a couple of my suggestion hi-lights for vegastrike.

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
semicolon
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

a couple of my suggestion hi-lights for vegastrike.

Post by semicolon »

1. throttle control - somewhere on the hud theres gotta be two bars. first one for the throttle % control and the second one is the actual thrust and speed. so when you cut engine throttle to 0%, your ship will be drifting while you can rotate in any direction you like while drifting in that direction.. thats the type of thing i would like 2 see in this game.

2. space dust. i need to tell if my ship is moving or not.

3. spec mode - there needs to be some type of delay before entering spec mode. example: you hit the spec mode key(a) and u will get "entering spec in 15 seconds" or what other ships u have. when n spec you should not be able to shoot.

4. engine sounds - currently there are no engine sounds for any type of ships. engine sounds can be pitched or have its volume change depending on the engine thrust.

5. docking and planets- currently when I dock my ship at a planet, there is a picture claiming that my ship is now docked at a planet, also in a situation where I have bad guys on me, a few seconds later my ship blows up at the planet docking scene. well gee, I think that is sort of annoying for that to happen since it didn't make any sense. i assume my ship was sitting outside of space when I docked at a planet. how about this for a change: hide the ship when you dock at a planet.

6. docking and stations- how can we solve the problem where your ship is still visible while docked at a station? think about it in multiplayer mode or not, theres gonna be a fleet of ships(small ones) docking at stations and the docking ports will be clutterd with them.

and oh by the way, I haven't seen an NPC ship dock at planets or stations.

7. ship upgrades, when u upgrade your ship there should be a downside as well. example: you increase your engine thrust, you expect your gun capacitor to be shorter. or if you increase armor, expect yer speed to be slow..

k that too much stuff.
i see u l8ter.

oh btw nice game.
BurninLeo
Trader
Trader

Re: a couple of my suggestion hi-lights for vegastrike.

Post by BurninLeo »

semicolon wrote:1. throttle control - somewhere on the hud theres gotta be two bars.
What I would like to append to "throttle control": Buttons for 25% and 50% speed (it takes half an hour to get 50% speed via +/- keys) - and one for 200% because in most battles it is sensible to fight not in "combat" but in "navigation" mode.
semicolon wrote:2. space dust. i need to tell if my ship is moving or not.
I do not think so. In space there is no fixed point without motion. Every movement is relative ;)

But a movement vector (like a compass, relative to my view) would be fine. I often get away from a plant with afterburner, but when I am far enough for spec it takes a minute to change movement-direction to my target (which might be left hand). So if I go to spec to early I always drift away...
semicolon wrote:when n spec you should not be able to shoot.
You are not able to shoot while in spec :)
prestidigitator
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by prestidigitator »

Welcome!
semicolon wrote:1. throttle control - somewhere on the hud theres gotta be two bars. first one for the throttle % control and the second one is the actual thrust and speed. so when you cut engine throttle to 0%, your ship will be drifting while you can rotate in any direction you like while drifting in that direction.. thats the type of thing i would like 2 see in this game.
Yeah, it would be kinda nice to be able to type in your desired speed as a number, instead of using the +/- keys. I don't find thrust to be an issue, though. The ship can worry about that unless I need to use afterburners, and then I want thrust to be no less than 100%.

Oh, and you can turn without changing your velocity (vector). You just hold down the backtick ('`' or '~' on U.S. keyboards) key (at least that is the default binding).
semicolon wrote:2. space dust. i need to tell if my ship is moving or not.
Could be interesting to see a significant particle every once and a while, and maybe a faint noise as occasional dust particles bounce off your hull/shields. For the most part the number indicating your current sun-relative velocity is sufficient, I think. It might also be nice to have a directional velocity indicator and one relative to your reference object as well as the sun, though.
semicolon wrote:3. spec mode - there needs to be some type of delay before entering spec mode. example: you hit the spec mode key(a) and u will get "entering spec in 15 seconds" or what other ships u have. when n spec you should not be able to shoot.
Hmm. Interesting. I suppose if we did that we could ramp up the SPEC multiplier faster, since the issue of using it to escape attackers wouldn't be so great if there were a delay.
semicolon wrote:4. engine sounds - currently there are no engine sounds for any type of ships. engine sounds can be pitched or have its volume change depending on the engine thrust.
That would be kind of a nifty little nicety. Should be optional, though.
semicolon wrote:5. docking and planets- currently when I dock my ship at a planet, there is a picture claiming that my ship is now docked at a planet, also in a situation where I have bad guys on me, a few seconds later my ship blows up at the planet docking scene. well gee, I think that is sort of annoying for that to happen since it didn't make any sense. i assume my ship was sitting outside of space when I docked at a planet. how about this for a change: hide the ship when you dock at a planet.

6. docking and stations- how can we solve the problem where your ship is still visible while docked at a station? think about it in multiplayer mode or not, theres gonna be a fleet of ships(small ones) docking at stations and the docking ports will be clutterd with them.

and oh by the way, I haven't seen an NPC ship dock at planets or stations./quote]
Really? Wow. I don't think I've been destroyed while docked, but I have noticed that while I am docked time does not progress at all, so docking doesn't get you away from your attackers (though it might give you a chance to make repairs in a tight spot).
semicolon wrote:7. ship upgrades, when u upgrade your ship there should be a downside as well. example: you increase your engine thrust, you expect your gun capacitor to be shorter. or if you increase armor, expect yer speed to be slow..
There are definitely down sides. For example, some upgrades add mass, which reduces your acceleration unless you compensate with another upgrade that can generate more thrust (you may not want to add much mass to small ships!). Some weapons use energy a lot faster than others, as do afterburners and shields (when they are regenerating). There is also a finite amount of upgrade space (not to mention that some upgrades are EXPENSIVE).

Of course, I think there is a 'rebalancing' effort underway. I have no idea how that is going to change everything.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Welcome!

Btw, the space dust in Privateer remake sucks, frankly. A micrometeorite now and then would be cool, though...
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

prestidigitator wrote: Really? Wow. I don't think I've been destroyed while docked, but I have noticed that while I am docked time does not progress at all, so docking doesn't get you away from your attackers (though it might give you a chance to make repairs in a tight spot).
Being destroyed while docked was something present in earlier versions of VS. Time was turned off during dock for the current versions, because there was insufficient support for A) letting the player know if the dock was internal/external (i.e. unprotected/protected) B) the status of the base/their ship. Thus C) because of A and B there were many complaints - so as an interim solution, until more support is added, time is paused. This was certainly the case in the 0.4.3 release.