Compiling debendencies on Windows w VC7.1

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
adelle
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Compiling debendencies on Windows w VC7.1

Post by adelle »

I checked out the source from SVN and tried building it. Pretty much everything built OK except for a few sub-projects that are listed in the wiki as "no longer used" or "not working yet", so woohoo!

Only trouble is, I can't get the game to start. Initial symptoms match those in this thread:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=8497

So I created the manifest file. Now I seem to be getting slightly further, (I get to see the splash screen and wait for stuff to load) but I am now getting an access violation in base_xml.cpp, line 92, which happens to be a call to Python::reseterrors().

This may be due to my odd-ball configuration (eg, non-standard version of msvcrt). Trouble is, need my VC configuration to stay how it is for other things.

I may be going wiki-blind, but is there some document that will tell me how to build all the dependencies from source? Alternatively, is anyone else experiencing the problem reported above?

Adelle.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

That crash might indicate that one of the python scripts has an error.

Before starting the game again, you should look in the "stderr.txt" file in the "bin" directory (or the working path of the program) which should have an error near the end of the file of the form:

Code: Select all

Backtrace (most recent call last):
    func() in file1.py, line 39:
        code
    func2() in file2.py, line 112:
        code
SomethingError: message
if you can't find something like that, just open up both stderr.txt and stdout.txt and paste the last 20 or so lines in the file.