Fedora Core 6 - Glut 3.7 or higher not found,

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
RalfG
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RalfG »

Ok, I have a question about the attached graphic I copied from the manual:

In the graphic there are three green numbers above the thwo green circels. I have to admit that the manual, as well as the undocumented behavious of the game on my system leaves me confused as to what exactly those three numbers do.

So, on the left there is a "302" (or so) on top and an "1" below, while there is a "502" on the right.

So which number is which : Current speed, set speed etc?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

You refer to your current speed measurements, above the radar display & to each side of your energy display.

Upper Right = current governor setting -- the speed that you want to be going.
Usually the governor setting is your maximum combat speed. The most likely reasons for it to be other than that are because you have flight mode engaged or have some reason to fear a possible collision.

Upper Left = the speed you are actually going

Lower Left = SPEC multiple.
Your SPEC multiple will always be 1 if the SPEC drive is not engaged. When in use, the SPEC number is multiplied by the current speed to give your actual quantity of motion in your direction of travel.

Your question would better have been posted in "User Help" than in "Compiling Problems"
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
RalfG
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RalfG »

Thanks! :)

I posted it here because I can't attach files in User Help
RalfG
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RalfG »

I'm posting here again, so that I can attach the VS config file
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wirser
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by wirser »

in ./vegastrike run

Code: Select all

make clean
sh ./bootstrap-sh
./configure 
make
that should be all you need
I haven't even used make soundserver latley
but if dan says so I won't argue
Last edited by wirser on Sun May 13, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if current_situation=fact and if current_situation=faith
then current_forcast = excitement
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

hehehe, I just do it that way (two makes) because if you do teh single one like you described you get the server binaries being made too... my way saves a little bit of time if your machine is a bit older :-)

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

HI there, I've been having a similar problem to this only I've tried all the solutions mentioned here and none of them has worked. Running ./configure complains that "GLUT library not found or too old version...." but after an hour installing Glut3.7, as well as Xi and Xmu dev libraries, there's been no improvement. I'm running the latest release of Debian (etch) and I can't find anymore library packages to try... If anyone could help I'd be grateful :)

Edit: To save time, the relevant part of config.log seems to be

configure:13187: checking for glut32 library
configure:13217: g++ -o conftest   -L/usr/X11R6/lib  conftest.cpp   -lutil -L/usr/lib -lSDL  -lGL  -lGLU  -lglut32 -lXi -lXmu >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lglut32
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:13223: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Odd, I'm running etch as well.
I do remember having the configure script complain about missing GLUT when it was really missing something else (Xmu/Xi). The solution I found was to check config.log to find the real culprit, but it looks like you've already done that.

Perhaps this doesn't matter, but what version of autotools are you using?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You pasted glut32 which is for windows. Of course that didn't work.
configure:13187: checking for glut library
configure:13217: g++ -o conftest -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib conftest.cpp -lutil -L/usr/lib -lSDL -lGL -lGLU -lglut -lXi -lXmu >&5
/usr/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to `glXBindChannelToWindowSGIX'
/usr/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to `glXQueryChannelDeltasSGIX'
/usr/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to `glXChannelRectSyncSGIX'
/usr/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to `glXChannelRectSGIX'
/usr/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to `glXQueryChannelRectSGIX'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:13223: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
<snip>
| int
| main ()
| {
|
| ;
| return 0;
| }
configure:13239: result: no
configure:13249: error: GLUT library not found or too old version. 3.7 (beta) or later required.
Don't see too much about these errors... though it is probably a library or header problem.
I would recommend re-installing your video card drivers (if you are using nvidia, download the latest drivers).

It sounds like the headers might be too old.

The other possibility is that they are too new. In that case, you can install a different version, or if your video car drivers replaced them, you can try apt-get --reinstall install glut

Anyway, a lot of possibilities here. Probably some library on your system is too old or too new.
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

Hi there, thanks for ideas, my autotools-dev package version is 20060702.1, which is
automake 1.9.6,
autoconf 2.6.1 and
autoheader 2.6.1
and as I'm running an old Compaq Armada I haven't really looked at graphics drivers (its an Ati Rage mobility chipset I think, so has no acceleration worth mentioning). I tried reinstalling freeglut3 but are there any other specific packages that would do? Glut and Glut32 don't seem to be packages in themselves, is there any way that having too many packages installed could prevent one being recognised?

I do remember having to install autotools or something to get aclocal to work for bootstrap-sh...
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Actually yeah, I recall trying lots of different glut/freeglut packages. I think a lot of those (libglut-dev, etc.) are actually dummy packages for freeglut. Or something like that. Argh.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Those functions should be in your libGL.so

So you probably have an old version of openGL (possibily the old Rage Mobility replaced a newer version of OpenGL with an old one that no longer has those extensions).

Not sure what to say... you could to to find a standard GL library (I ran etch and didn't have any problems with the GLUT library... but I was using a different OpenGL version.)

If all your packages are standard Debian installs (libGL and freeglut), this is a bug that you should direct to Debian, since it is a problem with your glut or GL libs.
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

Hi again, sorry for my inexperience, but I've tried reinstalling, completely removing and again installing various Glut and openGL related packages, and though I'm sure I've reinstalled all of them now, ./configure now reports that no GL, MesaGL or opengl32 librariescan be found, and no longer gets as far as checking for Libglut 3.7.

Is there any way to put this right?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL

That pretty clearly indicates that there is no libGL.so or libGL.a file installed in /usr/lib

Check what GL files are there:

ls -l /usr/lib/libGL.*
Make sure you also have opengl-dev packages installed. The standard library packages usually make files like libGL.so.X and .so.X.X.X while the -dev package will make the libGL.so symbolic link that gcc/ld looks for.
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

Okay, got it all working now, I'd renamed things for testing purposes and then forgot to put them all back... In the end I just removed pretty much all the Glut packages and then reinstalled Freeglut3-dev and a few others. Barely runs on my 500 Mhz system with 128MB RAM though, will more memory fix the problem or is it not worth trying?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@Xit great that you got it working and the app is a memory hog :wink: all those textures to load so they can be shuffled to the GPU you can try experimenting with the swap and memory settings in the config file with the setup utility apart from that new memory always helps 8) your other apps should also run better.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2