Reactor, Capacitor, and Shield categories.

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Reactor, Capacitor, and Shield categories.

Post by Blackbeard »

Currently, when you go into upgrades and select the reactor, capacitor, or shield categories, there is only one subcategory: standard. This feature request is for at least one more subcategory for all three: military grade. The military grade versions should be extremely expensive, extremely powerful :twisted: , more lightweight, and less volumetric than the standard counterparts.

Considering that there is almost no use for reactor1 (apart from starting out etc.), as it is so underpowered, I thought that the military equivalents should start from the equivalent of reactor5, but the power increase per level should be greater, ie milgradreactor1 = reactor5, but milgradreactor2 = reactor7 or reactor8, but being less massive etc. A similar system could be used for capacitor and shields.

The military upgrades would surpass the standard ones fairly quickly, but power ratings could be assigned by plotting the power output or whatever. To balance the power and weight of these upgrades, the prices would be truly horrendous. Off hand I think it is either 7k or 15k credits or thereabouts for a reactor5, the milgradreactor one should be about 10-20 times that price, :shock: with similar pricing for the higher upgrades ending at about 100 mil for a milgradreactor15. :shock:

This would restrict their use to those who could afford them, but once bought the money should be worth it :twisted: . I've used reactors as examples, but as noted the capacitors and shields have the same possibilities.

Another possible class could be capshipgrade. This would allow capships to be upgraded easier, as even a reactor15 cannot support even 4 shield breaker beams. Capshipgrade upgrades should be necessarily very massive and spacious, and proportionally just as powerful.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Reactor, Capacitor, and Shield categories.

Post by travists »

Interesting thought, one could also tweak stats to give slightly different performance but mostly the same results to create "brands" Some charge quicker, some are slower, but use less room, etc.
Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Blackbeard »

travists wrote:Interesting thought, one could also tweak stats to give slightly different performance but mostly the same results to create "brands" Some charge quicker, some are slower, but use less room, etc.
Sure, that's also quite a good idea, it would add to the diversity of Vega-Strike. :wink:
The idea for "military grade" upgrades though, was to provide something far superior to the standard stuff.
Both are good ideas IMO, I eagerly await the finally verdict... :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I'm thinking upgrades need a "durability" and "reliability" stat.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Most certainly, it would modify a wear-and-tear variable that causes random damage to components.
Blackbeard
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Blackbeard »

To test this, I added 15 mil_grad_reactorx types to units.csv, units_description.csv, and units_working.csv. This was sufficient to allow them ingame, but I could not find where to add bases that could supply them, or a way to provide a price list. :? In the end I had to save a copy of a game and hack that to test, which has the unfortunate side effect of damaging the added parts. :( However, my Pacifier was able to support four shieldbreaker beams successfully after repairing the reactor, I haven't added mil_grad_shields yet, or capacitors, largely because of the problems stated above.

On a side note, while hacking the save game I tried out different weapons to see how the reactor would cope. I couldn't find the names for the weapons in units.csv or anywhere else, but I was able by guessing to put four Capital-Scale UV Laser mounts. The name for save games is CS_UV_Laser, not to hard to guess, but there were listed several weapons that weren't so easy, and some had the suffix __upgrades. Could someone explain this please? :)
klauss wrote:I'm thinking upgrades need a "durability" and "reliability" stat.
travists wrote:Most certainly, it would modify a wear-and-tear variable that causes random damage to components.
Running costs, IMO, would add to the realism of the game, as would different parts being more/less susceptible to damage, so I support this as well. :wink:
Hicks
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Hicks »

you add the items to the master parts list in the main data folder. Then you need to add the parts to the bases in the units.csv list. Can't remember what column it is but its one towards the end. It has a list of all the parts available, as well as a few parameters.

Running costs would be awsome. It means you can just fly a huge ships round for no reason, you have to be doing missions or something to pay for the upkeep.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

The column is cargo_imports, or something similar I can look again if needed.

Not only running costs, but "sitting costs" docking fees piling up, eventually crew to keep ships ready will need to be paid even if they are just sitting there, and other overhead. While with one ship and a good run you may be set for a good while, start trying to maintain a fleet and if you don't keep the missions going, people get mad and you start loosing more than money. I'd think that such should have an on/off switch in config, but we are getting off into new thread territory. It is, however, something that bothered me about Privateer and seems common with games of this type: no operational costs (aside from the occasional one time landing fee). Fuel, crew, docking space, food, a place to stay planet/station side, licensing fees it all should cost and many of them would pile up flying or not.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

klauss wrote:I'm thinking upgrades need a "durability" and "reliability" stat.
"Durability" - as in how much damage it can take before functionality goes to 0%? Maybe, put it in the same column as for hulls? It's the same thing. Are upgrades modifying hull hitpoints ever used?
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

No, "durability" as in how many times can you repair it and expect 100% functionality, and as in how well does it endure normal wear and tear.
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

"Resiliency" is not a bad idea though.

Durability: how many times can you repair it and expect 100% functionality
Resiliency: Resistance to damage
Reliability: likelihood of failure without external damaging factors
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

travists wrote:Durability: how many times can you repair it and expect 100% functionality
Resiliency: Resistance to damage
Reliability: likelihood of failure without external damaging factors
Sold
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Need another tracker, can you just remember, or do we split into a new thread to hammer the details out further?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

We could have another tracker item, or just put the thing on the targettable upgrades item.
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

The "Bounding Boxes" item about upgrades in general being destroyable seemed more related.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ya, that's the one I was talking about ;)
Wing Commander Universe