Turning "empty" planets into industrial centers.

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Turning "empty" planets into industrial centers.

Post by DaveAshton »

Would there be any way to change a planet's type depending on what you deliver to it?

For example, you see a Molten planet, and upon landing all you see is a small PC (to let you save your game) next to your ship on a landing pad. There's no Bar, no Trade facilities, nothing but a PC and a landing platform.

Would it be possible to deliver an Automated Factory (for example) to that planet, and then after a certain amount of time, the planet has a Shipyard?
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Turning "empty" planets into industrial centers.

Post by gonzo »

Well, this guy has found a way to alter planets:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 17#p125017
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Sorry. Couldn't help myself... :D
I think it would be wonderful if the game universe could change like that.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

There's some debug option about it. That said - planets are the case where buggy subunits can't ruin anything. :D
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

This would certainly open up interesting avenues for the macro-verse as it were. For instance, there are various entries for drop pods and aerial bombardment ships, etc for atmo-entry/troops stuff, there are various entries in the news about planetary wars, etc. This coupled with the expanding 'real' economy, coupled with the future increases in space-sector wars, means that you could technically have a REALLY flexible economy and universe where even the planets can rise and fall economically, depending on their location, profitability, armament, etc.

I suppose the problem is that this could potentially cause a fairly large strain on the engine, that's a LOT of data to be processing at once.
greenfreedom10
Hunter
Hunter

Post by greenfreedom10 »

Primordial wrote:I suppose the problem is that this could potentially cause a fairly large strain on the engine, that's a LOT of data to be processing at once.
I do not think so, if the economy can be reduced to simple mathematics, each variable affected by related variables during each nth turn of the clock.

However, delivering particular goods to a planet should logically not have more than a tiny affect on the planet's economy unless it sees very little traffic.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Actually with the number of systems and planets in the game a dynamic econ could put a strain on the engine as that would be A LOT of data to crunch every few loops or even spread out of n number of loops. But, the question is not about a robust econ system but of exploration and colonization.

At current though... neither system is anywhere other than in a design phase with no hope for usable code before the end of the year at least.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo