Trouble with compiling from SVN on Ubuntu

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

Trouble with compiling from SVN on Ubuntu

Post by bassmannate »

Ok, I've been reading about some of the cool stuff that's going on in svn so I thought I would try to compile it (never compiled from svn source on anything before) Got all the sources downloaded and got through the configure script after installing a few packages. Went to make and it went on for a while until this:

Code: Select all

src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp: In function ‘bool AUDLoadSoundFile(const char*, AUDSoundProperties*, bool)’:
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:448: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:447: error: forward declaration of ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:466: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:447: error: forward declaration of ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:467: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:479: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:480: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:481: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:483: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:494: error: ‘ConvertFormat’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:505: error: ‘ALbyte’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:505: error: expected primary-expression before ‘)’ token
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:505: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:505: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:505: error: ‘blutLoadWAVMemory’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:507: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:510: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp: In function ‘int AUDBufferSound(const AUDSoundProperties*, bool)’:
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:515: error: ‘ALuint’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:515: error: expected `;' before ‘wavbuf’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:516: error: ‘wavbuf’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:516: error: ‘alGenBuffers’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:517: error: ‘alGetError’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:518: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘const struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:447: error: forward declaration of ‘const struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:518: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘const struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:447: error: forward declaration of ‘const struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:518: error: ‘alBufferData’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:519: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘const struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:519: error: ‘LoadSound’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [src/aldrv/al_sound.o] Error 1
That's the last few lines it spit out at me. This is the version of SVN that I just got this morning. I'm using Ubuntu Edgy (7.04)
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

I did compile for this Ubuntu version too, and I had to install quite a bunch of development packages missing. Didn't you get any error messages or warnings during the configure ?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I think you need all the dev packages and probably for us to make sense of the error message the *beginning* in this case is much more importnat--because it probably tells you which files are missing causing this sort of "chain reaction" of errors"

the first error in the error log is much more important than the repeating chain reaction ones
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

I enclose here a txt file I did when I booted Ubuntu, while I was adding packages. The first ones concern mostly mesa, so if no error message or complains during configure occur concerning mesa, you can neglect it.

Otherwise, some packages can be named 'something-dev' or 'someting-devel' according to the distribution you use, while the error messages would only give the 'something' part of the name, for the dev package missing in your system, which can be confusing when you don't know it.

(I did the ./configure quite a few times until no more error message or missing package complain comes out, and did copy-paste the package installs from the Synaptic console all along the process, to have them at hand as a reminder).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bassmannate »

I'm not sure if the info. you're looking for is in the config.log or not. That second line that I posted was the first error message that I could find. I'm posting the config.log as well. I'll look through it to see if I can figure anything out while I'm waiting for a response.

Please note that while I've posted the config.log, I made it through the configure script after installing dev packages that it complained about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

can you attach *all* the errors from the build?

like just paste the whole thing

having users pick and choose the errors makes it really hard on the devs to actually find the root cause

seeing them all makes it easy
bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bassmannate »

Is there a way to find just the errors from when I ran make?
bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bassmannate »

Ok, I did a make clean and restarted from the beginning. Gonna see what happens. Is there a file that all the errors are recorded to when you run make?
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

bassmannate wrote:Is there a way to find just the errors from when I ran make?
No, he needs also what's *around* the error messages. :)
That's why he needs the whole content of the console, starting from

[bassmannate@ubuntu vegastrike]$make
bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bassmannate »

Is there a file that I can get THAT from? My console won't scroll all the way back to the start.
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

bassmannate wrote:My console won't scroll all the way back to the start.
Mine does (what console do you use ? tty ?)

What would you think about installing either xfce-terminal or gnome-terminal ? They have a bar besides, for scrolling, and ease the copy-paste needs. If you run under KDE, you might want to launch kconsole.
bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bassmannate »

I'm running gnome-terminal. I THOUGHT I had configured it to save WAY into the past but I guess it's not enough.

Edit: Ok, I just changed it to save back 5000 lines. I hope that's enough.
Last edited by bassmannate on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Yes, there is a way to send the output to a text file.

You can write ("pipe") it to a text file with
make >makeerr.txt 2>&1
(The 2>&1 means put errors in the same file.)

Then, attach that makeerr.txt to a forum post, or if you can't find it, just run
gedit makeerr.txt and copy/paste everything.
Keep in mind that the important error messages are sometimes classified as "warning", and the unimportant ones might be the ones labeled as error.

Also, you can change the settings of Gnome Terminal to make the scrollbar more useful:
Go to the Edit menu, select "Current Profile...", then click the "Scrolling" tab in the window that comes up, and increase those values... say 5000 lines and 5000 kilobytes.
bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bassmannate »

Wow. That's pretty cool. I'll have to remember that one. Waiting for it to compile again but this time it's putting its output in a file. Will reply soon.
bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bassmannate »

Ok, here we go. I'm putting my config.log as well as a log make's output up here.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

you need to install the OpenAL developer libraries.

'
bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bassmannate »

Oh. silly me. I thought I had installed those at some other point. I guess I was thinking about just openal itself.
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

bassmannate wrote:I guess I was thinking about just openal itself.
Hello,
It's in the list I attached a little before.

libopenal-dev
bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bassmannate »

Thanks! Got it working! This version is so cool! Everything seems to work MUCH better than in the last release!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Have fun and a reminder that save games are not transferable between versions :D

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2