[Packaging SVN for Archlinux] Not yet working.

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

ace123 wrote:Or you can update your vegastrike.config to revision 11648...
Klauss just committed a more reasonable frequency variable.
The sound is almost beautiful now ! :D

But... it starts lagging again, during gaming... :-(

I'm going to launch it whith gdb and I come back. In the meanwhile, if you'd wish some more file copying here... saying that in my /home directory (/home/user thus) :
ls .openalrc
ls: cannot access .openalrc: No such file or directory
No config file :
$ pacman -Ql openal
openal /usr/bin/openal-config
openal /usr/include/AL/al.h
openal /usr/include/AL/alc.h
openal /usr/include/AL/alext.h
openal /usr/lib/libopenal.a
openal /usr/lib/libopenal.so
openal /usr/lib/libopenal.so.0
openal /usr/lib/libopenal.so.0.0.0
openal /usr/lib/pkgconfig/openal.pc
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

What do you mean by "But... it starts lagging again, during gaming... Sad"?
Is this the Sound quality you are talking abut? Or the graphics framerate? Or something else?

The .openalrc is not there by default... that's why I said to create one if it didn't exist...
However, I believe the frequency setting was more likely to solve the problem than switching the soundsystem in .openalrc, and you say now that it works.

If sound quality is already good, don't fix what isn't broken... If you change OpenAL's soundsystem away from the default it could disable software mixing while vegastrike is open or things like that... but it could have also improved sound quality, depending on your hardware.
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

Hello,

I mean : sound is very good !

I mean : the game is slow again, with the mouse cursor dancing the jerk....

I did not launch it again yet, with gdb, I had some stuff to finish... :)

Coming back soon.
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

Here is bt full:
(gdb) bt full
#0 0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
No symbol table info available.
#1 0x4061da2c in sched_yield () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2 0x4015c095 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
#3 0x40add6c7 in _nv000093gl () from /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
#4 0x09a762d0 in ?? ()
#5 0x09abe420 in ?? ()
#6 0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb)
and here is a screenshot to show where I can notice without any possible doubt that the game is slow again, same as before when I didin't have the sound.

I just can't get the cursor visible -at the very left of the screen at the moment the shot was done- to stay quietly over one of the buttons I'd like to select, as it goes to and fro freely without any control ! :-(
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

So is it only slow when you have Shift-M or is it always slow? can you hit "6" and "8" camera modes and see if you can use s,f,z,q to look around at different objects.

Also, what Graphics Card do you have? Do you have the proper drivers?

What settings do you have right now?
I would be interested in the effects of Screen Resolution, Shaders, and Detail Level on the graphics when you run vssetup (you need to symlink/run it from the "data4.x" directory at the moment).
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

Hello,

No time to try more today, but here a ./vssetup shot.

The video details is on extreme. :oops:
and it says 'no mouse' ... :?:
Also, what Graphics Card do you have? Do you have the proper drivers?
The same as the few preceeding days, nVidia NV34 GeForce FX 5500
with the correct driver compiled the right way against the headers. :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Those are the defaults in the setup utility change them to what you first :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

loki1950 wrote:Those are the defaults in the setup utility change them to what you first :wink:
Hello,

What do you mean by saying "to what you first" ?

I notice the start is still very long, with theses hundreds files loading, and the landing to a station is very long too.

I hope something will be arranged to make theses events a little faster, cause it's not long enought to go away make a coffee, but too long not to notice... :D
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Run the setup utility and change the defaults to what you normally use save then run the main program.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

loki1950 wrote:Run the setup utility and change the defaults to what you normally use save then run the main program.
Hello, I'm back at my old card : ATI Radeon 9200 SE. I'll see with some while if I can take time for a try again. :)

Thanks for all, untill soon.
Wesley
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Wesley »

man, so i am sitting here, hacking on the keyboard to get a working package for the svn, just to see that someone already does this :/

could you share your PKGBUILD (or the syntax you use to create the package) for other users too?

im stuck at the packing point, compiling without any problems, only to see that he dont installs the data and refuses do install the "objconv" folder anywhere else then in DESTDIR/usr.
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

Hi Wesley,

I did post about it on Archlinux.fr forum. I realised it's very complex, even some very advanced men (I'm not that an advanced woman) could not get it to function.

So I decided I'd wait for the stable release, and in the meanwhile launch it once a while from my local svn directory.

You might have succeeded with the help of the last version pkgbuild wain did, but it desapeared in cyberspace after on month on the pastebin.

You might start with the one which is in this post, but have to arrange the dependencies, and desktop file.

I could try to ask him if he kept a copy somewhere. :)

Have fun !

/Edit : If you meet with success, let's know about it. ;)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

And a welcome aboard Wesley have fun.

Wesley
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Wesley »

thank you loki, i will enjoy my choice, if i ever get the unmodified game to run :P

melodie:
i am sorry but i need to tell you my french is somewhat... nonexistant^^
as far as i can see you do exactly what i do, checkout data and appsource, bootstrap and configure && make.
i would be glad if you could translate parts of the post for me wich explaines what i maybe do wrong, since as far as i can see it packs correctly for you.
here is mine (after svn checkout)

Code: Select all

#making
    cd vegastrike
    ./bootstrap-sh
    ./configure --with-png-inc=/usr/include/libpng12 --with-data-dir=$startdir/src/data4.x --disable-gtk --prefix=/usr datadir=/usr/share
    make vegastrike
    make soundserver
    make install DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg
this is from the Wiki entry about compiling a SVN rev.
Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

Really I hardly understand your question.

