How to compile in Mac OSX

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
Rarok
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

How to compile in Mac OSX

Post by Rarok »

Hello, I'm interested in trying the last improvements of the game, but I never tried to compile anything in Mac, when I can found a guide about how to do it?
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... sourcecode

The one there should help a bit. Then again, maybe not, as I'm not aware of anyone who's actually followed it.

If you have any questions, just post again. If you find anything that should be added, feel free to do so!

However, beware. OSX is not very friendly.

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
Rarok
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Rarok »

Yes, I know that OSX is not the best OS to compile things, but I'm using a MacBook.
I'm going to try to compile it in a Mac-intel :roll:
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

Good Luck! It can be done, I think hellcat put some time to get it cranking on macintel, but what hackery was required I do not know :-)

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
plink212
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by plink212 »

i am currenty trying to do the same thing.
I have used mainly darwin ports, for the dependencies, however i had to use fink to install python.
In the vegastrike directory there is a script called intel-mac-conf.sh. This just calls the configure script specifying a lot of directories for the libraries, I updated this to the location of the darwin ports directories (/opt/local). I then ran the script.
On the first compile it complained that the 10.3.9 sdk were for powerpc and that did not i386. With no obvious way to change the location of the sdk files, I manually edited configure.ac and replaced 10.3.9.sdk with 10.4u.sdk it then compiled.

I am still working out the details but seems ok

Hope this helps

Tim
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

great plink212 when you get it working update the wiki :wink: so others can have the benifit of your experiece.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
plink212
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by plink212 »

I have done a bare bones addition to the wiki, with the relevant changes for macintel. If someone could try and I will try and pad out where any problems crop up.

Regards

Tim