Exploration survey services

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Exploration survey services

Post by pheonixstorm »

This has been talked about as something wanted for VS so heres a basic rundown of hardware that could be used and a focal point on basic code integration.

Jump Scanner:
Scans for possible jump points within a system. We can limit this to a certain range or system wide. In the system files we can mark all jump points as active or unknown, the unknown points can be picked up by this scanner. Once we get a possible location we send in a probe. Side note, an unknown jump point can be further into a real point or false scan. That or we classify 3 jump points as active, unknown, false. False points would be a dead end lead.

Jump Probes:
These autmotaed drones are launched into an unknown or false jump node and will attempt to make a jump into the unknown. It has enough fuel to make 2 jumps, an outbound flight and the return trip. On the outbound jump they will scan an area away from the gate (up to max sensor range). Scan time can be 1-5 minutes probably just 1 minute as most players would not want to sit and do nothing for 5 minutes. Once done the probe will jump back and return or get tractored back into the players ship.

Jump Analyzer:
Once the probe is back aboard ship the collected data will get analyzed. Data collected will include system conditions, close planetary bodies, conditions at jump point, etc

Reasons for using a probe might include jumping into a system with an active black hole (that would ruin your day)

Basic code additions would not have to be great. A way to turn on new jump points, display information on the new system, and a simple ai to pilot the probe from ship to jump point then reappear after a minute. Adding in some survey elements would not require a lot of code. A basic system might change a few lines here and there though I would think we would want to further expand on this concept to include other survey equipment for planet exploration and other celestial anomolies.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Exploration survey services

Post by travists »

I like, I like! Is there any non-codding work to be done? I'm not the greatest modeler, But I could do a first round probe and/or scanner.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

The probe will probably be the only part to model. The launcher etc will need trade icons though
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

I'll see what I can do!
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Modle stats: 27115 poly 27689 vert
Probe1-4view.bmp
I know Low poly, but the thing is suposed to be small, man sized or so. Improvement tips?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Feature Recommendations:

1) Make this all one upgrade-- the probe. Scanners/sensors are already upgradable. Any special analyzers are a whole new feature of their own, with further prerequisite features.

2) Make it SPEC capable, not JUMP capable. There's very few situations where you wouldn't be better off jumping into a system yourself to test the waters, once you have already reached a jump point. But exploring the entire system you are already in should be much more involved and probes might assist with this process.

Model Recommendations:

1) Don't use subdivision surfaces at this stage.

2) Upload the model in a standard format like .obj for more precise feedback and suggestions.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Nice probe. I like it a lot with the 4 thrusters and the pikes with blink lights for good visibility from all directions.
You can post the model in obj or blend formats.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Very nice, yes.

You know what we need too?

Concept art (and eventually models) for stationary defenses and mines, so we can start implementing mine fields and stationary defenses around important landmarks.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
breese
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by breese »

klauss wrote:Concept art (and eventually models) for stationary defenses and mines, so we can start implementing mine fields and stationary defenses around important landmarks.
Here is a source of inspiration for concept art in general: http://conceptships.blogspot.com/
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Well, by popular demand, here is the obj.
https://sites.google.com/a/wildblue.net ... ects=0&d=1
I have a couple of ideas for both implacements and mines. The implacement would be a fancy turret, but mines..... conventional/anti-matter, ship tracking/static, proximity/contact

This is kinda off topic. Should I start a new thread?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

travists wrote:This is kinda off topic. Should I start a new thread?
By all means, feel free to do so.
Wing Commander Universe
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

breese wrote:
klauss wrote:Concept art (and eventually models) for stationary defenses and mines, so we can start implementing mine fields and stationary defenses around important landmarks.
Here is a source of inspiration for concept art in general: http://conceptships.blogspot.com/
Cool site, very high quality stuff.

Too bad copying concepts is bad mojo ;)
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »