3D Planet exploration

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
CaptJack92a
Hunter
Hunter

3D Planet exploration

Post by CaptJack92a »

Some games are developing the ability to fly directly from space to the surface of a planet and fly around the landscape. I think this would be a fantastic future feature [as well as the ability to walk around planets as in a previous post of mine. Perhaps ground vehicle capabilities?]

Park your ship and drive around [all around the planet]. That would be awesome!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: 3D Planet exploration

Post by loki1950 »

Do a search on the this sub-forum it's been on the wish list for a very long time :mrgreen: The technical details are enormous especially with the size of our universe as each planet class would need new defining data and some way of differing individual planets within each class remember that planetary and some system data is generated randomly with every new game so just maintaining an internal db is not a trivial task.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Actually its not exactly a wish anymore ;) We have planetary flight in the experimental branch. It hasn't been worked on in awhile though. Someone never finished the gravity code or at least uploaded a more recent patch of it.. and log0 hasn't to my knowledge worked on the planetary flight code in awhile.

In any event its there. http://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... erimental/
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
CaptJack92a
Hunter
Hunter

Post by CaptJack92a »

So is that the planetary flight stuff? Like I would be able to fly straight toward the planet [even with the long wait] and it will start to look like I am actually on the planet?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

until you crash into the planet. There is no planetary gravity so watch your approach speeds or go boom. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOwj-gu8_Z4 shows a first test flight

Now actually WALKING on the planet is not possible, but you can fly around.
Last edited by pheonixstorm on Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: addition
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
CaptJack92a
Hunter
Hunter

Post by CaptJack92a »

right, right. But hopefully a future feature?

Which files do I download and where do they go?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

if you don't plan on compiling yourself, the win32 and data folders. I think (hope) I put install instructions in there... anyway, if I didn't its fairly straightforward. All the error messages will tell you where certain files should go if you dont already have them there.

What in the win32 is a drop-in replacement for an already installed VS. You can try to run it w/o the full VS data directory but I don't think it will work. Never tried though.
log0

Post by log0 »

You need the original vs data in addition to ogre bits. The code just overrides planet drawing.

The development is pretty much stalled. The next step is to move all drawing to ogre. This means to hook into unit loader. The problem is where and how? Atm it feels like writing a game from scratch would be simpler. Thus the motivation is very low.
CaptJack92a
Hunter
Hunter

Post by CaptJack92a »

Sourceforge isn't making it east to download the files. How exactly do I save them to my pc? And you have a readme in the files that shows me where to put things?
log0

Post by log0 »

They are not meant for manual download, are usually pulled using a svn client(tortoisesvn). You can still do it. Look for, click on "Download GNU tarball". It is a compressed archive of the corresponding folder. To extract it you can use 7zip and co.
CaptJack92a
Hunter
Hunter

Post by CaptJack92a »

Oh ok, I have 7zip. I do use svn, but what folder do I use the link for, and where?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Here you go http://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... erimental/ that link is for use with a web browser if using a svn client remove /viewvc/ IIRC.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
log0

Post by log0 »

@Pirate92
I am not sure if the current one will run with latest data. I'll build an updated version later today(tomorrow) which you can simply download and put into 0.5.1 installation folder without having to mess with the directory structure or svn.
CaptJack92a
Hunter
Hunter

Post by CaptJack92a »

Oh ok, I'll just wait for that. Thanks
log0

Post by log0 »

Bad news. Building with the latest trunk produces heavy graphical artifacts. No planets, sorry. Will see if I find some time to identify the reason.
CaptJack92a
Hunter
Hunter

Post by CaptJack92a »

Haha! I try to imagine what the code looks like and my eyes widen. I can wait
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

youtube bbcode test
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

loki1950 wrote:Do a search on the this sub-forum it's been on the wish list for a very long time :mrgreen: The technical details are enormous especially with the size of our universe as each planet class would need new defining data and some way of differing individual planets within each class remember that planetary and some system data is generated randomly with every new game so just maintaining an internal db is not a trivial task.

Actually, there was a feature in the to-do that is a step into that direction, namely, procedurally generated bases. Even clickable bases could be generated procedurally.

It needs a lot of investment into content production, but the mere support in the engine could make it interesting. We could work on a single planet as a guinea pig for this - e.g. earth. Have earth be a huge mess of interconnected random cities would be a neat gameplay addition, as every planet would be a world on its own, differentiating it a lot more from bases than currently are.

Still, the biggest blocker here is content production.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Atmospheric flight over planets is an awesome addition to a spaceflight game; the game play of one is the near opposite of the other. Atmosphere creates an environment of limited speeds and distances but relatively unlimited power and control. Space is an environment of limitless speeds and distances but power is relatively limited by poor access to heat dissipation and reaction mass or the intuitive 'control' of drag forces. Contrast like that is a where a game experience truly blooms.

BUT, beyond all of that, the ultimate goal of the long awaited "seamless planetary flight" feature has little to do with flight. It's about getting out of your ship and exploring the surface and dynamic workings of an entire world, from details fine and tangible to those vast and complex.

Open space is huge but a world is bigger in every sense except the literal. It's bigger because it can be so much richer. But space and dynamic generation open up a limitless number of these worlds. Thus, such a game that fully combines the two would be nothing short of a universe unto itself.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Deus Siddis wrote:Open space is huge but a world is bigger in every sense except the literal. It's bigger because it can be so much richer. But space and dynamic generation open up a limitless number of these worlds. Thus, such a game that fully combines the two would be nothing short of a universe unto itself.
I agree. I want to do procedural worlds (as in huge procedural bases where you can navigate from city to city) first.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
DarkVixen
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by DarkVixen »

I must say this game is incredibly complex for a free game, it's astonishing, though I'm not a avid gamer, I kind of came across this game by chance.

I like the choice of flying in a planet's atmosphere, but I recall another came called Flight Gear does that. I think for VS this may be too much for the average player.

The amount and complexity of VS is enough, at least for me, I still haven't explored all of it and I've been planing it casually a few times a week for over a year.

It's nice to have that option, we should keep it, but I think there is more "spacy" stuff that we could work on.

PS: Congrats to everyone who worked on VS. :)