Dual monitor

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
thorax23
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Dual monitor

Post by thorax23 »

Not being a coder, I just wondered if it would be possible to use 2 or three monitors for the game? Or would that involve a very hefty coding time?
I just thought that it would be nice to have the side wievs on seperate monitors, and maybe even do a small code for a 4 line alfanumeric LCD on the parallel port.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Re: Dual monitor

Post by MC707 »

now this is an interesting idea. I wonder if this is possible, as I myself might get a new monitor someday this summer.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
th3flyboy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by th3flyboy »

it's been done in various games such as FSX, ArmA, DCS Black Shark, and various others. It should be possible, however I would want to get the game ported to OGRE first, as then it would really be worth it. Remember that 3 monitors would really be major only in 3d space, and in a 2d engine, it's kind of pointless.
Gravity? What's that?
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

You could try to set funny resolutions like 3072x768 and see whether it spills over.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

well, something ive been toying with...

two screens, one is the primary generic gameplay screen, the other would be for hud objects, indicators, and what not.

something like tabs on the side of the monitor attaching to it, where your mouse wouldnt even have to leave the first one.. just pick up and drag, or right click for a menu.. whatever is needed. The second or third monitors would be there for display purposes, reading important data, while the primary would be for the 'input' hud pieces.
calvinthedestroyer
Explorer
Explorer

Post by calvinthedestroyer »

I was thinking that same thing ,, having three monitors to show front, left and right views.
temporalbeing
Trader
Trader

Post by temporalbeing »

Well... it kind of does multi-monitor now, but not in a useful way. The screen image gets centered across the display area that covers both monitors. That doesn't mean its actually centered between the two monitors, just the virtual plane that covers the monitor space. This can actually end up hiding part of the display if the monitors are not equal in all aspects, so very annoying and problematic.

At the very least, it right now needs to push the display to a single monitor and ignore the other monitors until proper multi-monitor support is added.