Compiling under VC6.0?

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
slowhand
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Compiling under VC6.0?

Post by slowhand »

Hello!

I've been having an eye on VS for a long time now and I thought I'd check out the CVS version to see what's up. I'm on summer vacation from my uni so i thought I'd have some time to tinker around with the game.

I'm no wizard with the devel stuff so naturally I ended up with a shipload of problems. I've been following the instructions in the Wiki and first tried to compile under win2k and Cygwin only to run into trouble with some missing header files. Next, I tried with M$ VC6.0 and with the workspace under e:\vegastrike\vega-proj\ only to fail again.

Thus, my problems remain as follows:
1) Most PNG files are garbled or unreadable? Should I be able to check out the data branch in binary? The "-kb" option mentioned in the Wiki doesn't work for CVS 1.11.5 (cvshome.org) and I found no remedy in their CVS manual either.
2) Compiling under VC6.0? I tried compiling with no SP and SP5 as well as under a fresh install of win2k with no luck. I've also tried checking out the CVS fresh. The main problem is that the compiler always dies as follows:

*cut*
module_builder.cpp
objects.cpp
types.cpp
common.cpp
Error executing cl.exe.

vegastrike.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
--------------------Configuration: vegastrike - Win32 Release Boost 129--------------------
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
aix_init_module.cpp
arg_to_python_base.cpp
*cut*

Compile also fails with loader.exe and texturizer.exe

Maybe I'm just stating the obvious here or maybe this problem has been resolved in the forums earlier but was wiped out by the forum crash. Overall, not being able to access the old messages is quite unfortunate to the community. I would try this under Linux but it's in repairs due to a HDD failure. Anyhow, some help would be appreciated.

-Slowhand-
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

you didn't paste the error, only THAT there was an error

try building again--then it will only attempt to build the files that cause error

and paste the WHOLE message--I dont' care if it's long

cus all you pasted is "there IS an error" which we knew already
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
slowhand
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by slowhand »

Okay, that was obvious indeed. If I now try to compile the vegastrike project I get the following:

--------------------Configuration: vegastrike - Win32 Release Boost 129--------------------
Build : warning : failed to (or don't know how to) build 'E:\vegastrike\vegastrike\src\cmd\win_dir.cpp'
Compiling...
win_dir.cpp
fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'E:\vegastrike\vegastrike\src\cmd\win_dir.cpp': No such file or directory
Error executing cl.exe.

vegastrike.exe - 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)

I hope this helps...

-Slowhand-
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

i just removed the file from the project, and seeing it still copmiled alright i'm guessing everythings just dandy...
Grusifix
Trader
Trader

Post by Grusifix »

Could it be possible to some to write howto to wiki about getting in to VS devel for Windows :wink: Something like what programs are needed. How those should be configurated etc. Well I try to kick my Putty and WinCVS up and running but this could help others after me
Open your source
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

im almost finished compiling now... and i have just done a clean install of winXP yesterday... so it shuolnd't be that hard for me to remember all the steps i took :) I'll see what i can do... But the main prob is you need at least VC 6.0... you could probably get it from a friend with broadband or the local markets (oops i didn't say that), and it costs money. :( It would be really nice if we could get VS working on mingw32 or something, or make a util that uses that free borland compiler...
Grusifix
Trader
Trader

Post by Grusifix »

zaydana wrote:It would be really nice if we could get VS working on mingw32 or something, or make a util that uses that free borland compiler...
That would be nice, but I have VC6.0 so no prob with that one.. I should also re-install win2k so clean intall tut would be nice.
Open your source