Weapon Autotrack thread

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Psyco Diver 69
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Weapon Autotrack thread

Post by Psyco Diver 69 »

I noticed some people in here have mixed opinions on how the autotracking should work, instead of gumming up other threads here we are.

Heres my idea, make different levels of autotracking, like civilian and military, the civvy model will have a smaller area to track while the military model will track much wider, second idea is to have a lock time, like the missles currently have, and range for which the autotracking can effectively fire. I think this will introduce a more challenging aspect thats badly needed in battles. I think it will bridge the gap between people say no to autotracking and the want of other people wanting autotracking, and give the ability for the enemy and person to miss more
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Weapon Autotrack thread

Post by TBeholder »

"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Weapon Autotrack thread

Post by bgaskey »

In regards to autotracking and the old thread linked above:
Another option is, instead of moving the gun mount, a magnetic could be diverting the beam. If things like modern electron microscopes are any indication, this method would be much more precise than gears rotating the entire mount.

If this was implemented, each gun mount could have a maximum allowable autotracking field voltage (based on the size of the mount and ship) which could modify the power requirements of the weapon slightly. A higher accelerating voltage would mean a larger maximum autotracking cone at the price of a small-ish amount of energy (which could depend also on the power of the weapon). Also, since the autotracking would be entirely electrical, there would be no issues with accelerating, MOI, or the like. However, some weapons wouldn't make sense to accelerate magnetically, so perhaps they would not be effected by magnetic autotracking?

Just my two cents. I think adding multiple levels of autotracking would be interesting in terms of ship development, especially with a trade off in tracking angle versus power requirements.