Wiki editing seems to be working again for new users!

Complaints, compliments, suggestions. Have something to say about vegastrike.sourceforge.net? Here's the place to bring it up.
IansterGuy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Wiki editing seems to be working again for new users!

Post by IansterGuy »

Yay, I can log into the wiki again to make changes for the first time since the 2012 crash. I was just about to make a request. Too bad I can't quite remember exactly all the little things I was going to change, but it's progress none the less.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Wiki editing seems to be working again for new users!

Post by klauss »

I never had any trouble with it... then again, I'm not new :p
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
IansterGuy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by IansterGuy »

Okay, so I have been making many changes to the HowTo:Checkout_SVN#Linux_Clients in preparation to separate and merge the building instructions to HowTo:Compile_from_SVN which I plan to rename to "HowTo:Compile_from_SVN_on_Linux". I need people to review my work to ensure that the instructions make sense in their new order. They didn't make much sense in their old older either actually. I have run into many outdated instructions that where too simply patched to make sense and I'm rewording some things to make them true in the new order.

Currently I'm finishing up changing thinks in the checkout_SVN#Linux_Clients then I will move the orphaned build instructions to "HowTo:Compile_from_SVN" which is the page that concerns me! It seems to be a little outdated currently and I'm not going to change the things that I don't quite understand, I'll just add the build instructions and then probably patch it up just enough, though I think some parts needs revising.

The installing pages are some of the most important pages on the wiki for getting new potential developers setup so that is why I think they should be looked at closely.
IansterGuy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by IansterGuy »

I am pretty much done making changes to these two pages for now, because I may need to think about other changes. I spent some time to research some of the things I was uncertain about and I concluded that the building instructions where in the wrong order, which is why I could not understand them originally. I did not test them specifically, so if they are done significantly different in order than Ubuntu and many other projects, there could be an issue.

I changed the order of both these Linux SVN download and compiling sections considerably and spent much of the time needed to fix the things that I broke in the process. I know there are other things to change because I kept running into more and more, but they are infrequent and I'm bored for now. I may ponder more about the wiki some. I changed the page name to be Linux specific and preferred to only mention Unix in passing since I don't even think it is a supported platform. The links could be updated but it seems that other pages did not bother changing links from redirects. This is all for now, it should be much more workable.
IansterGuy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by IansterGuy »

So what is going on with the wiki links? There seems to be two separate Wikis. Navigating from the main Wiki link would take me to here an up to date Wiki that I can log into and edit. But if I click the Subversion link on the home page it takes me to an alternate URL Vegastrike.sourceforge.net which I cannot log into. Is this a backup untill the links are updated or untill the wiki installation instructions verified as safe? I had made extensive changes to the Checkout_SVN page that linked from the subversion button on the Vega Strike main page.

As long as only one wiki can be loged into this is not too confusing. I would like to make some more small changes but am worrying a bit. Is there confidence enough in my changes to have them linked to from the front page?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

All wiki links to vegastrike.sourceforge.net are outdated and should be replaced by their corresponding wiki.vega-strike.org links.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Augie.Ben.Doggie
Trader
Trader

Post by Augie.Ben.Doggie »

klauss wrote:All wiki links to vegastrike.sourceforge.net are outdated and should be replaced by their corresponding wiki.vega-strike.org links.
Klauss, there are no wiki links to vegastrike.sourceforge.net with corresponding links to wiki.vega-strike.org or forums.vega-strike.org left. A detailed discussion of what has changed and what remains can be found here.

I agree with IansterGuy; there are some links to be fixed up on the home page TO the wiki (not ON the wiki). Another example would be the link to the manual. Someone with admin rights there would need to do that.

Is there still a case to keep the old wiki, now that so many of the links have been fixed? Maybe it can be replaced with a forward to the new one, the way it has been done for the forums?
Sic transit gloria mundi