I suggest you don't invoque 'making' in root or any of theses other commands. Only 'make install' needs to be root !

Did you compile it successfully with the usual ./bootstrap && ./configure && make ?

Did you happen to lounch it without any error from within the cvs directory ?

If yes, you can start from the pkgbuild I present in the post I linked to (no need to read french to find it in the post and recognise it as a PKGBUILD) add the missing dependancies, try it and keep the error messages to show to people on the forums ? Here and the english Archlinux forum would be just fine ! :D

I posted again on the Archlinux.fr forum to ask wain if he has a copy of the last corrections he made for this pkgbuild in project.

I'll come back to tell if so.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

One problem i see right off the soundserver is no longer needed :wink: and without gtk support you get no setup utility and you may want to make vegaserver for those that wish to play at hosting multi-player but i guess your first priority is a working package 8)

Wesley
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Wesley »

it is not because of the compiltion at all.
i simply get all the BINARY files installed, but not the datafiles and out of your build i just see a simple make install command.
do you install the data files in a own PKGBUILD?
i searched the wiki for a hint how to compile the data files (since they do have own makefiles in the directorys) but found nothing.

so, should i MAYBE compile the data4.x first, install it, use on vegastrike the -with-data-dir=/usr/share/vegastrike (the path where i would install the data4.x files)?
another problem is that he only installs the objconv files to PREFIX/objconf instead of maybe PREFIX/DATADIR/vegastrike/objconv

btw, i startet it out of the !svn! directory ( :P ) and need to say that this game really really deserves a place in the repository from ArchLinux^^

EDIT
ok loki, first i thought setup utily is ment like "compress everything into a .run package for later install"
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

the data files just have to be copied to your install path and the binaries can stay in /usr/bin the object converters are mostly not used with the exception of mesher which builds our mesh format out of obj mtl format files and back to obj and mtl from bfxm there are a few other things it does but only of use if you wish to play with the models and textures ie. adding bump maps 8) the setup utility is just that till we have in game setting for all the options :wink: which may be a way off.
"compress everything into a .run package for later install"
that's the makeloki script :wink:

Wesley
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Wesley »

still, having the objconv files in /usr isnt the best option.
is it save to copy the folder to, lets say "/usr/share/vegastrike"?

oh, btw: bumpmaps? naisch^^
i cant make them but i would enjoy them if they where made^^

i try it now with this:

Code: Select all

#making
    cd vegastrike
    ./bootstrap-sh
    ./configure --with-png-inc=/usr/include/libpng12 --with-data-dir=/usr/share/vegastrike --prefix=/usr datadir=/usr/share
    make
    make install DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg

#install the datafiles
    mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/share/vegastrike
    mv -r $startdir/src/data4.x/* $startdir/pkg/usr/share/vegastrike/
    #we move because i think the directory is to big to copy it (takes about 3,4GB after copying)
i do hope it works, it actually still runs.
melodie:
i forgot to ask you: why root? i make nothing with su or sudo, i simply install it to DESTDIR where AUR can pack it.

Loki:
also i would like to know how make all is triggered in the data4.x makefiles since i see fnuctions in there to compress the data into pk3 files
Last edited by Wesley on Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Before moving it you might want to remove the subversion db files should shrink that 3.4Gb to something a bit more manageable they are hidden files in every folder so a -R will be needed. have a look with your file manager set to see hidden files should give an idea on how to construct your script.

Melodie
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Melodie »

Wesley wrote: melodie:
i forgot to ask you: why root? i make nothing with su or sudo, i simply install it to DESTDIR where AUR can pack it.
Forget about it. I didn't see it was an extract of pkgbuild and thought you were in a console.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That compression is probably triggered by the makeloki script as part of it's making the binary installer the Loki games installer the same one that Nvidia and Unreal Tournament use not my work despite the name :wink:

Wesley
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Wesley »

first of all: stripping so many .svn dirs out of it is simply impossible without a script for it.(and i don't have an idea how to make this since sed doesn't seems to work without files (like ls -AR data4.x | grep .svn).

also it would be better (imho) to just pack the datafiles to pk3 (like i mentioned above) and to copy them over to the share directory.
but for that job a filelist would be nice so one could know which files are realy needed.(and ofcourse a clue how to pack the files in the first place :roll: )

i still would like to know how to set a different installpath for objconv(you told me that except for meshes they are not needed for non-devel porposes, so could i simply put meshes into /usr/bin and delete the remaining objconv?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

subversion has a function for stripping out the db export it takes a while though check it's man page for usage i use kdesvn as a GUI for subversion handy as for using pk3 the textures are already in dds format for faster loading and might confuse the engine as it does not expect to find pk3s at all.
and yes it might be good to drop all the objconv but mesher as it is strictly cmd line putting it in the general path is good.

Wesley
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Wesley »

since i cant use a gui with PKGBUILD (since it is ment as an automated package script without user input).
man svn or svn help doesnt tells me usefull stuff, there is no svn strip option...^^

still, i would like to know wich file endings i could delete out of the data4.x folder, like, wich isnt needed anymore for compiling or stuff like that