Planetary Flight: Flight Dynamics

The point of no return for both Ogre ports. Permanent links will be stickied on top with current information of each port (Lua and Python)

Moderators: ghoulsblade2, strook

pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Planetary Flight: Flight Dynamics

Post by pheonixstorm »

Briefly referenced here.

So how involved do we want to make this really. Do we want to go all out and simulate weather? Me, I think it would be overkill. Nice maybe, but VS is primarily a space sim. And being a space sim how much will people actually do in a planets atmosphere?
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Planetary Flight: Flight Dynamics

Post by Primordial »

At least in part, it comes down to what you put in space, as I see it. I remember quite a while ago, I mentioned a matter of scale and spacial awareness when flying, particularly aware when dogfighting. It's one thing to fly around in space with little or nothing to restrict where and how you fly, and quite another to be flying through canyons and past outcrops, or amid tower-tops and buildings. It changes the entire perception of your space, speed and general experience and therefore immersion.

I suppose one major thing would be how craft, designed specifically to operate in a non-gravitational atmosphere, and so lacking things like wings, would be affected by gravity. How would a Clydesdale, for instance, fly with gravity to contend with? I image things like the Hyena or Robin would find it a lot easier, given their general likeness to a modern aeroplane.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Thats cover in some detail in the unit settings thread
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

I think most of the action in the atmosphere (aside from landing) would be in the upper atmosphere. Namely waiting to ambush landing craft just low enough to render non-atmospheric (in terms of combat/evasive maneuvers) craft vulnerable, while still high enough to allow time to retrieve cargo dropped. With most encounters occurring above weather, the fundamental core should be included for future development, but not active.
Hicks
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Hicks »

it would be good if we are able to do some basic stuff now, but try and design it in a way that a more complex system can be added later if needed, or at least one that can be built upon to expand it later.
Just some basic caluclations for lift and drag would be sufficient to start off, just so we can get the planetary flight working
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

For the landing zone we can use a simpel weather simulator (e.g. wind speed/direction,temp,rain/hail/snow) wich some rules (e.g. climate land/sea and how close by the north/south poll)
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
strook
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by strook »

i think we should:

1.: fix the spec with the athmosphere, that means, the lower you come, the more will be the spec be slowered through the athmosphere air thickness. this way you could like in infinity, travel around a planet easily if you fly to upper athmosphere. we should also fix the distance that the spec is on when flying towards an planet, so we could activate it in athmosphere.
2.: enable gravity when nearby a planet.

3.: (optional) enable a high athmosphere controllment of the unit... i mean, we should be able to activate real zero g controllment of the unit.
the only bad thing of this is that you could be able to move too fast, so it sould be only enabled to a certain speed((dogfight able speed)i think this speed and the speedchange should inherit with the altitude)
pls. check up infinity i mean like it is implemented there.
plz visit my vegastrike project branch here

plz support VegaOgre by donating to it!

My systems: Mac mini 1, 4gig RAM;
i5 Quad Core 2400, 300mbit WLAN, 1,3Tbyte HD, 60 GB SSD,
nvidia geforce 8400gs 512MB, 6gig RAM with Ubuntu 11.4,
win7 and hackintosh installed
Hicks
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Hicks »

1. I think spec should be disabled in atmosphere, it should drop you out of spec just above the atmosphere.

2.Gravity was being developed by BEZ_BASHNI http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic ... 21&t=17708 just waiting on a patch from him.

We will need some way to set the planet we are flying to as a point of reference, or it will hard landing on a planet that is moving fast compared to the sector