Doublette galleries

Complaints, compliments, suggestions. Have something to say about vegastrike.sourceforge.net? Here's the place to bring it up.
Augie.Ben.Doggie
Trader
Trader

Doublette galleries

Post by Augie.Ben.Doggie »

I am just jumping in with my newly created account (first post) with some bug tracking:

The gallery is currently available at two locations:

http://forums.vega-strike.org/cpg and
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forums/cpg.

Unfortunately both have been updated since the fork. Looks like a fix by an administrator is required.
I believe the gallery on this domain (forums.vega-strike.org) is the one to be used?
I just fixed an ancient broken link on http://wiki.vega-strike.org/HowTo:Contr ... creenshots to the gallery on this domain as I believe this to be the correct one. This is also the gallery that is linked to by the 'screenshot' tab at http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/.
Sic transit gloria mundi
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Doublette galleries

Post by pheonixstorm »

There are a lot of links that need to be fixed... Anything still pointing to the sourceforge pages should be valid though a bit dated. There hasn't been enough changes overall to obsolete the information on sourceforge yet.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Augie.Ben.Doggie
Trader
Trader

I see what you mean, I think. There will be a lot of external web pages relying on the sourceforge based coppermine gallery for inline images.
Sic transit gloria mundi
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

There are a lot of links in the wiki that have not been updated to point here and continue to point to the gallery at sourceforge, wiki pages on sourceforge, or the old forums. In all cases we try to update them when we find them.

One idea for the forums I just thought of is using a new bbcode maybe [vegastrike]partial address here[/vegastrike] which would turn into soemthing.vega-strike.org/partial address here. Not sure about a tag for the gallery or wiki though.. haven't studied either of those enough to try.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Augie.Ben.Doggie
Trader
Trader

pheonixstorm wrote:There are a lot of links in the wiki that have not been updated to point here and continue to point to the gallery at sourceforge, wiki pages on sourceforge, or the old forums. In all cases we try to update them when we find them.
Ok having had a closer look at the wiki I realise how my pointing at the galleries was like pointing at a bread crumb on a soiled shirt :wink:

I think the whole wiki thing needs a systematic approach. You can get references to everything that points to content on vegastrike.sourceforge.net with this link:

http://wiki.vega-strike.org/mediawiki/i ... 0&offset=0

At this moment it returns a total of 758 links. This can be broken down into smaller chunks and worked off bit by bit (a lot of those don't need any changing as some services are still run on sourceforge). Alas the result is quirky as not all links seem to come up. Example:

http://wiki.vega-strike.org/mediawiki/i ... egister.py

If you look at the results of that query you will see these three entries: Say if you click on the French one and go there on the link to see the English version. The link in the English version is the same as the French one and should have but didn't come up in the search (and yes, that English version is on wiki.vega-strike.org too).

I've got a hunch that the cause for this might lie in links to functional wiki pages (like Categories, Templates...) on the sourceforge wiki.
So it looks like here is where I am going to start some work now.
pheonixstorm wrote:One idea for the forums I just thought of is using a new bbcode maybe [vegastrike]partial address here[/vegastrike] which would turn into soemthing.vega-strike.org/partial address here. Not sure about a tag for the gallery or wiki though.. haven't studied either of those enough to try.
On the wiki this could be done with a template. I can look into that too as I am going to do some template hacking anyway now.

I believe apache has a way to redirect you dynamically. Say if you click on a link foo.bar/here/<any file> it sends you based on a rule to foolish/<any file>. This requires access to the httpd.conf though.
Sic transit gloria mundi
Augie.Ben.Doggie
Trader
Trader

What I've been doing seems to work. For one the example for the reference above. That one is coming up now as expected.

There were 181 references to things under http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/, most of them to http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/media ... ction=edit

After a change to a template they slowly disappear now. There seems to be some caching going on so results are not seen straight away. Last I checked the count was at 32.

While the count of those 'fake' references is going down the count of other links is increasing. :roll: Well, was to be expected.
Sic transit gloria mundi
Augie.Ben.Doggie
Trader
Trader

There seems to be a new problem with the galleries listed below. I am quite sure they were there two days ago or so. So we've got a lot of broken images in the wiki right now.
Well, originally I meant to send an update re fixed up links in the new wiki:
Not much left to do:
Actually before I go ahead with any other changes I am going to wait now for some news on the galleries. Just in case there is some restructuring going on ... if someone could tell me more about those areas, i.e. if they are just temporarily down please. That would be helpful.
Sic transit gloria mundi
Augie.Ben.Doggie
Trader
Trader

As promised here are the logs of the script run in case anyone needs a reference.
See README
The extension xz is not allowed.
Hmmmm :?
gzipped then. Almost twice the size...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sic transit gloria mundi
Augie.Ben.Doggie
Trader
Trader

Just... while the old galleries are getting fixed.... (are they though? no one said anything about it - or I just didn't find it)

@pheonixstorm: i promised to look into the wiki templates thing... all I think they are useful for in this context would be a string replace for the domain name. I don't think that's going to push a wheel on the quest to simplify / making more generic links. People are going to copy past the whole string (as in uri) just more comfortably than just copying whatever comes behind the slash...

The only benefit I see in using a template for forum links is making them look more flashy. I personally don't see the point in that though.

If you where thinking about another feature or have another opinion in that context just come back to me. If anything still needs implementing I'm ready to run a full replace on all current forum links (or any other bulk text replace on the wiki as is).

Apart from that. There are still links to vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forums on this forum. Not many - should be a fairly quick job but that requires admin rights and I can't help.
Sic transit gloria mundi
greendreamer
Trader
Trader

Post by greendreamer »

Hello,
Thanks to Augie.Ben.Doggie, numerous links to forum and pictures were restored in the wiki.
(http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic ... 53&t=18464 )
I'd like to restore manually the few pictures links which are still broken in the manual.

I found several pictures in this gallery (thank you Augie.Ben.Doggie for the links ;-) ), which represent partially what is missing in the wiki (but with different names and folders).

So I've got three questions :
1 - Is this the correct place to find pictures for the wiki? (broken links in the wiki rather look like "http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... ade_screen", for example).
2 - If I upload new images (new illustrations, thumbnails for existing pictures...), are there specifications for size and format?
3 - Should these pictures stay in the "Documentation Images" gallery (which, according to its description, is rather a transit zone) or should they be moved in another (maybe new) gallery?

Thanks.
Greendreamer.

PS : noticeably, this way to create thumbnails was not used in the manual (or I have not seen it).
I'll try to use it, rather than create thumbnails in the galleries.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

It is possible that some of the links pointed to the old gallery (pre coppermine). I'm not certain of this though... I haven't really used the gallery so I would not really be of help and i'm not sure if there is anyone else around who may be able to help. klauss might but even then I am not sure how much hes done with the gallery AND wiki.
greendreamer
Trader
Trader

Post by greendreamer »

OK, thanks for your answer, Phoenixstorm. :)
So I'll start to fix broken links, and I will see progressively how it works.
See you later.
Greendreamer
greendreamer
Trader
Trader

Post by greendreamer »

Hello, this is me again. :D

I've begun to update links to screenshots in the wiki, and I've updated the "Manuel of style" section.
Then, I tried to upload a picture to add a thumbnail in Coppermine, and it answered me...
"Error executing ImageMagick - Return value: 127"
Searching on the web, I discovered that Coppermine couldn't find ImageMagick's path on the server.
( http://documentation.coppermine-gallery ... emagick127 )
Could someone with access to the server look at this problem?
In the meantime, I'll continue to include existing pictures.
Thank you!
Greendreamer.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

that is something that www2 will have to check on as even i don't have full access on the server.
greendreamer
Trader
Trader

Post by greendreamer »

OK, thanks Phoenixstorm.
So, www2, if you could take a glance when you've got a little time... :wink:
Thanks in advance.
Greendreamer
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Sorry for the late respons but i have just install image ImageMagick.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
greendreamer
Trader
Trader

Post by greendreamer »

Thank you very much www2! :D
It works well now.
No problem for the delay, I've meanwhile modified one or two other things on the wiki.
Good evening.
Greendreamer.
Hekaton
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Hekaton »

Is there any gallery one can use for the wiki by now? All I found where dead links, even the ones that are from 2013. The only gallery I found was the "sourceforge" which is rather small and doesn´t accept my account due to being connected to the old forum (at least it says something like that).
Without any images the wiki looks very sad! Any suggestions?

Greetings
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Hekaton wrote:Is there any gallery one can use for the wiki by now? All I found where dead links, even the ones that are from 2013. The only gallery I found was the "sourceforge" which is rather small and doesn´t accept my account due to being connected to the old forum (at least it says something like that).
Without any images the wiki looks very sad! Any suggestions?

Greetings
Thanks for the bug report.
The problem was that i hhave update the gallery but forgot update the database.

And the Correct link for the gallary is: http://forums.vega-strike.org/cpg/
Hekaton
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Hekaton »

Thank you for your fast reply!

Now I have access to the gallery by the forum-account, but still there are issues:

First of all the upload crashes everytime printing: "Kritischer Fehler
Error executing ImageMagick - Return value: 127"
Should I use any other than PNG oder JPG?

The other issue is the size:
Since it is limited to 1MB per image one gets rather quickly to big using screenshots in 1440/900 or even higher resolutions. Is it possible to increase to 2MB?

Normaly I´m not that nasty, but I modified the ring and gas planet textures and took some screenshots that will impress some guys! ;-)

Greetings
Hekaton
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Hekaton »

Managed it. Was a kind of ID10t problem. ;-)
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

Hekaton wrote:Managed it. Was a kind of ID10t problem. ;-)
Not a ID10t problem.
I forgot to install ImageMagick. ;)