bootstrap error

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
hoyanf
Explorer
Explorer

bootstrap error

Post by hoyanf »

Running aclocal
Running autoheader
configure.ac:40: warning: do not use m4_patsubst: use patsubst or m4_bpatsubst
../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:196: AC_FOREACH is expanded from...
aclocal.m4:919: AM_CONFIG_HEADER is expanded from...
configure.ac:40: the top level
configure.ac:705: warning: do not use m4_regexp: use regexp or m4_bregexp
aclocal.m4:965: _AM_DIRNAME is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/status.m4:1378: _AC_OUTPUT_MAIN_LOOP is expanded from...
configure.ac:705: the top level
Running autoconf
configure.ac:40: warning: do not use m4_patsubst: use patsubst or m4_bpatsubst
../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:196: AC_FOREACH is expanded from...
aclocal.m4:919: AM_CONFIG_HEADER is expanded from...
configure.ac:40: the top level
configure.ac:705: warning: do not use m4_regexp: use regexp or m4_bregexp
aclocal.m4:965: _AM_DIRNAME is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/status.m4:1378: _AC_OUTPUT_MAIN_LOOP is expanded from...
configure.ac:705: the top level
Running automake
configure.ac: 18: automake requires `AM_PROG_LEX', not `AC_PROG_LEX'
automake-1.5: configure.ac: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE' must be used
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `list.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/list.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/list.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `module.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/module.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/module.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `aix_init_module.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/aix_init_module.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/aix_init_module.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `object_protocol.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object_protocol.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object_protocol.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `dict.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/dict.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/dict.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `numeric.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/numeric.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/numeric.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `errors.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/errors.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/errors.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `str.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/str.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/str.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `object_operators.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object_operators.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object_operators.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `long.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/long.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/long.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `pickle_support.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/pickle_support.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/pickle_support.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `life_support.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/life_support.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/life_support.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `inheritance.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/inheritance.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/inheritance.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `class.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/class.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/class.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `enum.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/enum.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/enum.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `function.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/function.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/function.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `iterator.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/iterator.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/iterator.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `from_python.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/converter/from_python.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/converter/from_python.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `registry.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/converter/registry.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/converter/registry.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `arg_to_python_base.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `builtin_converters.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/converter/builtin_converters.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/converter/builtin_converters.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `type_id.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/converter/type_id.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/converter/type_id.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `tuple.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/tuple.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/tuple.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `module.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_28/src/module.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/module.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `errors.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_28/src/errors.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/errors.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `life_support.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_28/src/object/life_support.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/life_support.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `function.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_28/src/object/function.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/function.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `list.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/list.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/list.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `module.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/module.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/module.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `aix_init_module.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/aix_init_module.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/aix_init_module.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `object_protocol.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object_protocol.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object_protocol.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `dict.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/dict.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/dict.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `numeric.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/numeric.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/numeric.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `errors.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/errors.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/errors.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `str.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/str.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/str.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `object_operators.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object_operators.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object_operators.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `long.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/long.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/long.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `pickle_support.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/pickle_support.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/pickle_support.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `life_support.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/life_support.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/life_support.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `inheritance.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/inheritance.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/inheritance.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `class.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/class.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/class.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `enum.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/enum.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/enum.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `function.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/function.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/function.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `iterator.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/object/iterator.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/object/iterator.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `from_python.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/converter/from_python.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/converter/from_python.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `registry.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/converter/registry.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/converter/registry.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `arg_to_python_base.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/converter/arg_to_python_base.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `builtin_converters.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/converter/builtin_converters.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/converter/builtin_converters.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `type_id.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/converter/type_id.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/converter/type_id.cpp'
automake-1.5: Makefile.am: object `tuple.$(OBJEXT)' created by `boost/1_31/src/tuple.cpp' and `boost/1_33/src/tuple.cpp'
An error occurred while running the autotools. Please correct.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Oops... hadn't tested it with version 1.5 installed.

Try running a "svn update" from the vegastrike directory... I just committed a new version of bootstrap-sh that looks for a more recent version of autotools, so try it now.
hoyanf
Explorer
Explorer

Post by hoyanf »

ace123 wrote:Oops... hadn't tested it with version 1.5 installed.

