Compiling SVN under mac osx 10.4

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Compiling SVN under mac osx 10.4

Post by bgaskey »

i downloaded the newest svn and was trying to run configure, but it couldnt find gl libraries. What options do i need to specify? running OSX 10.4.8 on iMac G5. Downloaded all the dependencies and have been trying random stuff for liek 4 hours now.
btw this is my first post on forums here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peter
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Compiling SVN under mac osx 10.4

Post by peter »

bgaskey wrote:i downloaded the newest svn and was trying to run configure, but it couldnt find gl libraries. What options do i need to specify? running OSX 10.4.8 on iMac G5. Downloaded all the dependencies and have been trying random stuff for liek 4 hours now.
btw this is my first post on forums here!
Looks like configure isn't finding libGL.so, or libopengl32.so. (gcc -lGL tries to link with libGL.so, BTW.) If you have those libraries, but they're in some directory configure doesn't think of looking in, you may have to set some environment variables (-L/usr/local/lib ...). ./configure --help for how to do it.

Try googling around for how to compile openGL progs on MacOS X. That'll probably tell you where to find a libGL.
"The gods confound the man who first found out how to distinguish the hours!
Confound him, too, who in this place set up a sundial, to cut and hack my day so wretchedly into small pieces!" -- Plautus, 200 BC
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

See also:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=8132

I have had continuing troubles with SVN on a Mac mostly because Apple puts all the files in unexpected places.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Peter: I found libGL files but there is no .so the only extensions are .dylib and .a and i dont know if i can/should point the configure to them. They are locate in /Usr/X11R6/lib. I searched the whole hard drive from the terminal and there is only 3 .so files (not including GL or opengl32 :( ).
peter
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by peter »

bgaskey wrote:Peter: I found libGL files but there is no .so the only extensions are .dylib and .a and i dont know if i can/should point the configure to them. They are locate in /Usr/X11R6/lib. I searched the whole hard drive from the terminal and there is only 3 .so files (not including GL or opengl32 :( ).
Ok, those are probably equivalent to .so. .so is a "shared object" (shared library, equivalent to Windows DLL, in case that helps.) Probably the linker can read the .dylib file, and that will tell is where to find the actual shared object. (which might be called .so.versionnumber).

.a is a static library, so even if the compiler can't find a dynamic lib, it'll still link.

/usr/X11R6/lib (err, /Usr...) is a very likely place to find graphics libraries, so that's promising. Make sure it's included in the search path (i.e. there's a -L/Usr/X11R6/lib in there somewhere.)

Does OSX really use capital-U /Usr? :roll: At least with Fink it's actually fairly serviceable as a Unix.
Confound him, too, who in this place set up a sundial, to cut and hack my day so wretchedly into small pieces!" -- Plautus, 200 BC
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

bgaskey wrote:They are locate in /Usr/X11R6/lib.
That is where Apple puts them in 10.3 & 10.4 (but not in 10.2 & 10.5).
See the other thread for ace123's advice to deal with this.
peter wrote: Ok, those are probably equivalent to .so. .so is a "shared object"
".so" & ".a" appear to be interchangeable from the viewpoint of the config script.
/usr/X11R6/lib (err, /Usr...) is a very likely place to find graphics libraries, so that's promising.
Not really -- they have absolutely nothing to do with X11. However, that *IS* where Apple put them.
Make sure it's included in the search path (i.e. there's a -L/Usr/X11R6/lib in there somewhere.)
This will not resolve the problem. The configure script does not read PATH.
Does OSX really use capital-U /Usr?
No. OS X inherited the usual file tree from the BSD kernel; except where Apple moves things to strange places to make it hard to use the unix layer.
peter
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by peter »

