New weapons

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

New weapons

Post by TBeholder »

It seems there weren't a thread where new weapon proposals can be discussed. It's rather easy to add and test one in the game, but one needs to look into implications, balance, etc.
So, i'll start.

1. Short-range repulsor. The idea is simple - a beam that stops ramming stuff (Uln and other missiles :lol: ): with range less than current Repulsor's 4 km, longrange<1, radius and stability time greater, also somewhat weaker overall and cheaper. As i mentioned here, a good thing to put into little turrets. Of course, both usual and this type of repulsors can be paired with normal beams anyway.

2. Rockets with good warheads. Let's take a look at our rockets and Razor?
Swarm ammo: 10x for 80 Cr; damage 20, speed 4000, volume 0.25; Hail ammo: 4x for 90 Cr; damage 30+2, speed 3150, volume 0.25
Razor ammo: 50x for 4000 Cr; damage 120+12, speed 3600, volume 0.02
So, why they don't make rockets with Razor-like warheads? Those would cost 4x-6x times more than Hail, but it's still far from prohibitive: 4x damage, 6x phasedamage and a Medium mount freed for beams are worth this.
Acceleration from a typical rocket booster seems to be tolerable. Maybe mini-fusion shells need to be charged when firing, then it would have either non-zero energy requirement or a kick-start power source in the rocket itself, thus sacrificing some volume. But even with volume 0.5 (like Photonswarm), a mount would still carry 2x(+3x) greater total firepower than with Hail.
More for Reaper, but AM may require a little storage power or something, so i left it alone.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter