[ubuntu] NO errors while ./configure BUT "make v.s.&quo

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
nathanwest99
Explorer
Explorer

[ubuntu] NO errors while ./configure BUT "make v.s.&quo

Post by nathanwest99 »

Hi,
while ./configure completed without errors,
i ran make vegastrike, which crashed after some time with:
andreas@oldman:~/VegaStrike/vegastrike$ make vegastrike
depbase=`echo src/aldrv/al_sound.o | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.o$||'`;\
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I./boost/1_33 -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/python2.5 -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I./src -pipe -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -pthread -MT src/aldrv/al_sound.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o src/aldrv/al_sound.o src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp &&\
mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp: In function »bool AUDLoadSoundFile(const char*, AUDSoundProperties*, bool)«:
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:448: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:447: Fehler: forward declaration of »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:466: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:447: Fehler: forward declaration of »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:467: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:479: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:480: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:481: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:483: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:494: Fehler: »ConvertFormat« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:505: Fehler: »ALbyte« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:505: Fehler: expected primary-expression before »)« token
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:505: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:505: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:505: Fehler: »blutLoadWAVMemory« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:507: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:510: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp: In function »int AUDBufferSound(const AUDSoundProperties*, bool)«:
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:515: Fehler: »ALuint« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:515: Fehler: expected `;' before »wavbuf«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:516: Fehler: »wavbuf« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:516: Fehler: »alGenBuffers« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:517: Fehler: »alGetError« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:518: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »const struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:447: Fehler: forward declaration of »const struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:518: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »const struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:447: Fehler: forward declaration of »const struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:518: Fehler: »alBufferData« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:519: Fehler: invalid use of undefined type »const struct AUDSoundProperties«
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:519: Fehler: »LoadSound« wurde in diesem Gültigkeitsbereich nicht definiert
make: *** [src/aldrv/al_sound.o] Fehler 1
andreas@oldman:~/VegaStrike/vegastrike$
I tried to google some segments from the error-messages, but no result. (Tried the equivalent english translation with no results either.)
Btw, sorry for my error-msgs being posted in german, hope you can guess whats going wrong anyway :-).

It would be great if someone knew a way to compile this thing, because I am really looking forward to a working ASAP-Device ;-).

wkr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nathanwest99
Explorer
Explorer

Post by nathanwest99 »

Update: No, (re)installing openAl and glut Developer-Packages didnt do the trick.

obsolete: _________________________________
Aw, sh*t, excuse me,
I've just noticed this thread over here:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=9488
and will try some things on my machine first :-).

If someones willing to help me before that, you are welcome anyway :-).

Post by Melodie »

Hello,

If you launch your command with 'LANG=C command' it should produce the messages in english. :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@nathanwest99 from what i can see you are still missing SDL_Mixer and it's dev pkg and Libvorbis and the dev pkg those are the ones that stand out ATM. and your first make should be a make all not just make vegastrike as there are 4 binaries needed of the 10 made theses are accountsever,vegasever,vegastrike and vssetup Luck

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
nathanwest99
Explorer
Explorer

Post by nathanwest99 »

loki1950 wrote:@nathanwest99 from what i can see you are still missing SDL_Mixer and it's dev pkg and Libvorbis and the dev pkg those are the ones that stand out ATM.
Wow, did not see that THAT clearly :-).
Anyway - ten minutes ago did a re-install on every packet mentioned here:
(posted by "Melodie": http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... p?id=1466= )
And ran ./configure and ./make vegastrike again.
This time - IT WORKED.
But I still think you were right, something was wrong with sdl-mixer.
and your first make should be a make all not just make vegastrike as there are 4 binaries needed of the 10 made theses are accountsever,vegasever,vegastrike and vssetup
I was just following the SVN-Tutorial! :-)
I will try running it now, and if something goes wrong I will try "make all".

THANKS!

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

update: Menu works! With music! Great! Soooo great!
will post more :-)
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

nathanwest99 wrote:if something goes wrong I will try "make all"
It looks to me that 'make' is acting as 'make all':

Code: Select all

$ make
make  all-am
Unless I didn't get il all yet ?
update: Menu works! With music! Great! Soooo great!
will post more :-)
Wao !!!

How did you do that ? I can't have music in any of the revisions untill now, neither Archlinux, nor Ubuntu ?

Would you mind giving details ?

(I think I will erase all and do a general checkout... ).
nathanwest99
Explorer
Explorer

Post by nathanwest99 »

I got the latest SVN,
tried "./configure" several times,
after this "make", "make vegastrike", after being told to do so: "make all", and I am shure I did a "make soundserver". But "make soundserver" failed, btw. But at this time, even "make all/vegastrike" failed.

Anyway, after installing all necessery packets, sound AND MUSIC played out of the box, right after starting vegastrike.
Perhaps you have to enable it in ./vssetup ?
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

Well, in fact I found out (whith the help of my boy-friend) that it has to be enabled... in the kernel ! :D
He had compiled it for me, to get it light, and it was lacking at least, diverse OSS options. Now with a generic kernel, it works in Archlinux too. Might be something to be followed.
(I don't compile with any 'make all' or 'make vegastrike' command, just 'make' after ./bootstrap.sh and ./configure as 'make' brings a 'make all' that you can read, just when it starts).
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

soundserver and SDL_mixer aren't used any more... perhaps I could remove them from the build script.

I've noticed running "make all-am" reduces memory usage while compiling because there's only one instance of make instead of two... but that's about the only difference.
Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Drakna »

i am having a problem with make soundserver. here's the output it gives me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@Drakna there is no rule to make the soundsever because it is no longer used :wink: you only need accouutsever,vegasever,vegastrike and vssetup so you should be good to go 8)

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Drakna »

ok i was right then or at least not wrong when i instead retired it yusing make all-am and then continued on with the rest of the install. still doesnt work though and heres the output

yoshi@ubuntu:~/vegastrike/data4.x$ ./vegastrike
Vega Strike
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in .
Using /home/yoshi/vegastrike/data4.x as data directory
Using .vegastrike as the home directory
Found MODDIR = /home/yoshi/vegastrike/data4.x/mods
USING HOMEDIR : /home/yoshi/.vegastrike As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : /home/yoshi/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : /home/yoshi/vegastrike/data4.x/vegastrike.config
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /home/yoshi/vegastrike/data4.x
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.05
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/home/yoshi/vegastrike/data4.x/modules/builtin",r"/home/yoshi/vegastrike/data4.x/modules",r"/home/yoshi/vegastrike/data4.x/bases"]
['/usr/lib/python25.zip', '/usr/lib/python2.5', '/usr/lib/python2.5/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload', '/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric', '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PIL', '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gst-0.10', '/var/lib/python-support/python2.5', '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0', '/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0', '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/home/yoshi/vegastrike/data4.x/modules/builtin', '/home/yoshi/vegastrike/data4.x/modules', '/home/yoshi/vegastrike/data4.x/bases']
Creating link /home/yoshi/.kde/socket-ubuntu.
can't create mcop directory
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Sorry Drakna but i do not know the cause of that error :(

Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Drakna »

maybe what i need is a reboot. but even in linux i hate rebooting. last time all i needed to make the configure work was a bit of an update and a reboot.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Creating link /home/yoshi/.kde/socket-ubuntu.
can't create mcop directory
That's a bug with KDE which I have gotten only when not running KDE... as to how it relates to Vega Strike, OpenAL (our sound library) tries to communicate with KDE to see if it can share sound devices, and the software is poorly designed so that it crashes the entire application if KDE is not available.

Anyway... The workaround is to look for a hidden file named ".openalrc" in your home folder, open it in a text editor like gedit, and look for the word "arts" and remove it from the list. This will make it avoid the KDE sound system.

If you indeed are using KDE while this is happening then there is a more serious configuration issue with your computer... If you are lucky you will have a soundcard with hardware mixing so you can avoid the bug by removing "arts" from your .openalrc as I described above.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Thanks for reminding me to fix this.

I'll look into the configure script... Neither SDL_mixer nor soundserver are used any more so it should be trivial to remove them.
Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Drakna »

cool thanks :) i am nt using kde. though i have it installed. i looked at it and found it just painful ot use
Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Drakna »

OH YEAH that worked . thanks for all the help in getting this installed