A new HUD and sensor models

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
daschapa
Trader
Trader

A new HUD and sensor models

Post by daschapa »

Excuse my english. This is my proposal:
I've noticed frequentely i have pirate ships in front of mine I haven't seen until is too late, and they are firing me at will. So:
*Every object must be marked in HUD. We can assume that every class has a diferent marking. For example: squares for planets, hexagons for ships (that are less CPU expensive than circles)
*Enemy objects maked in red, friendly in green... etc.
*The selected object may have a cross, a more brilliant marking, or a animated marking.

*Include a "proximity alert" that sounds when an "enemy" object is near our ship (for example, when it comes close to "scan" range in contraband runs)

And i was thinking about a new sensor model.
*The heruristics radars marks in red not only our real "enemys", also the user defined "enemys" (useful in contraband runs).

And this part is applied to the "cloaking device vs. sensors" competence.
Every cloaking device has a chance of being detected, and every sensor system has a chance of detect a cloaked ship. But this chance deppends of the quality of every one.
Cloaked ship "B" has three variables
  • cloak-value
    cloak-depth
    ship-mass
And Sensor has another three variables
  • blind-value
    light-value
    sensor-strenght
Now, a cloaked ship stills undetected by default. Every time its cloaking device is activated, it choses a random cloak-value (but the pilot may chose one particular value) and cloaks.
Let me explain this with an example:
Ship A is trying to detect a cloaked ship B.
1 - B will be detected by A when it takes so "detection-hits" as cloak-depth.
2 - If B's cloak-value is equal to A's blind-value, then B doesn't take detection-hits from A
3 - If B's cloak-value is equal to A's light-value (but different to blind-value), then B takes an X amount of detection-hits from A.
4 - The "X" ammount of hits taken is dependant of distance between A and B, B's ship-mass, and A's sensor-strenght.

At this point it looks like it doesn't have much sense. But let me show you:
"B" can't change its cloak-value whitout uncloaking and re-cloacking. "A" can't change its blind-value without restarting the sensor system (which implies a long time of total blindness). However, A's light-value may be set to rotate (which consumes more power)
There's a difference between using low and high quality sensors/cloaking device: High quality sensors offers higher rotation speed (for light-value, wich implies spreading more hits to everywhhere) and higher sensor-strenght (which implies better long-range detection). High quality cloaking devices offers higher cloak-depth (whick implies most time undetected).

It looks like a bit confusing, but i thing that reading it twice anyone can get it.
Bye
Last edited by daschapa on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
=======================
Das Chapa
Course to next jump point...
Engage!!!

http://banderas-en-tu-corazon.blosgpot.com
GE_Muscat
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: A new VDU and sensor models

Post by GE_Muscat »

daschapa wrote: *Every object must be marked in VDU. We can assume that every class has a diferent marking. For example: squares for planets, hexagons for ships (that are less CPU expensive than circles)
*Enemy objects maked in red, friendly in green... etc.
*The selected object may have a cross, a more brilliant marking, or a animated marking.
Buy a better sensor package! IIRC all these features (longer range, IFF heuristics etc) are available in the more advanced radar available by upgrading.

My only gripe with the sensor system is that craft seem to appear on both front and rear sensors at the same time, with craft in front of you appearing on the edge of the rear display too. This might be deliberate but to an X-Wing Alliance veteran it seems like a bug.
daschapa
Trader
Trader

Re: A new VDU and sensor models

Post by daschapa »

GE_Muscat wrote:Buy a better sensor package! IIRC all these features (longer range, IFF heuristics etc) are available in the more advanced radar available by upgrading.
My mistake! I've said VDU when I wanted to say HUD. The objects must be not only marked in VDU but also in HUD (I've corrected it).
But I really like the cloak-sensor competence.
=======================
Das Chapa
Course to next jump point...
Engage!!!

http://banderas-en-tu-corazon.blosgpot.com