Relationships relate to the ship you're in

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Relationships relate to the ship you're in

Post by DaveAshton »

As the main way to annoy other races is by shooting them, I think that other races should grow to like/dislike your ship rather than you.

It doesn't really make sense that every single Klk'k in the galaxy knows who you are (and wants to kill you) when you're flying your Lancelot, despite the fact that you turned loads of their mates into space dust while piloting your Goddard.

I propose the implementation of a kind of wanted level for ships, and if you need to lay low for a while (or fly through very hostile territory) you can either buy a new ship, or fly one you already own that's clean of bloodshed.
philo
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Relationships relate to the ship you're in

Post by philo »

Well, it's not the ship that kills, it's the pilot; the ship is merely an instrument.
Would the police stop pursuing a criminal if he swapped the murder weapon for a new one he hasn't used before?

Have you considered going with a milspec Schroedinger? It carries a cloak device by default, hence is ideal for crossing hostile territory.
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

I understand your point about the ship just being the tool used in the murder, and not the murderer itself. However, I think my point still stands: How do other people/ships know who you are?

In reality, if you committed a crime, the police could ask for witnesses, check CCTV cameras etc, and hope to get a clear mugshot.

However, if you're in space it's a different story. All anyone has to go on to track down who shot their mate is a vague description (SOS broadcast along the lines of "We're being attacked by a Llama using disruptors") or an IFF Transponder (which would be set by the pilot, so could be easily changed).

For a real world example, have a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-13901856 (I'm not sure of the size of Weston-super-Mare, but it's likely there's more than one silver 3-door Clio within 20-30 miles of the incident, and even if they find the car, how do they prove whether the owner was driving or someone else)?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

If you look into a lot of different sci-fi etc you would know your IFF is not so easily changed and in most places would be illegal to change anyway. Now, if we could add a shady dealer that would change it for you... more after dinner
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
DarkVixen
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by DarkVixen »

I think with the amount of technology advancement in the game, surely most pilots can tell who attacked them even if they changed ships.

Perhaps if you changed ships you could get away for a while but if you stray too close to a ship you attacked they can scan you or your crew and can easily see it was you who attacked them.