Compiler impared seeks help

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
imacca
Merchant
Merchant

Compiler impared seeks help

Post by imacca »

Hi! Have had a look at the page about getting the SVN version, got tortise, and have downloaded the files, data.4x, music,vegastrike and vssetup.

Its from this point i have no idea what to do. Last time i used a compiler was on a PC that ran Fortran 23 years ago and i think things have changed somewhat since then.

Seems that there is a "How to" applicable to a windows user like me on the way, but not done yet. Anyone got time to send me some basic instructions on what files needed, what program to get to do the compiling, and how to use it to turn the files into a playable version of Vegastrike??

Its a great concept and i like the open ended nature. Would like to learn enough to be able to contribute, but am starting from a low knowledge base i think. 4.3 seems good but after seeing some screenshots of the latest SVN would like to have a go at that.

Thanks in advance people.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

you have everyting you need already for a playable version keep your svn reposipory clean to avoid borking it's database so right click on the data.4x folder in your repos find export repository in the tortise sub-menu this will copy the files without the db to where you want it someplace in Program Files maybe :wink: do he same with the music folder that's it create a short cut to the Launcher.exe in the bin folder and maybe another to setup.exe set your preffs and launch :D it gets very easy i currently have 10 versions of the svn for XP on my drive :lol: and the linux version as well 8) if you have problems PM me or post have fun :D to set up a build enviorment follow the guide in the wiki http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... ss.29_here

Enjoy the Choice :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

@loki: I have played it out of the SVN repo directly and it works pretty well... VS only writes to .vegastrike, so it shouldn't mess the database. The obvious advantage is that you a) save space, and b) have easy updates. SVN even updates the config file quite sanely, keeping your overrides but adding repository changes. It's pretty cool.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Thx klauss i only reexported with each new binary so i have a kind of archive :lol: besides i only have ut2k4 to keep vegastike company on a new 120Gb drive :wink: why i've been tardy in updateing my fc5 side but that's now done and i'am safely back in the *nix 8) BTW have you tried kdesvn it's a full cliet kde native part of K-Develop now :D anyway i now have my linux binaries execpt for setup got to track down gtk 1.2-dev :oops: no real hurry there is alwas gedit :wink:

@imacca addendum to the wiki you will need DX9 SDK it provides headers for open GL and driver headers for ATI and nvidia etc more m$ BS :twisted:

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Didn't try that kdesvn. In fact, I do close to nil linux interactive development (most of what I do in linux is from remote consoles).
Make and emacs are my friends, though lately I've been getting used to the more intuitive ones, like KEdit (that one's quite cool indeed). You've never felt nix power until you run those through a remote X console ;)

Anyway... not much experience with KDevelop. Last time I tried it, it was pretty green (a few years back already). I've been meaning to upgrade my SuSE8 for a while now, but it gets... troublesome. I don't have much hardware, but I do have lots of data scattered among several computers, and dumping that data is quite hard indeed. So much that I'm still stuck with kernel 2.2, believe it or not.

BTW: I've heard lots of people talk about fedora fedora fedora... what's the hype? I can't actually try it since I need to have the same distro I use at work since I do "experiments" at home where I can't disrupt business, but I'm now getting curious. Up till now, I've only heared of fedora users... that's bound to catch my attention.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

the hype boils down to fedora 6 releases today with the new Compiz eye-candy the mirrors are being hammered :lol: so much so that the update repos are down which is why i had to track down gtk 1.2 no yum :cry: the pkg manager as for SUSE got the SLED 10 release on dvd from the novemberhttp://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.phpLinux Format Magazine this morning they are also running a tutorial series on useing ORGE 3D ATM.

imacca
Merchant
Merchant

Many thanks

Post by imacca »

Thanks to Loki for the instructions. I created a directory on C: Drive, exported data.4x and music to that. Then i set up shortcuts to the launcher and setup exe files in the folder < C:/Vegastrike SVN241006(my directory name)/data.4x/bin>. Worked a treat.

Will post comments on the gameplay in the appropriate forum.

Thanks again, it was a lot easier than i thought it would be.