texture file rename in svn

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
peter
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

texture file rename in svn

Post by peter »

Subversions supports renaming files, so why does it take so much network bandwidth? e.g. the news item said everyone would have to re-download the textures, (and it did take a lot of data transfer when I updated). Did you not tell svn about the rename, so it just so one file disappear, and a new file appear? svn log shows

r12285 | pyramid3d | 2008-05-16 16:03:05 -0300 (Fri, 16 May 2008) | 2 lines
Changed paths:
D /trunk/data/textures/backgrounds/black_back.bmp
A /trunk/data/textures/backgrounds/black_back.image (from /trunk/data/textures/backgrounds/black_back.bmp:12284)

The svn command is svn move (mv, rename, ren). The help says it's the same a copy + delete. Which is what the log looks like, except the log has the delete first. So I'm wondering if that's the best subversion can do. Not very impressive, IMHO. Sure, it keeps the version history, but having to re-download the contents of renamed files is pretty lame.

I use darcs for my own small projects, and it's a distributed VC system where every copy of the repository has the complete history, so I'm no subversion expert. (darcs would be horrible for large projects, esp. with lots of big binary files.) But if there is a way to rename files in svn that avoids people having to re-download, you could maybe revert r12285 and re-do it that way... Not everyone will svn updated already...

BTW, VS is looking great since last time I played it (almost a year ago). I tend to get addicted to a game and play it all day every day for a while, then move on to something else after a while. e.g. my job. Anyway, it helps that I have a 7600GT and a 22" widescreen LCD to play it on, which does much better than my g965 or my NVidia 6200. :) Now I wish the textures were bigger/higher rez. (the backgrounds look pixellated or blocky/banded at 1680x1050. Everything else is fine, though. And there's only ever one background texture per system, so you could afford to spend more texture memory on them.)
"The gods confound the man who first found out how to distinguish the hours!
Confound him, too, who in this place set up a sundial, to cut and hack my day so wretchedly into small pieces!" -- Plautus, 200 BC
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

sorry--I noticed that too and I don't know why, Maybe the copying thing only works for directories, but even then it breaks a lot and decides to trash everything and start from scratch.

What subversion version did you have? I have 1.4.6.

Subversion isn't that good--but it's better than CVS (except that in CVS it was so simple a format that you could do a recursive replace on the CVS file in order to move a directory)...

It would be really cool to use an advanced source management system like Git for our source code.
It seems that git allows for decentralized development as well as allowing you to rebase commits and cool things... I think darcs is more like Git as well.

Anyway we're stuck with subversion for now since that's what sourceforge supports.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Peter re the pixelization there will be a HQ texture pack available for those with the hardware to handle them :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
peter
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by peter »

ace123 wrote: It would be really cool to use an advanced source management system like Git for our source code.
It seems that git allows for decentralized development as well as allowing you to rebase commits and cool things... I think darcs is more like Git as well.
Yes, exactly. Distributed version control systems make a lot of sense for open source projects. Any distributed system works this way: any checkout/working directory is also a full working version of the repository, and can push/pull changes to/from any other repository.

It makes it easy for anybody to make a change and submit it, and the GIT history will show who it came from. (You can make changes, and record them in your local repository. Then you can email them to someone who can apply the change to their repository.) Also, it's good for making local customizations, and having GIT merge your local changes with new upstream development.

I think git can keep track of branches and merges inside a single repository. In darcs, you make a branch just by copying your directory. (with hard links, if you want to save space.)

Besides git, some projects use Mercurial (hg). But mostly people switching away from cvs/svn are switching to git. I really like darcs, but I'm not sure if it can scale to handle VS. Its binary file support isn't based on deltas, just storing new versions, so the revision history could get large... The FAQ says it can handle something the size of the Linux kernel source tree, though.

an old essay comparing systems: http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/scm.html
a more up-to date site: http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/

loki: there will be a HQ texture pack

Looking forward to it. :)
"The gods confound the man who first found out how to distinguish the hours!
Confound him, too, who in this place set up a sundial, to cut and hack my day so wretchedly into small pieces!" -- Plautus, 200 BC