(Almost) Infinite Universe

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Hicks
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

(Almost) Infinite Universe

Post by Hicks »

BEZ_BASHNI wrote: 4. 'Astronomically correct sky' -the player can look at the sky view at any solar system, choose the star and fly to it (in case the universe is randomly generated , the sky textures will be rendered according the universe model and solarsystem viewpoint.
This would be interesting, for me at least. I have done some testing and it is possible to put in a few SPEC drives that can travel at a few million times the speed of light, though it does cause overshoot some of the time. Imagaine being stuck in the intial sector till you can buy an inter-solarsystem SPEC drive. Could be an idea for the MMO. But this would require extremely large values for locations, in the order of 9x10^15 meters, not sure what it would do to the preformace of the game/server.

With the new SPEC drives i'm working on, it might also mean that it is impossible for a light fighter to travel from one solar system to another. You would need a larger ship, or to land on a larger one and get flown over, which could be considered realistic, but will affect the gameplay.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: (Almost) Infinite Universe

Post by travists »

If the whole render backgrounds from universe data works it could be very fun. Remember, no jump drives would be a per mod thing as it does not necessitate a lack of jumps. Quite the opposite it makes for new options: buy the jump drive and quickly go from system to system or the IS-SPEC and go from anywhere to anywhere. You could do both, but that would take up twice the space.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: (Almost) Infinite Universe

Post by TBeholder »

Practically, non-jump interstellar travel requires shard-space based physics, with one hierarchy level above star systems.
Of course, any hyperspace-using (B5, Star Control 2, etc) mod requires (and Elite Witchspace suggests) much the same.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter