vssetup wiki page update

Complaints, compliments, suggestions. Have something to say about vegastrike.sourceforge.net? Here's the place to bring it up.
greendreamer
Trader
Trader

vssetup wiki page update

Post by greendreamer »

Hi all,

I'm checking the vssetup parameters wiki page.
It seems it has been written for VS 4.3, and needs to be updated.

I have some questions about the "computer" parameters (I can't find answers in vegastrike.config, nor on the forums) :

- What does implies "force lightning" in the vegastrike.config's "graphics" section (simply, it's just for the wiki) ?
- What does mean "every other mount" in the "audio" section ?
- What does mean "simulation atom" in the "general" section ? I've understand in this discussion (http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic ... 7&p=116055) that it would be a time base unit(?). The smaller "simulation atom" is, the fluider action is?
- What is the unit for "inactive system time", in the "physics" section?

Thanks in advance
Greendreamer

PS : simulation atom seems to be a complicated parameter. Perhaps should not be mentioned in this area of the wiki?
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: vssetup wiki page update

Post by TBeholder »

greendreamer wrote:- What does implies "force lightning" in the vegastrike.config's "graphics" section (simply, it's just for the wiki) ?
No idea.
graphics/ForceLighting [true], however... forces lighting. :wink: As in, determines whether VS sets default lightning instead of using the value from mesh's file.
greendreamer wrote:- What does mean "every other mount" in the "audio" section ?
[false] A performance option. Half of firing non-missile (gun/beam) mounts don't make sounds.
greendreamer wrote:- What is the unit for "inactive system time", in the "physics" section?
[0.3] Update priority multiplier for inactive systems. When the stack (of up to NumRunningSystems) is checked, they are updated with priority of 1 for the first, and InactiveSystemTime to InactiveSystemTime/(NumRunningSystems-1) for the rest - see src/universe.cpp:294. When updating inactive systems, SIMULATION_ATOM is divided by priority - see src/star_system_generic.cpp:663.
Thus, for "2000MHz" option in config (NumRunningSystems=3; InactiveSystemTime=0.3) it's SIMULATION_ATOM, then SIMULATION_ATOM/0.3 (*3.3), then SIMULATION_ATOM/0.15 (*6.6). For "4000MHzPlus" (8 and 0.05), physics FPS of the second system is 1/20 of the current value, then 1/40, 1/60, etc - down to 1/140. Conversely, if it's set to 1.0, then the system PC ship just left will be simulated as precisely as the current one, for older ones precision degrades as 1/2, 1/3, etc.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
greendreamer
Trader
Trader

Re: vssetup wiki page update

Post by greendreamer »

Hello TBeholder,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
TBeholder wrote: No idea.
graphics/ForceLighting [true], however... forces lighting. :wink: As in, determines whether VS sets default lightning instead of using the value from mesh's file.
Yes, I suspected that answer to this question was a bit obvious. :) Thanks however for the precision. :wink:
TBeholder wrote: [false] A performance option. Half of firing non-missile (gun/beam) mounts don't make sounds.
OK, I'll write it in the Wiki.
TBeholder wrote:- [0.3] Update priority multiplier for inactive systems. When the stack (of up to NumRunningSystems) is checked, they are updated with priority of 1 for the first, and InactiveSystemTime to InactiveSystemTime/(NumRunningSystems-1) for the rest - see src/universe.cpp:294. When updating inactive systems, SIMULATION_ATOM is divided by priority - see src/star_system_generic.cpp:663.
Thus, for "2000MHz" option in config (NumRunningSystems=3; InactiveSystemTime=0.3) it's SIMULATION_ATOM, then SIMULATION_ATOM/0.3 (*3.3), then SIMULATION_ATOM/0.15 (*6.6). For "4000MHzPlus" (8 and 0.05), physics FPS of the second system is 1/20 of the current value, then 1/40, 1/60, etc - down to 1/140. Conversely, if it's set to 1.0, then the system PC ship just left will be simulated as precisely as the current one, for older ones precision degrades as 1/2, 1/3, etc.
Aouch! I didn't suspected it was so complicated. I think I understand what you mean, but to express it simply in the wiki for newbies... However I'll try to explain it and give a link to this thread.

Thanks again for your answer!
Greendreamer