selected" to "Target"; then this would be useful for "Route/Nav Comp" as well].
"Local" and "Galaxy" then have a button below that toggling 2D/Ortho/3D and displaying the current mode as it's text. (But they are separate, i.e. you can keep "Local" in 2D and "Galaxy" in 3D and switch beween them by the top bar without either assuming the other's mode.)
Below that, "Galaxy" has a "Path On"/"Path Off"/"Path Only" button.

[Copying the planet's modeswitch bar has not only the advantage of being familiar for the user, but also of allowing the Navcomp to be placed somewhere on the planets, so I don't have to launch into space to plan where I'm going to travel ;)]

Oh well, I didn't imagine this would become so long.
Am I making any sense? Or do you all think I'm babbling mindlessly and the current Map/Navcomp is fine? Hint: avoid encouraging me too much, lest I suggest improvements to the route setup screen and the graphical displays of "Local/Down" and "Galaxy/Up" :-P
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I agree that the nav system is in need of an overhaul... maybe we can borrow from gemini gold.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

The map is useless to me. I don't even refer to it anymore. Switching modes doesn't offer any noticeable changes. How about making a much more understandeable 2d map? Even just for the planets, bases stars and whatnot. As well as for intersystem maps. :)
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
q
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by q »

I would love to have a map available in the bases not only in flight.
If I take a mission to system Foo I would like to know where it realy is. Now I have to take off and check the map in the ship. It is bit strange to me.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Hey guys, check out this new utility!

It's called "VSMap3D" and it's like a combination of VSNav and the ingame 3d console. The interface is a bit lacking at the moment (actually not so bad considering this is only the first version) but maybe we can use it as a testbed for good nav interfaces.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

I agree that an improvement of the map is needed, maybye with some added-on features, like you could mark somewhere on a map.....

And when your flying your ship you could see the marker if you near it, or maybye something else usefull...
Spacey Spandex
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Spacey Spandex »

Are there any architectural (software-wise) problems with accessing the ship computer (nav screen) from anywhere? It would be a great help when considering a mission offer, to know where they want us to go and if that is on the way we're headed already.

Amongst all this high-tech: warp drive, laser-blazers and whatnot, the Vega universe ought to have simple, primitive tech like wireless networks, intranets, internets and handhelds too, right? :wink: