VC8: afxres.h not found and bad path for soundserver.exe

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
dajt
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

VC8: afxres.h not found and bad path for soundserver.exe

Post by dajt »

Hi,

I've just checked out rev 10877 from svn and built it. I encountered two problems:

1. When building Resources.rc afxres.h could not be found. I googled and found the following page http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/errors.html which suggests replacing references to afxres.h with winres.h, but that didn't exist in my VC8 installation either. I had a look at one of the versions in my VC6 installation and it looked harmless so put that into my VC8 includes folder and the problem went away.

2. When building soundserver.exe the output path was set to ../../data4.x/bin/soundserver.exe, and that gave an error that it couldn't create the output or something. Not sure what the problem is here. I gave it a different output path so it could just create the exe somewhere else and get on with it.

Aside from those two problems it was all pretty painless.

I have seen the afxres.h problem with other projects too, so that isn't VS specific.

Anyone else have those problems? My installation of VC8 is completely standard as far as I can tell, with the SDK and DirectX stuff set up after installation because I was using it for some other projects I was building.
Regards,
David Taylor.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You are not able to build resources in VC8 Express AFAIK (or at least I wasn't able to). I would recommend deleting "resources.rc" from the project files, as I don't think VC8-built executables are very releasable.

I thought that it was that way from subversion actually.

By the way, last I checked, VS still compiles in VC6. You might want to try that too if VC8 doesn't work.
dajt
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by dajt »

It compiles fine in VC8. My message was to help other people get it working if they were having trouble.

VC8 can compile resources okay as long as the include files can be found. They don't seem to be included in the free VC8 distribution.

But removing it from svn and the project would be the thing to do if it isn't actually used!
Regards,
David Taylor.