Try running a "svn update" from the vegastrike directory... I just committed a new version of bootstrap-sh that looks for a more recent version of autotools, so try it now.
Ace, do you think you can give me the previous bootstrap-sh file... coz the current one really doesnt work at all...

Thanks
hoyanf
hoyanf
Explorer
Explorer

Post by hoyanf »

This seems the problem :-

Code: Select all

if test -f $ac_dir/install-sh; then
    ac_install_sh="$ac_aux_dir/install-sh -c"
  { echo "configure: error: can not find install-sh or install.sh in $srcdir $srcdir/.. $srcdir/../.." 1>&2; exit 1; }
when running configure :-

configure: error: can not find install-sh or install.sh in . ./.. ./../..

Regards,
hoyanf
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The configure script specifically requires automake version 1.6 or higher, so I changed the script so as to look for version 1.6 installed, rather than accepting 1.5, which is too old and buggy.

In addition to being old, I seem to remember some specific changes between 1.4 and 1.5/1.6 that made them entirely incompatible...
If you are interested in why using 1.5 is a bad idea, see here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/20 ... 00886.html

While it would be nice to support older versions, after spending many hours hacking at Autotools scripts I still don't know nearly enough about automake to work in compatibility between versions, especially buggy ones like 1.5. I'm simply glad enough that it works fine with all version between 1.6 and 1.11 or whatever.

I would be interested in the exact messages you get from the new version of bootstrap-sh if it fails.

Also, could you run

ls -l /usr/bin/automake*
so as to show what versions of automake you have installed.

It should have fixed the problem if you have 1.6 or higher installed. If you only have 1.5 then I recommend installing a 1.6 version or else continue at your own risk (i.e. be prepared to fix a lot of random errors like the install-sh one you have now).

If automake is not in a standard location then you need to use the AUTOMAKE and ACLOCAL environment variables to specify the name of the binaries as is explained when running bootstrap-sh.
hoyanf
Explorer
Explorer

Post by hoyanf »

ace123 wrote:The configure script specifically requires automake version 1.6 or higher, so I changed the script so as to look for version 1.6 installed, rather than accepting 1.5, which is too old and buggy.

In addition to being old, I seem to remember some specific changes between 1.4 and 1.5/1.6 that made them entirely incompatible...
If you are interested in why using 1.5 is a bad idea, see here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/20 ... 00886.html

While it would be nice to support older versions, after spending many hours hacking at Autotools scripts I still don't know nearly enough about automake to work in compatibility between versions, especially buggy ones like 1.5. I'm simply glad enough that it works fine with all version between 1.6 and 1.11 or whatever.

I would be interested in the exact messages you get from the new version of bootstrap-sh if it fails.

Also, could you run

ls -l /usr/bin/automake*
so as to show what versions of automake you have installed.

It should have fixed the problem if you have 1.6 or higher installed. If you only have 1.5 then I recommend installing a 1.6 version or else continue at your own risk (i.e. be prepared to fix a lot of random errors like the install-sh one you have now).

If automake is not in a standard location then you need to use the AUTOMAKE and ACLOCAL environment variables to specify the name of the binaries as is explained when running bootstrap-sh.
My automake :-
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Sep 4 11:57 /usr/bin/automake -> ../lib/misc/am-wrapper.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 228K Sep 4 13:03 /usr/bin/automake-1.10
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 211K Sep 5 08:06 /usr/bin/automake-1.5
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 232K Sep 4 20:32 /usr/bin/automake-1.6
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 265K Sep 5 06:45 /usr/bin/automake-1.7
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 207K Sep 5 01:40 /usr/bin/automake-1.8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 217K Sep 5 03:11 /usr/bin/automake-1.9

The thing is i managed to built it with the previously svn but not with current... since my svn is overriden i cant say which is having the problem unless there's the previous built...

Regards,
hoyanf
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

So you do have a good version of automake installed.

I'm not really sure what's happening right now. I know you managed to get something out of the broken automake-1,5 (it seems to try them in the wrong order, and had a broken check). This should now be fixed.

As to reverting SVN, I would prefer not. We have been changing things around and trying to improve compatibility overall, so that isn't easy. I would prefer to figure out what is wrong with the current version of the autotools scripts.

So could you start from the beginning again?

First, delete the "configure" file as that might be out of date, and bootstrap-sh isn't always clear about whether the tools succeeded or not.

