SVN's bootstrap-sh trouble with automake

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
Tehem
Explorer
Explorer

SVN's bootstrap-sh trouble with automake

Post by Tehem »

I'm running bootstrap-sh as read in the HowTo and it keeps telling me

Code: Select all

Running automake
Makefile.am: installing `./INSTALL'
Makefile.am: required file `./NEWS' not found
Makefile.am: required file `./README' not found
Makefile.am: required file `./AUTHORS' not found
An error occurred while running the autotools.  Please correct.
What did i do wrong ?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

welcome Tehem check the root folder of your repository(where you put the downloaded svn)the files that are mentioned in your errs should be there if not you might need to ckeck out the Module agian.if you have further problems please post again and again :wink: till the problem is no more :D

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Tehem
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Tehem »

Well, i'm going to explain myself : i get the error though the files are there. I can vi them and everything looks alright, but i still can't get the automake run right. I tried to check if the install wasn't looking for executables (./*), but couldn't find that out, and i wouldn't think this to be possible.

Next solution is to skip, but a "make" in the vegastrike subdir doesn't know what to make (and that may be) because the ./configure returns a

config.status: error: cannot find input file: Makefile.in
after everything was checked alright.

So i thought about cleaning first things first and i have this bootstrap error dealt with. It may be a problem on aclocal/autoheader/autoconf/automake versions and dependencies but i think they are up and running well after all the updating i did.

I played the non-SVN version and was pleased with it, so i'm eager to check the SVN one.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

thx for the further info Tehem i have never had a problem with the bootstrap so lets leave this an open problem as i'am just the first set of eyes :wink: the bootstrap calls automake to make the makefile.in it should also catch version mismatcthes in your make tool chain agian i have no clue myself.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Tehem
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Tehem »

further infos...

- automake and aclocal are the same version (1.9.6, 1.5.0 required), autoheader and autoconf are the same version (2.59).

- running bootstrap-sh first gives a two warnings running aclocal (they didn't show up before)

/usr/share/aclocal/smpeg.m4:13: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_SMPEG
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/glib.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GLIB
- then it gives the error running automake/Makefile.am

Running automake
An error occurred while running the autotools.  Please correct.
- for info, running "automake" alone gives

Makefile.am: required file `./INSTALL' not found
- i'm in directory vegastrike/vegastrike, containing :

acctserver.ico  cgi-accountserver  copying        icon2.ico          Makefile.am        Resources.aps   undos.pl
acinclude.auld  ChangeLog          cursor1.cur    icon3.ico          makerelease.bash   Resources.rc    vc98
aclocal.auld    config.guess       cvsroot        icon4.ico          missing            Resources.RES   VegaStrikeOSXApp.pbproj
aclocal.m4      config.h.in        CYGWIN.NOTES   install            news               saveinterface   VegaStrikeOSX.icns
authors         config.log         depcomp        install-sh         objconv            src             vegastrike.spec
autom4te.cache  config.status      DOCUMENTATION  intel-mac-conf.sh  readme             stringsort.cpp
boost           config.sub         dossify.pl     launcher           README.MACOSX.rtf  ToDo.txt
bootstrap-sh    configure          doxygenConfig  license.txt        README.sgi         tools
buildrpm        configure.ac       English.lproj  m4scripts          resource.h         ts.ico
(the *.auld files are backup files)

Hope this can help.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

It seems you are indeed missing those files.
But they're there in SVN.
did you try svn update?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Tehem
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Tehem »

gives me that :

$ svn update
Restored 'acinclude.m4'
At revision 10772.
(the acinclude.m4 i tried to remove as a proof aclocal built the *.m4 files ; i did this at the end of the series of tests and it has no consequence)

I can't understand this :
It seems you are indeed missing those files
. I can read them in the directory. Should they be in another directory ? I svnupdated vssetup and data4.x also though they must be unrelated. To no avail.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

you can read them but it looks like ls does not show them is it possiable that the perrmmisions are wrong just a thought.

EDIT: i just noticed the files in question are all named in lower case the script is looking for UPPER case file names in my copy they are upper case try to remane them.

Tehem
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Tehem »

is it possiable that the perrmmisions are wrong
everything is user'd. But i tried things as root and it didn't change anything. At the least, the Makefile.am could *read* the files, it hasn't to modify them.
i just noticed the files in question are all named in lower case the script is looking for UPPER case file names in my copy they are upper case try to remane them.
it just seems this is not case-sensitive. I tried first to rename the files but i was replied

$ mv news NEWS
mv: `news' and `NEWS' are the same file
I also tried to change the names in the Makefile.am (lines 104, 107, 113) and put them in lowercase[edited], but it didn't change anything.

I tried many a thing before asking here, but i do hope somebody is going to think about the simple move that has eluded me all the time.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ehm... are you using an ext filesystem, or fat?
FAT is indeed case-insensitive, and that may indeed be the problem. I know of at least one program that gets mixed up with case problems in FAT filesystems and won't always open the file (it has something to do with either just opening it, in which case casing does not matter, or looking first for the file to see if it exists - in which case it will think the README does not exist because it only sees readme, oblivious to the fact that they are the same in that fs).

