Does vegastrike have these as a planned feature?

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
maximize_me
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Does vegastrike have these as a planned feature?

Post by maximize_me »

First idea is: like independance war 2, when performing in-system warp, you have to wait a few seconds before in-system warp gets charged as in going superduper fast speed to get from point A to B in a few seconds. after using your warp, you have to wait for a minute or two for the in-system warp thing to get charged before it can be used again.

The second idea is: the freelancer style neuronet for VS. All of the structures should be targeted on your computer except for hidden stuff like wormholes to another system, pirate bases, non-government/pirate friendly bases. With all the structures orbiting and always moving in space, how are you going to keep track of coordinates? perhaps they move very slowly so it should be fairly easy to track.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

1) The system warp thing is not implemented. However jump drives do need to charge up. But I like the idea of waiting to charge up in SPEC tho. See SOLUTION TO SPEC PROBLEMS thread. It minimizes too much use of SPEC.

2)Everything depends on your radar range. If it's good enough, you see everything. There are no hidden things yet because if you can't see em, you'll only have a one-chance-in-a-gazillion to bump into it.

Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I guess an additional ramp-up time could be added, one that ramps from 0 to the minimum SPEC multiplier. That could be used to implement that, along with some "curve fitting". For instance, nil-rampup-time = 15s, nil-rampup-exp = 8, makes the thing grow like:

Code: Select all

0s
|
|
|+ 7s
|+++
|+++++++
|++++++++++10 (min multiplier - suppose)
15s
So, only at 7s you start seeing noticeable speedups. I think it could work.
Do I have the time to implement it? I dunno - if it doesn't get implemented soon, feel free to bump the subject.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
maximize_me

Post by maximize_me »

if you have a radar range and the chances of finding something hidden with distances like that is one in a million, then this gives me an idea...

how about radar range that increases dramatically when going in spec mode? i mean increase the radar range by 100x temporarly. example: from 35k to 3.5 mil.

it's not realistic yeah but it good for the gameplay.

also known as spec radar, so you will have a better chance of finding something hidden so spec radar lists ALL of the items in it's range. and be able to target mosty non-moving objects in the progress.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

What could be a reason for leaving the spec radar off in normal flight then? Why not have it on at all times? (Just prompting for ideas)
Cockroach
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Cockroach »

Seems to me that something like SPEC would completely shut down the radar instead of boosting it.

That, and 3,500,000km would have a hell of a lot of time delay so you'd run into whatever you were scanning for before your radar bounced back anyway :P

Post by Guest »

There can be a super long distance radar scan without using spec, so you can view 100x in range but you have to stop your engines, disable shields, and disable guns temporarly in order to do this.

This would make more sense than "Spec" radar.
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

@Klauss
So, only at 7s you start seeing noticeable speedups
How about baisng it on the current capacitator you're using?

I mean better capacitators, shorter ramp-up times.

Or how about basing it on mass?

Hence smaller ships, faster ramp-up. capships, slower ramp-ups. Gives another edge for small ships in dogfights.

And sure, I'll bump this if you're too busy to code it asap. It looks like a great idea.
:D
There can be a super long distance radar scan without using spec, so you can view 100x in range but you have to stop your engines, disable shields, and disable guns temporarly in order to do this.

This is indeed better, methinks. So Sensor drones will carry this kind of radar and sweep intermittently. Stopping to scan the system then jumping on. (That's a simple enough ai, is it not?)

Ships can buy it, disable shields (is this possible?) and ping the system for say... a minimum of 20 seconds in order to get a nav-map of the whole system.
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...

Post by Guest »

The pilot has two different types of navigation systems.

The radar, and the neuronet style map.

your ship does not need to power down everything on your ship in order to see the map.

My main idea is, powering down most of the parts of the ship to get a 1/10'th view of the entire system and it targets from moving ships to, wormholes that are not on the map.