hostile targetting

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
jere19
Trader
Trader

hostile targetting

Post by jere19 »

After a few days of trade, i decided to buy myself a fighter and get some action.
I had the bad idea to try its weapons on some LIHW ship : i was in a system owned by LIHW...
I got a lot of attention :wink:

But the problem is while trying to dock, i got shot at. and browsing thru the hostiles (by pressing h) gave me all the people who didn't like me, so it took me quite a long time to find the one that was actually firing at me.

would it be possible to class the hostile by proximity ? usually you'd be more concerned by the one very close the you than by the one a few light seconds away
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

that would be very handy especial with all the traffic in SVN atm.

Enjoy the Choice :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Hot topic.
Bah - was hot at a point in time.

There are important issues in that classification that need to be resolved. A cool hotkey, though, would be "nearest hostile" - that's a standard key, usually 'r', and though it seems the same, it is entirely different once you get into the details. 'r' is implementable. Proximity-sorted 'h' isn't... reliably... without further specification details and buts.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

We need "r". I noticed that yesterday while trying to find a Rlaan system to do some testing, kept getting shot at, and took forever to target that baddie.
-- My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
jere19
Trader
Trader

Post by jere19 »

Well, i think the "nearest hostile key" would do the job perfectly. It should be more threatening hostile anyway.
mortaneous
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Location: Some small planet, Parallel Earth, Resources Negligeble

Post by mortaneous »

Perhaps a "target the last thing that shot/damaged me" key, not sure if that's easier or harder than "nearest hostile" but it can be rather handy. The only game I know that contains it is "Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter" for XBox.