Load Game in the "ESC Menu" and Escape pod behavio

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Load Game in the "ESC Menu" and Escape pod behavio

Post by Coragem »

Guys, this one is annoying, when i get destroyed but only Eject and not die, i have to quit the game so i can load the game again and continue playing.

I hope the " ; to Reload " that we have into the Death screen could be added into the "Esc Menu".
I have to quit the game once for each time i want to reload after getting into the escape pod.
(If my computer was slower, this would kill the gaming experience)

The Escape pod as it is now is very annoying, i aways hope i get blasted to pieces and not get ejected.
We need to be able to ask for help, and be delivered to a planet for a price. sometime in the future.

Another solution make the escape pod an Upgrade. (I kinda like this idea). If you don't have it you cant eject.
My System: Arch Linux x86_64 Bits CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 995 RAM: Kingston DDR2 800Mhz 8 GB GPU: Dual ATI Radeon HD 4830 512 MB Opensource ATI-Git Drivers. HD: SATA 500 Gb WindowManager: KDE4 Joystick: Thustmaster T.Flight Stick X USB
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

I agree, I was trying the escape pod for the first time today as I had the rare circumstance of getting the EJECT warning before being destroyed:

The pod is stupidly slow with a top speed of 13, you can cheat to get it up to 24 but it never accelerates to anywhere neart 12500 as stated for the top travel velocity. This makes closing on a planet a very long task
(though to be honest I wouldn't have expected the pod to be able to enter the atmosphere at all)

When you get back you're actually screwed, you don't necessarily have anything to buy a ship, the pod is unsuprisingly useless for cargo, and though you could upgrade it and do some bounty hunting to get back on your feet, it seems very unlikely to me...

Purchasing the escape cap as a seperate module, perhaps with an insurance policy for the price of a new Dodo would make more sense to me, it would mean the generic escape cap would be an add on, and get round the different cockpit styles/lack of escape pods on the meshes of all the ships as they are now.... I guess we could even have an extra mount point for the escape pod if we felt like it :wink:

PS can you use "!" to self destruct in the pod?
Save The Economy
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10605

My boxes: Dual Opteron 280s, Geforce 7600, 2GB RAM, but waiting for a new PSU! grrr...
500 MHz Compaq laptop that gives DC electric burns
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

Xit:
"Purchasing the escape cap as a seperate module, perhaps with an insurance policy for the price of a new Dodo"
I would suggest this myself. But was afraid someone would get :evil: saying i was coping over Frontier ideas. and i would have to duck and dodge some Stones...
PS can you use "!" to self destruct in the pod?
Can you use "!" to self destruct in the Ship :?:
My System: Arch Linux x86_64 Bits CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 995 RAM: Kingston DDR2 800Mhz 8 GB GPU: Dual ATI Radeon HD 4830 512 MB Opensource ATI-Git Drivers. HD: SATA 500 Gb WindowManager: KDE4 Joystick: Thustmaster T.Flight Stick X USB
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I do believe that the self destruct works in both :lol: i have done the haul back to a base or planet in the escape pod though i did have the trusty Llama.begin to fall back on ended up selling my self(the escape pod and pilot hang around as slaves)for the extra credit.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

Hehe you sold yourself?! :shock: I hope they gave you a good price :wink:

I do seem to remember self destructing an escape cap before too, it's like the most pathetic thing ever watching your little escape capsule blow up and you have to wonder where the pilot went... :shock:

As far as copying Frontier ideas goes, it was a sensible idea when it was thought up, and I dare say in 15 years somebody else has probably thought of it, most insurance policies work on that basic principle. The escape cap can be thought of as risk limitation, because when you go off looking for trouble and get yourself obliterated, you'll probably never make it back and the company won't have to pay up :wink:

It's difficult not to have similarities anyway, because Frontier was just so far ahead of it's time and really thought (most) things through pretty well. (I guess the whole universe is only *so* big :lol: )
Save The Economy

My boxes: Dual Opteron 280s, Geforce 7600, 2GB RAM, but waiting for a new PSU! grrr...
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I like the idea of paying an AI ship to carry you back to a planet. May be tough to implement realistically though. But it would be like RPG's where you respawn when you die but lose some credits/XP's. Just my 2 cents 8)
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

It seems when you eject that you send out a message to that effect, as though it's intended to be implemented sometime....

I think it would be good if it worked the other way too, (you would need to be flying through a system and have the option to take up new missions as they occur,) but then you could be out trading and accept a mission to recover somebody's capsule or cargo en route, for a smallish reward. Would be something a little less combat orientated than rescue missions from the bulletin board.
Save The Economy

()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

When you get back you're actually screwed, you don't necessarily have anything to buy a ship, the pod is unsuprisingly useless for cargo, and though you could upgrade it and do some bounty hunting to get back on your feet, it seems very unlikely to me...

Purchasing the escape cap as a seperate module, perhaps with an insurance policy for the price of a new Dodo would make more sense to me, it would mean the generic escape cap would be an add on, and get round the different cockpit styles/lack of escape pods on the meshes of all the ships as they are now.... I guess we could even have an extra mount point for the escape pod if we felt like it
That seems a point. I think nearly everyone is doing it like me, selfdestruct and reload. I never bought a pod in elite because it never made any sense to not reload. I think there should be something that makes it worth to use escape pods and accept the loss of things instead of reloading, but i have no clue what such could be.
Enjoy the Tri p :shock:
My Box:: Board: Fujitsu-Siemens D2156S; CPU: Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz Core²Duo; GraCa: ATI Radeon X1600Pro (PCIe); RAM: 3GB; Sound: Creative SB Audigy 1; 2xHD(ntfs): Pri_120GB,Sec_250GB; OS: Win-XP-Pro-SP2_32bit
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

@Alf() I think there'd need some to be some persistent enemy, or mission where the gain would be sufficient and having your ship desytroyed wouldn't cause you lose the mission or whatever... I could kind of imagine sacrificing a Llama full of explosives, or using a Plowshare carring like 10,000 tons as a ram against something, but I guess we need some special (or just better paid) missions first... Maybe it'd be worth it when wars between factions are a bit more realistic.
Save The Economy