Mission/Campaign Engine Rewiring.

Darkmage
Merchant
Merchant

Mission/Campaign Engine Rewiring.

Post by Darkmage »

Hi,

I am working on creating a tool for editing missions for Freespace 2 and Vegastrike. I would like assistance with reworking the campaign.py from Privateer Gemini Gold and associated missions, to break up mission components from campaign components in a more sane way. Which will then allow for greater control over mission content. Essentially what I want to achieve is this:
Complete separation of campaign content from mission content. Campaign content should be saved in its own file, which may be campaign.py or another .py file. The missions should each have their own python file. E.g mission1.py mission2.py etc. I am available on IRC, the forums and jcarthew@gmail.com. I am serious about getting this working. If someone would like to collaborate with me on this I would appreciate the help. The end goal is a 3d mission editor similar to FRED2 for Freespace 2. I understand that currently the Vegastrike missions are structured for code reuse, but I want to get them to a point where very detailed custom missions are possible.
If you're interested in helping with mission editor/engine development contact me at jcarthew@gmail.com or irc.freenode.net #vegastrike.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Mission/Campaign Engine Rewiring.

Post by TBeholder »

Darkmage wrote: Complete separation of campaign content from mission content. Campaign content should be saved in its own file, which may be campaign.py or another .py file. The missions should each have their own python file. E.g mission1.py mission2.py etc.
Well, obviously. I don't know how global variables work in this embedded Python, however.
Darkmage wrote: The end goal is a 3d mission editor similar to FRED2 for Freespace 2.
VS right now doesn't even have a good 3D map. Though if on the other end is a scene editor with 3D primitives, like Art of Illusion, import/export of system XML can't be too complex... that is, after the part where someone digs through either binary format or importer API (if using JDK).
Darkmage wrote: I understand that currently the Vegastrike missions are structured for code reuse, but I want to get them to a point where very detailed custom missions are possible.
Code reuse is what's supposed to be done via procedural/object programming, no? I mean, it's still Python, the parts just need to be made generic enough.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter