[MSVC 2005] Problem with debug build

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
odenter
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

[MSVC 2005] Problem with debug build

Post by odenter »

Hi I'm new here.

I checked out the source via subversion, the I opend the ..\vega-vc8\vegastrike.sln choose DEBUG Glut.
After that I want to start a debug session (F5) but I get an error because my heap is corrupted. :?

Any advice?

EDIT:
I found no config.log under ..\vegastrike

EDIT: second...
Now i started vegastrike.exe and not vegastrikeG.exe, look like its running now.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

A "heap" message means you have a memory problem...

Unfortunately you gave no indication as to the *exact* error message, or the contents of the Call Stack window (if it makes it into debug mode at all) where it stops.
(if you aren't sure about the mode, check the titlebar... it will say "[Design]" or "[Debug]")

In addition, Glut is poorly supported, and I recommend the plain "Debug" build (look for a drop-down menu at the top) to use the SDL. If you happen to get a different error with SDL please post that as well.

Thanks.

Also, don't worry about config.log. That is for users of other operating systems.

Yes, "vegastrike.exe" is the distributed executable (last updated a few days ago), not the one you compiled...
odenter
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by odenter »

ace123 wrote:A "heap" message means you have a memory problem...

Unfortunately you gave no indication as to the *exact* error message, or the contents of the Call Stack window (if it makes it into debug mode at all) where it stops.
(if you aren't sure about the mode, check the titlebar... it will say "[Design]" or "[Debug]")

In addition, Glut is poorly supported, and I recommend the plain "Debug" build (look for a drop-down menu at the top) to use the SDL. If you happen to get a different error with SDL please post that as well.
Yes thanks it look like this was the problem. I'm compiling now a DEBUG build not a DEBUG Glut build.

So I think than I can start a DEBUG session and look around the code, for best stating point. :)

Thanks. :)
ace123 wrote: Also, don't worry about config.log. That is for users of other operating systems.

Yes, "vegastrike.exe" is the distributed executable (last updated a few days ago), not the one you compiled...
After I looked on file creation time i saw it. :)

Is there a list of tasks which have to be done? I've read about something like a configmanager which stores config things like keymappings and so on?

EDIT:
Is there an os specific headerfile which is included in all other files?
My intention is to insert OutputDebugString function so I can see what's running in which order?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome odenter the OS specif stuff is handled buy the different build systems involved for each. As for the task list there is the general one in the wiki and each dev have a personal one i believe.have fun.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2