How about Newton's law of universal gravitation?

Gr
Explorer
Explorer

How about Newton's law of universal gravitation?

Post by Gr »

Hi!

Why when my vessel is near a planet, and I stop all engine, the vessel don't falling to the planet? It's non-sens, or I'm in orbital place, but I know it's not.

Here, the page about grabitation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s ... ravitation

Don't worry, small object don't have any influence for other, but big than planet or stars...

On my favorite old game : Frontier Elite (or oolite package in Debian), it was great. The Auto-pilot can help you to search and fix the good speed to be in orbital near a planet or his natural satelit.
Why not in Vega Strike?

If we can considere for each planet (ans his satelit) and stars on a system with :
- coordinate of center -> permit to calc the distance from object to the center g and the vessel
- mass
we can easily calculate the gravity.

And, we also can remove the SPEC off when the Auto-pilot is off. (I think there is another subject about this).

See you
G
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: How about Newton's law of universal gravitation?

Post by loki1950 »

The gravity is there but their are lots of conditionals if I remember correctly mostly because most people assume they are flying like a plane not a space craft :shock: and crashing into the first planet you happen upon.In more detail you are in an orbit and it will decay slowly enough for you get the hell out of there :) The auto-pilot tries to avoid gravity wells as SPEC does not work well near large masses it usually turns itself off about 2.5 km from your destination.With out SPEC going from planet to planet would take hours not seconds fiddling with time is not a trivial thing as the rest of the universe would go out out sync that is our main reason for SPEC and it still causes problems in the physics frame.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

GrégoireG wrote: If we can considere for each planet (ans his satelit) and stars on a system with :
- coordinate of center -> permit to calc the distance from object to the center g and the vessel
- mass
For complete realism or accuracy you would also need to know the density and mass of the primary composition of the material the world is made up of, but I doubt anyone wants to have THAT much detail.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Gr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Gr »

pheonixstorm wrote:
GrégoireG wrote: If we can considere for each planet (ans his satelit) and stars on a system with :
- mass
For complete realism or accuracy you would also need to know the density and mass of the primary composition of the material the world is made up of, but I doubt anyone wants to have THAT much detail.
But, we needn't compleet realism.
So, just the center and the mass make a good simple way.

In Selpheed_17 (may be I misspeled the name of the system), the star is smaller than my vessel... how it's possible?
I not yet checked other stars.

I discovered this when I travel from Serenity to Atlantis.

Now, I think all system don't move, really?
Gr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Gr »

loki1950 wrote:The gravity is there but their are lots of conditionals if I remember correctly mostly because most people assume they are flying like a plane not a space craft :shock: and crashing into the first planet you happen upon.In more detail you are in an orbit and it will decay slowly enough for you get the hell out of there :) The auto-pilot tries to avoid gravity wells as SPEC does not work well near large masses it usually turns itself off about 2.5 km from your destination.With out SPEC going from planet to planet would take hours not seconds fiddling with time is not a trivial thing as the rest of the universe would go out out sync that is our main reason for SPEC and it still causes problems in the physics frame.

So, Vega-Strike is not to simulate space flight. Why needn't add sound when a vessel explode for us? Like stupid space movies?
In "Star Wreak in the pikening", no sound when vessel explode... it's space, so no sound.

So, we destroy the game because some people can't pilot a space vessel? Where is the pleasure in this case?

Vega-Strike have many different vessels, planet, asteroïds, pirate and trade economy, some aliens... but it's still like a flight simulator, in space... no sence.

Today I discovered another project, like the famous old game "Frontier Elite" : Pioneers : http://pioneerspacesim.net/
Only missing that all Vega-Strike have.

My dream is to merge all together...

People want only flight simulator should try FGFS instead Pioneers.
The great FGFS : http://www.flightgear.org/
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Try turning off the flight-comp if you want the real space experience then you have to figure out on which vector to apply thrust and the exact time and duration to get to your destination,not fun so we have that flight-comp on by default as we are presenting this simulator as a game with real physics not arcade style ala the various shoot-em ups produced commercially.one thing that is not modelled very accurately is the scale of the solar systems their about 1/10 want they should be again that is for game play reasons,and since all those definitions are in text file they are easy to mod :D We do have several mods based in the Wing Commander/Privateer universe but they are not up to date with the current engine code a few are still using binaries from six years ago there is an effort currently under way to update them.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Gr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Gr »

Hi!

In Pioneers, there is space-time compression. I ever know that is not easy in Vega-Strike.

Yes, with Pioneers, accross space need time, long time (but it's easy to select time speed).

Vega-Strike and pioneers are differents.

I will think how to adapt vessels, and other stuff to pioneers. Why works two time?

What Pionner can give to Vega-Strike?
Gr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Gr »

Yesterday I downloaded the Pioneer software.

The "auto-pilot" works verry well. To dock in a station, he put the vessel in front of the opened door, not too far, and ajust fire to go inside the station. If the door is not reachable, he make a loop to place the vessel in front of the station's door. It's great to see the vessel back-flip to use rear reactor. It's almost the same to land on planet.

It's verry beautiful to fly near ground planet, or near (far in fact) a geant red star (with the OGRE engine).

With Pioneer, there is time compression, but I think this can be changed by something like boost engine like SPEC. In this case, the time is always the same (and planetary system don't change). This will need to change the auto-pilot who calculate the way to a station or a planet after space jump.

You should try Pioneer, and you will understand how Vega-Strike can be better. Of course, we can have "Kevin mode" like now but with a good auto-pilot, it's easy to land or dock in station, just watching the movie.

Please try Pioneer, you will understand why need merge this two project.

See you later :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Merging is not an option our engine's code has over ten years of history merging with any project would require maybe a year of planning before any code was touched it's not a trivial process just adding ORGE support has taken us 4 years and it's still not finished(no one working on it now either) sure it would be nice just not realistic when we do not have the resources that is programmers and artists ATM.Any open source project is in the same boat not enough people that can do the work and are willing to do so for free,some do get lots but it usually dies down fairly quickly as the scale of work involved is discovered.

Gr
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Gr »

You listen "mergin" like developper...

If some parts can be reused without too difficults... why not? I think about vessels, trading and missions.
For Vega-strike, the auto-pilot used in Pioneer is verry clever.

See you later