Shissui wrote:
/usr/X11R6/lib (err, /Usr...) is a very likely place to find graphics libraries, so that's promising.
Not really -- they have absolutely nothing to do with X11. However, that *IS* where Apple put them.
True, but vendors like Apple and Sun like to put other libraries in with the X11 stuff. libGL can't do any openGL except GLX, right? So it does need X11. I know xorg/xfree86 is a separate project from mesa or any other libGL. Anyway, I won't argue that libGL belongs in /usr/X11R6, but there are semi-coherent arguments for it. :P
Make sure it's included in the search path (i.e. there's a -L/Usr/X11R6/lib in there somewhere.)
This will not resolve the problem. The configure script does not read PATH.
Right, I should clarify that I don't mean $PATH, I mean the paths that configure will tell the compiler to search for libraries. i.e. adding stuff to LDFLAGS and CFLAGS. But the configure script can do that more easily:
./configure --with-gl-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-gl-inc=/usr/X11R6/include
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

peter wrote:Anyway, I won't argue that libGL belongs in /usr/X11R6, but there are semi-coherent arguments for it. :P
However, in 10.2, they were in /usr/include & they will be returning to /usr/include in 10.5. So, for any form of open source software, this means there must be support for both locations for backward compatibility.

*THAT* however, is a whine for another day.
Right, I should clarify that I don't mean $PATH, I mean the paths that configure will tell the compiler to search for libraries. i.e. adding stuff to LDFLAGS and CFLAGS. But the configure script can do that more easily:
./configure --with-gl-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-gl-inc=/usr/X11R6/include
I have also discovered that it needs "--with-python-libs=/sw/lib/python2.3/config" & "--with-expat-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib" & "--with-expat-inc=/usr/X11R6/include"

With those additional includes, it should bring bgaskey up to the same line where configure currently crashes on my machine -- (not) looking for the png libraries in either /sw/include/ or /sw/lib/.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Thanks for the tips, but I still get the same error. The configure still gets "configure: error: Cannot find GL library" with all of these includes. Anything else that could be causing it to fail at this point?
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

From a Terminal window, as an admin privilege user, try the command:

Code: Select all

sudo find / | grep libGL
You should get something of the form:
stdout wrote: !3=/usr/lib[admin]> sudo find / | grep libGL
Password:
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib
<< snip: related entries >>
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.2.dylib
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.2.dylib
<< snip related entries >>
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.2.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGLw.a
If this is not the case, then you need to re-install XCode -- be sure to include the 10.3 & 10.4 SDK modules. If your "find" looks like mine (without the snipping), then run the configure script again & paste the last 20 lines of the Terminal output back here.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

It ran all the way through. :) For Shissui this should get it to find png and jpeg libs:

./configure --with-gl-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-gl-inc=/usr/X11R6/include/GL --with-python-libs=/sw/lib/python2.3/config --with-expat-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-expat-inc=/usr/X11R6/include --with-png-libs=/sw/lib --with-png-inc=/sw/include/libpng12 --enable-macosx-bundle --with-jpeg-libs=/sw/lib --with-jpeg-inc=/sw/include
the script still ends with a page or so of errors tho.
This is the end of the terminal output.
checking for OGRE... Package OGRE was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `OGRE.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'OGRE' found
no
checking for CEGUI... Package CEGUI was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `CEGUI.pc'
No package 'CEGUI' found
no
checking for CEGUI_OPENGL... Package CEGUI-OPENGL was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `CEGUI-OPENGL.pc'
No package 'CEGUI-OPENGL' found
no
checking for CEGUI_OGRE... Package CEGUI-OGRE was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `CEGUI-OGRE.pc'
No package 'CEGUI-OGRE' found
no
checking for gtk-config... no
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
configure: WARNING: GTK Was not found. VSSETUP will not be built.
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating src/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: executing depfiles commands
Is any of that bad?? How can i add GTK and the other stuff to the search path?
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

Those are all warnings -- not critical. You should now be ready for the compile proper:

make vegastrike
make soundserver
make install
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Tried the compile. It failed with:
/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -logg
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [vegastrike] Error 1
after several minutes and like a million pages of ... stuff.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

You are missing the shared sound libraries -- go back to "configure" & add
"--with-vorbis-libs=/sw/lib/ --with-vorbis-inc=/sw/include/"

Probably also worth checking that they are there first.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I found and OGG on fink and got it. makefile ran, as did make soundserver and make install.

when i ran the binary, the game started and ran, but there were like a million errors :? . I couldnt seem to find a lot of the image files. also, it started in 800x600 resolution and i cant find a setup program to fix that.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@bgaskey congratulations you got it those errors about missing images is normal ATM as for no setup program no GTK no setup you will have to edit vegastrike.config manually the file is XML and the active one is in your home folder.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Thanks everyone. I configured it to see my mouse, aand everything works. I really like some of the changes in the SVN. Should be fun :) .
dmtheorist
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Another svn MacOS newbie

Post by dmtheorist »

I know this thread has been inactive for a while, but I appear to be having the same problem as bgaskey was...I can't seem to convince ./configure that I really do have libGL.a. When I follow Shissui's advice:
Shissui wrote:From a Terminal window, as an admin privilege user, try the command:

sudo find / | grep libGL
You should get something of the form....
I do indeed get the same output mentioned, leading me to believe that Xcode has been properly installed. Here's what I'm trying:

./configure --with-gl-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-gl-inc=/usr/X11R6/include/GL --with-python-libs=/sw/lib/python2.3/config --with-expat-libs=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-expat-inc=/usr/X11R6/include --with-png-libs=/sw/lib --with-png-inc=/sw/include/libpng12 --enable-macosx-bundle --with-jpeg-libs=/sw/lib --with-jpeg-inc=/sw/include --with-sdl-config=/sw/bin
and here's the last several lines of what I'm getting:
/sw/lib/python2.4/config/libpython2.4.a yes
checking for sdl-config... /sw//bin/sdl-config
checking for SDL - version >= 1.0.1... yes
checking for SDL_JoystickOpen... no
*** This version of SDL doesn't have joystick support.
*** Configuring without joystick support.
Using SDL Windowing System
checking for Mix_OpenAudio in -lSDL_mixer... no
*** SDL_mixer not found. Configuring without audio support.
checking for GL library... no
checking for GL library (with pthreads)... no
checking for MesaGL library... no
checking for MesaGL library (with pthreads)... no
checking for opengl32 library... no
checking for opengl32 library (with pthreads)... no
configure: error: Cannot find GL library
Any suggestions?
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Look at the config.log file produced by the configure script. It will tell you exactly what library is missing- the script itself is notoriously unreliable in reporting this. (I was missing libxi but it told me I was missing GLUT.)
dmtheorist
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by dmtheorist »

I also wonder if there's something screwy going on with my configure.ac...Do I need to edit/comment something out/in?

if test "x$is_macosx" = "xyes" ; then
	CXXFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4usdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I$PYTHON_INCPATH "
	CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -Wno-long-double"
    dnl GL_CPPFLAGS="$GL_CPPFLAGS -framework OpenGL"
    dnl GLUT_CPPFLAGS="$GLUT_CPPFLAGS -framework GLUT"
	VS_LIBS="$VS_LIBS -F/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks  -framework OpenGL -framework GLUT -framework CoreAudio"
    with_gl_inc=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes
    with_gl_libs=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Libraries
    with_al_inc="/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/Headers -I/sw/include"
    with_al_libs="/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/ -L/sw/lib"
#    PYTHON_LDOPTS="-L/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework"
#    with_python_inc="/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Headers"
    VS_LIBS="$VS_LIBS -lobjc -L$PYTHON_LIBPATH "
else
    VS_LIBS="$VS_LIBS -lutil"
fi
Note that I've edited out all references to SDKs other than MacOSX10.4u.sdk (I should mention this is on an Intel Mac running OSX 10.4.10)...although, my config.log includes lines like
configure:11126: checking for GL library
configure:11145: g++ -o conftest -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Libraries/CIncludes -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I -Wno-long-double -L/sw/lib conftest.cc -F/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks -framework OpenGL -framework GLUT -framework CoreAudio -lobjc -L -L/sw/lib -lSDLmain -lSDL -Wl,-framework,Cocoa -L/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Libraries -lGL >&5
/usr/bin/ld: -L: directory name missing
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:11151: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
Where did that reference to MacOSX10.2.8sdk come from? Or is this an unrelated issue (I'm not much of a programmer myself, so it might just be that I'm out of my element here)?
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Intel mac... that may be the problem. I think I read something about Apple or Xcode not providing the proper GL libraries or something...

Try a forums search, also see: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=8132
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Well from the script, I see that that spare "-L" is coming from the python library.

Not really sure how to solve that.. It defaults to 2.4... if your mac is new, it might have 2.5, so you might need --with-python-version=2.5.

One thing for you to check is where on your system you have libpython.