vegastrike compiles, but no vsconfig

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
andypaxo
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

vegastrike compiles, but no vsconfig

Post by andypaxo »

Hi there, I'm having trouble setting up Vegastrike on Linux (Ubuntu Dapper) - the make process appears to have succeeded, and I can run 'vegastrike' from the command line.
Running the command however just results in a complaint that the config file cannot be found. I gather that the program 'vsconfig' should be used to generate the configuration file, but this program does not seem to exist.

Not sure if this is a problem with the compilation not producing the vsconfig program, or if I'm just not setting things up right - so feel free to redirect me to a different forum if you think this is the case.

Here are the commands that I ran to do the compilation / install:

Code: Select all

svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vegastrike/trunk vegastrike
cd vegastrike/vegastrike/
aclocal
autoconf
./bootstrap-sh
./configure
make
sudo make install
Your help is greatly appreciated!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@andypaxo try vegastrike.sh --setup that should create a config file and .vegastrike dir in your home dir the launcher is not needed to run the game just vegastrike.sh i usualy add a shortcut on my desktop for both.if this does not work please post agian.

Enjoy the Choice :)
andypaxo

Post by andypaxo »

Thanks for the speedy response...

The original install did create a ~/.vegastrike with a few subdirectories in it - but no vegastrike.config

The only instance of vegastrike.sh on my system was in the download from svn in 'data4.x'; I ran this and not much seemed to happen. I did find a downloaded vegastrike.config in that directory which I'll try.

Can't try it now, as I'm at work - but I'll get back to you
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I believe the correct setup executable is "vssetup", but it doesn't build with the rest of the source tree. It deserves it's very own build system because it's just that important.

You will find it in the "vssetup" source tree, at the same level in the repository as data4.x and vegastrike.

To make a binary, go to the "src" directory inside "vssetup".

Make sure to first create a "bin" directory, or the build script will fail and make you delete all *.o files before letting you recompile again.
Then, run the "./build" perl script, and it should compile the sources.
If it works, you will have a "setup" binary in the bin directory that you can copy to /usr/local/bin. After that, you must run setup inside a vegastrike data4.x folder so that it will find the correct setup.config and vegastrike.config.

I'm thinking I will put this in the Wiki, since it's not intuitive at all (I'm hoping to get setup into the source tree someday, or rewrite it).

EDIT:
You can see it here:
HowTo:Checkout_SVN#Building_the_Setup_program
andypaxo

Post by andypaxo »

Thanks for the clear instructions!
Got the setup program compiled and running - and now vegastrike launches fine.

Thanks very much!