Planetary code

The point of no return for both Ogre ports. Permanent links will be stickied on top with current information of each port (Lua and Python)

Moderators: ghoulsblade2, strook

travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Planetary code

Post by travists »

klauss wrote:We could go for the better option entirely anyway. Which is defining light-years-across nebulae in galaxy.xml, define meshes for them, and render them on the background instead of merely a skybox.
That get's my vote! Galaxy.xml should be polled for some stars. 100 million entries is not practical, so a basic background of stars will be still needed.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I was thinking random stars for that.
Well, pseudorandom.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
greenfreedom10
Hunter
Hunter

Post by greenfreedom10 »

I would like to see the backgrounds become something found later on in the game, when the player approaches a nebula. And then it should be seen in particular directions only rather than all around.
strook
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by strook »

GREAT job !

i can't imagine it!

well i'll have to download the latest results...

so what did you actually do?

have you a new branch in vegastrike or updated you my branch in vegaogre and what about that if you wanted to move completely to ogre?

i think you needed to reimplement the whole gameinterface, i tried that already, it's a lot of rewriting work.

so do you really want to do that?

where could i start ? you you have any job for my right now that needs to be implemented?
plz visit my vegastrike project branch here

plz support VegaOgre by donating to it!

My systems: Mac mini 1, 4gig RAM;
i5 Quad Core 2400, 300mbit WLAN, 1,3Tbyte HD, 60 GB SSD,
nvidia geforce 8400gs 512MB, 6gig RAM with Ubuntu 11.4,
win7 and hackintosh installed
log0

Post by log0 »

Experimental branch is here https://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... perimental
You will additionally need the data from trunk.

The development is currently stalled till the atmosphere patch gets accepted.

To get an idea of what has been done and what is planned/requested just read this thread(too lazy to reiterate it).
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

log0 wrote:Experimental branch is here https://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... perimental

To get an idea of what has been done and what is planned/requested just read this thread(too lazy to reiterate it).
Do you have reviewers?

You should keep working, our review process is quite slow.
Wing Commander Universe
Hicks
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Hicks »

i don't think it got submitted to the review board, just to the sourceforge
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

log0 wrote:Experimental branch is here https://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... perimental

Shouldn't log0 get commit access in order to keep this branch (or his own branch) up to date? Reviewing for applying patches to branches seems OTT. Work should occur in branches then be reviewed for trunk. That's the appropriate process.
Last edited by charlieg on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I thought he already had commit access.

I just gave him. Just, log0, coordinate with pheonix since he started the branch - he should know you'll be committing there ;)
Wing Commander Universe
log0

Post by log0 »

I've started to look into vs meshes, techniques to pass them to ogre as this is pretty much a requirement to fix current z buffer issues, but haven't had much success so far. Any help is appreciated.

Btw the experimental branch has got line endings messed up, this could make syncing with trunk problematic. Any ideas(a new branch)?
log0

Post by log0 »

Just to get a bit more into detail. VS techniques are comparable to ogre materials, can be ported. VS shaders can be reused with some minimal tweaks(z scaling). I need to identify how meshes are associated to units and how techniques, textures are associated to meshes in vs code, where to plug ogre into.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I would suggest a new branch log0, let phoenixstorm manage experimental.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

log0 wrote:I've started to look into vs meshes, techniques to pass them to ogre as this is pretty much a requirement to fix current z buffer issues, but haven't had much success so far. Any help is appreciated.

Btw the experimental branch has got line endings messed up, this could make syncing with trunk problematic. Any ideas(a new branch)?
For z layering, take a look at the ogre branch. It was implemented there, IIRC.
The far layer uses an infinite zfar matrix.

Edit: Um... it seems I was reworking the technique a bit, to include more and more flexible layers. But the technique is simple, you do it by controlling the render queue sequence and doing some magic with listeners. Can't go into the specifics, Ogre changed a bit there since last time I tried it.
Wing Commander Universe
Hicks
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Hicks »

Any news? Is this going to get its own branch?
log0

Post by log0 »

No progress, sorry. Haven't looked at the code for almost a month now. RL can be really distracting from time to time.
maze
Hunter
Hunter

Post by maze »

klauss wrote:
log0 wrote:
Can you use VS's planet technique when far away, and switch to generated terrain when up close?
I hope to avoid switching. The lowest lod atm is about 3k vertices per planet, should be low-poly enough?
It's not about low-polyness, it's about quality.
The close-up techniques won't ever be suited for distant views.
But how to make the two match? One light-second away from a planet you see oceans and continents, but then you move up close, it would switch to generated and everything would change I guess.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

My idea is that procedural generation will use the textures as parameters, and fractals will be based on those. That way, where the texture say there's an ocean, mountain or plain, that's what's generated (fractally)
Wing Commander Universe
maze
Hunter
Hunter

Post by maze »

klauss wrote:My idea is that procedural generation will use the textures as parameters, and fractals will be based on those. That way, where the texture say there's an ocean, mountain or plain, that's what's generated (fractally)
Awesome. But let me point out that all this effort can't be just for sightseeing. There ought to be things to fight against (if not pilot oneself) on the ground. ;)
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I think that may be much farther off than planetary flight as we would need more art assets for cities, other units, ground installations, etc.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

pheonixstorm wrote:I think that may be much farther off than planetary flight as we would need more art assets for cities, other units, ground installations, etc.
Well, cities as seen from high up in the sky are quite doable without a lot of assets (check out earth's city lights, something similar for dayside could be worked out).

Closer to earth, it would depend on pseudorandom generation. That needs a lot of assets, but not as much as a whole planet would let you think.
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

pheonixstorm wrote:I think that may be much farther off than planetary flight as we would need more art assets for cities, other units, ground installations, etc.
The content is nothing compared to coding the functionality to fully support all those things. At that point you no longer have a game but an entire Universe, there's so little left you aren't simulating. No one would ever want to play anything else again.
Hicks
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Hicks »

buildings are easy to do, and there are hundreds of assets out there that are free to use. To add the functionallity to land on a planet and get out opens the game up to the point of infinte possiblites, and as Deus said, if you achieve that, VS could be the only simulation program people will ever play again
maze
Hunter
Hunter

Post by maze »

Deus Siddis wrote:
The content is nothing compared to coding the functionality to fully support all those things. At that point you no longer have a game but an entire Universe, there's so little left you aren't simulating. No one would ever want to play anything else again.
I agree. This begs the question, does it make more sense to have all this stuff working on perfect planetary spheres, and introduce the fractal terrains as a second step, or to code support for fractal terrain first, and ground units second.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

It always pays off to dream big but as klauss will attest we are short coders :shock: so we have to focus on incremental improvements for now.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Hicks
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Hicks »

Didn't someone mention a month or 2 ago there were forums where you could request help with projects? is it worth putting in a post requesting coders to help develop a planet interaction side for vega strike, eg landing, combat?