If you're using extfs, on the other hand, then it might be just mv which is trying to get smart by telling you "Case changes? Are you sure?". I've seen that happen, though not on the command line. If that was the case, just delete them, and let svn update restore them. If svn update restores them in lowercase (who knows), then... well... if it's not too much of a hassle for you, I'd suggest re-checking out the entire thing (in another directory, deleting and rechecking out, whatever).
Wing Commander Universe
Tehem
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Tehem »

Now that's funny...
Ehm... are you using an ext filesystem, or fat?
Indeed i'm using a FAT filesystem with my linux OS, [edited] but the point is that i thought i'd removed that problem with a trick i read somewhere [edit : not to mount it in utf8 or something]. Apparently the problem is still there.

So i tried your actually smart suggestion
just delete them, and let svn update restore them
It's simple yet elegant. And, go figure, they are updated in uppercase :

$ svn update

Restored 'AUTHORS'
Restored 'NEWS'
Restored 'README'
At revision 10772.
Alas ! The system is somewhat shtoopid here and keeps the

...and when i ls my directory, i read them all in lowercase again :(

$ ls
acctserver.ico  buildrpm           configure.ac   English.lproj      m4scripts          resource.h      ts.ico
acinclude.auld  cgi-accountserver  copying        icon2.ico          Makefile.am        Resources.aps   undos.pl
acinclude.m4    ChangeLog          cursor1.cur    icon3.ico          makerelease.bash   Resources.rc    vc98
aclocal.auld    config.guess       cvsroot        icon4.ico          missing            Resources.RES   VegaStrikeOSXApp.pbproj
aclocal.m4      config.h.in        CYGWIN.NOTES   install            news               saveinterface   VegaStrikeOSX.icns
authors         config.log         depcomp        install-sh         objconv            src             vegastrike.spec
autom4te.cache  config.status      DOCUMENTATION  intel-mac-conf.sh  readme             stringsort.cpp
boost           config.sub         dossify.pl     launcher           README.MACOSX.rtf  ToDo.txt
bootstrap-sh    configure          doxygenConfig  license.txt        README.sgi         tools
The point is, it should have worked when i changed the names to lowercase in Makefile.am. Is someone to know where everything is addressed so that i can correct everything dealing with news, authors and readme ? And again, why is the thing able to run install ? I've got it in lowercase and it's looking for it in uppercase !

Now i'm puzzled.
Last edited by Tehem on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tehem
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Tehem »

More and more confusing...

I switched to Windows to try to get the files in uppercase since Windows is case-preserving (though not case-sensitive). Now in Windows i have the three files in uppercase. As well as, for example, the file "documentation".

So everything should be alright. But when i switch back to linux, the files are in lowercase, though "documentation" is in uppercase (as can be seen in the ls in previous post).

The problem could be in the Makefile.am. So i remove it, to svnupdate it.

But then, i'm answered :

svn update
svn: This client is too old to work with working copy '.'; please get a newer Subversion client
Of course, i've got the last svn client possible :

$ sudo apt-get install subversion
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
subversion is already the newest version.
Now what's *wrong* with it ?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Most linux programs expect case sensitiveness. If you run them with case-insensitive filesystems, most will just do weird stuff.
The allcaps to lowercase conversion is probably to handle very old (DOS-era) filesystems, which stored all names in uppercase. Since linux has always had case-sensitiveness and allcaps is un-linuxy with some very few exceptions (like README), I bet the FAT filesystem driver converts allcaps to all lowercase.
I bet you can add an option to /etc/fstab to disable that. Try "man mount" and see what options does the fat filesystem module have.
I think it's shortname=winnt
Wing Commander Universe
Tehem
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Tehem »

Heya !

It all compiled smoothly after i mounted my disk in shortname=mixed. Thank you for the tip !

Anyway, i run into another problem now : can't symlink on VFAT. Anyone knows a way to work around

~/VegaStrike/data4.x> ln -s ../vegastrike/vegastrike
~/VegaStrike/data4.x> ln -s ../vegastrike/soundserver
~/VegaStrike/data4.x> ln -s ../vssetup/src/bin/setup
?

The point being that i cannot install the game on my ext partition because of available space issue. May i compile/link/whatever a part of the thing onto the ext space without it occupying more than, say, a few MB ? Or is there a workaround ?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

you could just copy the binaries instaed of symlinking them.

Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Yes, the links are just for conveniece reasons. So you don't have to copy the binaries again once you recompiled them. (It's a nice error source BTW. You keep recompiling and changing stuff, but when running it the changes never show up...) Copying is fine.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I recommend making either shell scripts, or else always run a relative path (type in the relative path to the executable in the command line, instead of "./").

Here's an example shell script:
./vegastrike (make sure to chmod +x ./vegastrike)

#!/bin/sh

../../vegastrike/vegastrike $*
You can do a similar thing for other links.

However, GDB won't work very well on the shell script.
Tehem
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Tehem »

Alright, i wouldn't copy the files because of the warning
If we had made copies or moved the files instead of symbolic linking, we would have to do the procedure of copying or moving every time we build the executables from source.
But i believe it's not that annoying to recompile every now and then.

Anyway now i get some nice errors again, but it's ingame and the installing/compiling is alright, so i thank you all ! Great supporting there.