Then, run "./bootstrap-sh" and post the output of bootstrap-sh as it appears with the current SVN. It should complete successfully, but I would be interested in the output. If it fails to work, run "export AUTOMAKE=automake-1.6; export ACLOCAL=aclocal-1.6" and try again with that version.

Then, run the "./configure" If that fails, post (or attach) "config.log" file.

Then, if your configure succeeds, run "make" and post the lines where a GCC error occurs.

Edit: As to reverting, if you are talking about the latest change I just made to prevent it from using 1.5, that was a one-line change, but I could have made a stupid BASH error somewhere, so the output of running the script would be especially important.
In addition, if bootstrap-sh gives an error like "you don't have the right version installed", try it again with the "-x" option so it gives verbose output.

Thanks,
Patrick
hoyanf
Explorer
Explorer

Post by hoyanf »

ace123 wrote:So you do have a good version of automake installed.

I'm not really sure what's happening right now. I know you managed to get something out of the broken automake-1,5 (it seems to try them in the wrong order, and had a broken check). This should now be fixed.

As to reverting SVN, I would prefer not. We have been changing things around and trying to improve compatibility overall, so that isn't easy. I would prefer to figure out what is wrong with the current version of the autotools scripts.

So could you start from the beginning again?

First, delete the "configure" file as that might be out of date, and bootstrap-sh isn't always clear about whether the tools succeeded or not.

Then, run "./bootstrap-sh" and post the output of bootstrap-sh as it appears with the current SVN. It should complete successfully, but I would be interested in the output. If it fails to work, run "export AUTOMAKE=automake-1.6; export ACLOCAL=aclocal-1.6" and try again with that version.

Then, run the "./configure" If that fails, post (or attach) "config.log" file.

Then, if your configure succeeds, run "make" and post the lines where a GCC error occurs.

Edit: As to reverting, if you are talking about the latest change I just made to prevent it from using 1.5, that was a one-line change, but I could have made a stupid BASH error somewhere, so the output of running the script would be especially important.
In addition, if bootstrap-sh gives an error like "you don't have the right version installed", try it again with the "-x" option so it gives verbose output.

Thanks,
Patrick
Bootstrap is fine now and so is configure.
Make stops till here :-

-O2 -march=athlon64 -msse3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -c -o src/cmd/asteroid_generic.o `test -f 'src/cmd/asteroid_generic.cpp' || echo './'`src/cmd/asteroid_generic.cpp
./src/cmd/collection.h:62: error: extra qualification 'UnitCollection::UnitIterator::' on member 'operator='
./src/cmd/collection.h:97: error: extra qualification 'UnitCollection::ConstIterator::' on member 'operator='
./src/rendertext.h:26: error: extra qualification 'RText::' on member 'text_width'
./src/rendertext.h:27: error: extra qualification 'RText::' on member 'draw_text'
./src/rendertext.h:36: error: extra qualification 'RText::' on member 'ConsoleKeyboardI'
./src/rendertext.h:38: error: extra qualification 'RText::' on member 'conoutn'
./src/cmd/weapon_xml.h:35: error: extra qualification 'weapon_info::' on member 'weapon_info'
./src/cmd/script/flightgroup.h:87: error: extra qualification 'Flightgroup::' on member 'operator='
make[1]: *** [src/cmd/asteroid_generic.o] Error 1

Regards,
hoyanf
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I'm googling for this error...

The weird things are that I do not get those errors, and I also do not see any "extra qualification"s on those lines (if I go to those lines I just see the function it mentions, but not what it says is the "extra qualification").

But in the meantime it would help to know what version of gcc you have.
Run

gcc --version
Also, just to make sure, you are at the latest SVN, 11683. I'm just confused because the source lines it references don't make sense.
hoyanf
Explorer
Explorer

Post by hoyanf »

ace123 wrote:I'm googling for this error...

The weird things are that I do not get those errors, and I also do not see any "extra qualification"s on those lines (if I go to those lines I just see the function it mentions, but not what it says is the "extra qualification").

But in the meantime it would help to know what version of gcc you have.
Run

gcc --version
Also, just to make sure, you are at the latest SVN, 11683. I'm just confused because the source lines it references don't make sense.
My GCC Version :-
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20070214 ( (gdc 0.23, using dmd 1.007)) (Gentoo 4.1.2 p1.0.1)